Can I Play Starmade On A Dedicated Server That The Same Computer Is Hosting?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    Any how I can play with my friends on a dedicated server while playing on the same computer that's hosting the server? After what I've seen with the new Starmade, I'm not able to do something like that anymore. If anyone knows how, or something related, please tell me.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    no if you did find a way your computer probably won't be able to handle it

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Yes you can and since the client and dedicated host would be sandboxed you might get slightly better performance. Some people claim to. Though, in reality, the game already runs single player as a client connecting to a local server. So even in single player mode it is possible for a friend to join you if you allowed Java to access your LAN.

Your best bet would be to run a dedicated server off a machine with a good cpu and at least 2gb of ram. Even if the graphics card in that machine tanks it won't matter since a dedicated server doesn't render anything. With the server running off another computer you can then log yourself, your buddies and even some peeps from the cattubes*. You'll all be running around inside the universe hosted by your new server box.

Or you can get a private server setup for a few bucks a month. There are links to several services here on the site. I remember approving a business account for the forum not a few days ago. So there's some fresh blood competing for your business if you go that route.

The internet is a series of tubes filled with cats.
    http://cheezburger.com/32087553

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Yes, it is possible over a LAN. Performance is not so good to have both the server and your client on the one PC. Sandbox on it's own struggles enough to keep up with just you connected to it, let alone more clients.

Start the game, choose 'Sandbox' and start what looks like single player. The other computers on the LAN can now connect to your game using your internal LAN IP address as the host (example 192.168.1.2:4242). Doing this over the internet might be a little harder to do with network address translations not being handled by the game itself. A 3rd party NAT/VPN software (Hamachi) might be able to sort out the port forwarding so it works.

WarSong is right, better to use a 2nd box for the server, and your client on your usual computer. Playing single player 'Sandbox' style also works better this way too. I use a machine with a Core Quad CPU (quite old now), 2GB RAM, no real videocard, and not even a monitor plugged in to run my home LAN private StarMade server on and use this as my single player mode instead of 'Sandbox' mode.

Reaction score
    Okay, I get it. So, I can only use LAN or possibly Hamachi to not host a dedicated server as my friends join on right? Or just go with WarSong's method and use another computer to host. I wish the old way of servers on starmade was back up again though.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    I dunno what the issue is for most people. I ran a hamachi server from my computer on which I played with a few friends. I suffered no noticeable loss of performance running both server and my own client simultaneously. My specs are:

Processor:Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Video Card:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Memory:4.1 GB
    Operating System:Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

Less than mid-range by anybody's standards. A few large builds were going on in there too.

*shrugs*

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    I do have to point out Hamachi is not the recommended way to go. We try to steer users away from using it because it leave your system very vulnerable. If you use Hamachi please do so with great care.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    That is definitely true. I have nothing on my computer worth stealing though so it was no dramas for me. But any VPN leaves you open to attack from anybody who knows how.

Reactions: MossyStone48
    Reaction score
    Hi, i had the same issue. Go into your starmade/starmade folder and there should be a starmadededicatedserver.bat file. this will run the server and should leave you open to be able to play on it as well

Status
    Not open for further replies.