Camera lock when constructing ships

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    When you're building ships there's some kind of camera lock that sets in when you rotate in one direction on a block. So you can move your mouse up to spin around three sides of the block, but then the mouse won't move up anymore. Then you have to spin your view upsidedown and pull down to continue to the fourth side of the block. It would be cool if you could freely spin in the construction view without the camera locking.
    If this doesn't make sense, go into the editor and try spinning around a placed block. You'll hit some kind of invisible wall until you rotate your view. Cool game, I'm excited to see how it progresses!

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Thanks for testing. I really appreciate that!

Do you mean the boundary you get by spinning around the block by just moving you mouse up/down?
    If so, then I made that boundary on purpose. My intentions were:

Using a restricted camera (like a 3rd person shooter game) will keep the player's orientation. I thought that people have different levels of a 3D environment perception (sorry my english ;)), and that using a completely free cam would just confuse when constructing a ship.

If you don't restrict the camera to an axis, there is no more axis the camera can reference to. Meaning, that moving the mouse right and left will no longer orbit around the fixed y axis, but around the current 'up' vector. You can see what I mean, when you fly a ship, because inFlyShip cameras aren't restricted to any axis.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    No worries, it's fun to help. I think I worded my post wrong, though. I don't mind that the camera is fixed to the axis (kind of glued to the ship) but there's some kind of boundry I run into that won't let me continue moving in the same direction until I shake the camera view around. Like, for example, if I'm circling the Y axis of a block (from the view of my monitor), it will suddenly stop me. I tried a couple ways to take a screen shot to post it, but they just turn out black. I just thought I'd post it incase it's a glitch =)

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    ;) It's really hard to describe such things.
    By fixed axis, I didn't mean the point, that the camera is fixed on (you can also move that point with WASD).
    On a ship that hasn't been moved, are you running into the wall by either moving the mouse left/right or up/down?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yeah, it's only when moving the mouse up and down. I can spin infinitely to the left and right of the starting block, but not up and down =P.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Not at all? Or just untill the angle with the top square is 90 degrees?

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Ah, ok. That is intentional for the reason I mentioned in my other reply. But I'm going to include an option to switch to a free cam in a fututre release.
    (I suck at drawing) http://files.star-made.org/images/camera-axisandfree.png

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yeah, that's exactly what I was trying to describe, czorio. You did a much better job than I did =). I still don't quite follow the logic behind it all, but that's ok, I'm sure it makes sense in the game engine.