Read by Council Can we get better shields?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    So i have had trouble with Pirates and getting killed by my own ship sometimes too, because its an rp ship and the missles pass straight through the shields, Here is one Idea:
    1) all weapons can only pass through the hull once, and if they try and kill something inside of an rp ship, they should subtract from the shields. Thus making you think more carefully about that, also
    2) we should have a shield "Bubble" that comes off the hull 2 blocks, and can be extended by a shield extenter block, which would have a similar function to the old docking enhancer block, but instead of affecting a docked entity, it would affect the whole ship, And depending on where you place them and the way they are configured, it might have bumps, weak points, and be a little oblong. And by default the shield shoudl come off atleast 2 blocks from any ship no matter what. And the Shield would be part of the ship's turret shields, Thus the turrets would not have the need for shielding, as they ship's shield should protect them, if a turret is docked and has a bit of shields on it, then it creates its own shield bubble which would act as a shield extender for the main ship. Thus giving you some protection if your a pilot, and keeping any swarms of your own ship which may use logic swarms (like mine) from killing off the pilot,
    3) can we get swarm missles that dont hit your own faction's ships and your own turrets?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Bubble shields have been suggested umpteen million times. Bubble shields have been rejected umpteen million times.
    FSM, #41
    Bubble shields have been tried and they do not work.

In the upper right of your screen is a small 'magnifying glass' symbol. It link to the search function. Take a few minutes to try it out.

JNC

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Perhaps some iteration of #2 and #3 would be nice, but i do not like #1 one bit.

Markonius

Head of Finance at OOB
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    [Comment removed]

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Swarm missiles seek heat sources. Any heat sources. Targeting sucks, but numbers make up for it.
    A missile that targets every one except friendly targets is called a smart missile. Mb or Mp.
    It's called balance.

Markonius

Head of Finance at OOB
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Swarm missiles seek heat sources. Any heat sources. Targeting sucks, but numbers make up for it.
    A missile that targets every one except friendly targets is called a smart missile. Mb or Mp.
    It's called balance.
    Indeed, after some more thought, you are correct. Ignore my previous comment.

Reaction score
    1. What? RP has nothing to do with weapons. We can't distinguish between an RP ship and a PvP-only ship, at least not effectively. Further, if shots are going through your shields, well, get stronger shields. ANY shot or missile that hits your hull has already dropped your shields to 0, so damage cannot be reflected back into the shields.
    If by "pass through" you mean hit more than one hull block, you're very much mistaken. Weapons will always be able to punch through blocks, because you can't deal damage otherwise.

You own weapons will never hit you, unless you've got a turret with a missile-missile weapon system. I don't think that that can hit you either, though.

JNC, #2 and #3 are just wrong. That idea's been rejected by the dev's. The way I hear it, bubble shields are just too laggy and awkward for us.

Your turrets are already protected by your mothership's shields, until the mothership's shields are below 50%.....if you have shield rechargers and capacitors on the ship itself. From the sound of it, your ship has 0 shields. Are you using forcefields as shields? Because then you very much deserve what you're getting, even on an RP ship.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    for the missles passing through the ship i mean that when you fire swarms, (this will go with the new piloting system) the missles will go through your ship, and if you have passengers on board, they will be hit by the swarms coming back because they go for the closest target not apart of the ship, so any and all passengers you have will be killed by the swarms, when your trying to fight off 30 pirates
    so all weapons should go through the ship only once and not come back around to kill any passengers,

Reaction score
    Weapons passing through the ship without causing damage would be a bug, not some sort of twisted, physics-and-logic-defying feature.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Weapons passing through the ship without causing damage would be a bug, not some sort of twisted, physics-and-logic-defying feature.
    I have seen that happen, though it required a giant cannon+cannon weapon with a ton of large groups to be noticeable, maybe on multiplayer it happens more easily

Reaction score
    Why does C-C have anything to do with it? He's talking about missiles (Apparently swarmer missiles) targeting the people inside his vessel, phasing through it, then coming back around and killing his passengers. I think.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Since both cannons and missiles are projectiles (with these being more complex) i thought that both would be able to get bugged with enough lag, i also misread your post too.