Cameras and flight control

Reaction score
    Is it not possible for a non forward facing camera to control flight?

I took off all the cameras on my ship except for one on the bottom to see if I could use it to control the ship to easily land it on a flat surface. Only get limited control, not full control including rotation or mouse movement. Is this by design or have I missed something?
    thanks!

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think the flight controls remain locked to the "forward" point of view, so you'll need to adjust for non-forward viewpoints.

Downward viewpoint:
    Pitch (up and down) should remain the same.
    Roll and Yaw should be switched. (Use Left/Right to rotate, use rotate to turn) Additionally, Yaw will be inverted. (rotating left will turn the downward viewpoint right, and vice-versa.)

Additionally, Forward/Reverse thrust and up/down thrust are reversed, so that up goes back, down goes forward, forward goes up, and reverse goes down. Left/Right thrust should remain the same.

If you aren't getting any response at all for certain directional controls, that might be an actual bug.

Reaction score
    I'm curious if they're going to change it at all or make it so you can have both control and non-control cameras. I had an incident where i was flying past a planet, went to a different view to take a look at it, instantly turned and crashed into it.

Having options would be great.

Last edited:

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    every time i turn around the non forward camera controls change. even now I dont ever fly a ship when looking out of a non forward facing camera

But i did notice that atleast for a time they gave you standard flight like if you were looking out of a forward facing camera. I had though that this was intentional so players could create Slave 1 style ships

Reaction score
    It is that way because the Great Grey One experienced himself powerless against this kind of bug plague. And yes, THIS IS A CRISIS!

(Short: He was, so far, unable to get the transformation right.)

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I once tried my hand at a simple 3D space shooter, and all I can say is there is hardly something more infuriating than rotation issues.
    On a flat 2D landscape these problems do not arise, but in 3D things are alot more difficult. The abilities of the schine engine are already absolutely fascinating (it must have been a great deal of maths work to make AI turrets/ships aim for their targets, for instance).

Still, wouldn't it technically be possible to just find a rotation matrix M that transforms the forward view to the rotated camera's view, then take the keyboard input as usual but multiply the resulting thruster output vector with the inverse of M?