Camera enhancements

Reaction score
    I think camera's should be upgrade-able the same as weapons and other systems. For example. Several cameras stacked would provide a magnified view or and overdrive+camera would provide a zoom effect. Something along those lines.

Reaction score
    This is a good idea. It wouldn't really be too hard as all the camera needs to do is decrease fov.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    This can be cheated a bit though, when preparing for combat, I put my FoV to extremely low levels to better select targets and hit cores.

Drybreeze

Simply complicated.
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    It would be nice if a monitor could be slaved to a camera and display what it sees. Imagine the cockpit designs or station security room implications. ..

A logical next step might be if you could jump into the monitor to see out that camera fullscreen as a shortcut that's be great too.

Reaction score
    Ho, my god, a monitor would be a minor form of hell on a game like Starmade. Epically awesome, yes, but that sounds tough as all get out.

Reactions: Drybreeze

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    It would be nice if a monitor could be slaved to a camera and display what it sees. Imagine the cockpit designs or station security room implications. ..

A logical next step might be if you could jump into the monitor to see out that camera fullscreen as a shortcut that's be great too.
    Loading two perspectives at once is very resource heavy. Maybe if it just took a snapshot every 5 seconds instead of a constant live feed.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Loading two perspectives at once is very resource heavy. Maybe if it just took a snapshot every 5 seconds instead of a constant live feed.
    I like that idea for security cameras, maybe even 1 fps so people can't just walk by without it seeing them. It needs to be very low resolution though, about the same resolution as the current texture pack. There also needs to be an option not to render them at all for people with desperately underpowered computers.

As far as the OP, we really just need a magnification +/- hotkey. That would be more user friendly than flipping through random camera groups hoping to find the one you want in the heat of battle to core the enemy.

Reaction score
    Then you run into a problem of balancing resource potential with usability. However, I think you COULD use a Monitor screen, which when clicked on, immediately links you to the camera it's connected to. Different hud design, perhaps, so it looks like you're looking at a monitor. If that monitor is also connected to the ship core, bam, no need to manually click the ship core to get inside.

Reaction score
    Monitors would be great. And stacking cameras would be even better. Even is say it was only .2X zoom per additional camera. Capped at 10% or something like that,

Reaction score
    It would be cool to be able to look around a bit when the camera isn't pointing forward on the ship.
    Could also be done by slaving a computer to it.
    Piercing Effect or something.

Reaction score
    I've also had that in my head for quite a long time, though I have also been thinking about some more options for the Screens.
    1: It would be extremely nice if they are able to show a lot more ship statistics, instead of only power- and shield-, -regeneration and -cap.
    2: Connect Screens together to make a larger screen. For example: Connect a Camera to an 2×3 screen for a larger Viewpoint.
    3: More options concerning font size.
    4: Perhaps a simple scripting language with possible interactivity and connectivity to the logic system.