Can anyone point me towards a simple multi-floor gravity lift?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Bench has one in the logic tutorials, but I'm afraid it adds too many bells and whistles. I have limited space in my ship for the lift system, so I'm not interested in hooking up lights and what not. What I need is a simple way to move between five floors with one elevator shaft.

I also don't need to jump from floor 1 to floor 5 with one press of a button. I'm fine with pressing a button to go from floor 1 to floor 2, and again from floor 2 to floor 3, and so on.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    For simple, I think you'll need to create a staggered-floor system. It'll take up twice the space of a non-staggered shaft. With this, you just step off one cliff to the next until you reach the floor you need. (In the diagram below, the ^ and V illustrate gravity blocks.)

Code:
    ______
    |F  ^   |
    |5  V   |
    |____   |
    |F  ^   |
    |4  V   |
    |   ____|
    |F  ^   |
    |3  V   |
    |____   |
    |F  ^   |
    |2  V   |
    |   ____|
    |F  ^   |
    |1  V   |
    |_______|

Reaction score
    I usually do what Jayman suggested. I haven't really experimented beyond that though. I would also like to see other setups

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    For simple, I think you'll need to create a staggered-floor system. It'll take up twice the space of a non-staggered shaft. With this, you just step off one cliff to the next until you reach the floor you need. (In the diagram below, the ^ and V illustrate gravity blocks.)

Code:
    ______
    |F  ^   |
    |5  V   |
    |____   |
    |F  ^   |
    |4  V   |
    |   ____|
    |F  ^   |
    |3  V   |
    |____   |
    |F  ^   |
    |2  V   |
    |   ____|
    |F  ^   |
    |1  V   |
    |_______|
    Yeah, I have that set up now for other ships, but this one only has the room for a single shaft. Figuring out how to control the gravity has been the problem I've encountered. As of now, my lift allows the player to drop down to each floor one at a time, but in order to go up they have to drop all the way to the bottom level and then shoot all the way to the top so they can drop floor by floor again.

What would be cool is if I could figure out a way for a set of area triggers to be ignored when traveling in one direction. I'm wondering if it's possible to control them with a "not" or "or" block somehow. That way, the area trigger that turns on gravity when you go up a floor wouldn't stop a player from getting to the next higher floor.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    What would be cool is if I could figure out a way for a set of area triggers to be ignored when traveling in one direction. I'm wondering if it's possible to control them with a "not" or "or" block somehow. That way, the area trigger that turns on gravity when you go up a floor wouldn't stop a player from getting to the next higher floor.
    This would solve so much difficulty in making Grav Lifts in general. I really hope they implement a system to dynamically control whether or not a given area trigger will activate a gravity block through the logic system at some point.

example: Maybe a system where if a gravity block is currently receiving an active signal from a certain type of block it will prevent that gravity block to toggle.

...hmmm... off to the suggestions forum I go...

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Why not just have plex doors within the shaft that stop you from going past?
    Want to go up a floor? Open the plex and fall another level. To reset it after use, you could link an activation module to each plex layer, then have a Activation module on each floor linked to all of those plex doors. Toggle the activator on the floor before you use it and all the doors reset

Texture pack was used, but the white-ish looking blocks are activators.

Once you're at the floor you want, just walk out the door and activate the proper gravity. I dunno, I don't know much logic but this seems simple and compact.

Reactions: Mr. V
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    yeah, I built something similar in concept a number of months back for travel between 6 floors on one of my ships - it worked fairly well, but it always irked me that I had to manually hit a button while standing on a ceiling to reset the gravity when I was traveling upward in it :D