camera/cockpit linked to display module

Reaction score
    Hello everyone

I think it would be nice if we could link the cockpit/camera-block to the display module so the display module could display what the camera sees.
    This could be useful in-battle for big ships that have a central bridge.
    Tell me what you think?

greetings svd321

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Yes, but one display is too small to use as a main screen for a bridge. I think it would only really be worth it if it displayed over something like 6 blocks (2x3)

Reaction score
    Yes, but one display is too small to use as a main screen for a bridge. I think it would only really be worth it if it displayed over something like 6 blocks (2x3)
    i totally agree with you.
    Maybe they could add a feature to combine displays to get a bigger screen. Something like the computercraft mod that was/is (?) a part of the minecraft tekkit modpack, where displays that were placed next to each other would fuse into one.

But if thy implement that, there should be an option to separate them in order to get two individual displays.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I hope once schema can make displays visible if behind glass.

Currently it is the only way to protect them from edit if they are public in a password-locked room.

Why is the screen itself not part of the block texture while only the text is rendered? That would allow you to customize it easier.

Reaction score
    Cool idea, it would save me from having to switch constantly from cockpit to cockpit in larger battles. Also, I'm sure the people who love to role play would also love this idea. I do agree, it would be good to have it bigger. Perhaps adjacent display blocks could be grouped as well, and merge? (No size limit, then.)

Reaction score
    >connected textures
    seriously minecraft has it space engineers has it why doesn't starmade have connected textures yet

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    How is it done?

I guess something like:
    JavaScript:
    MIRROR_NONE = 0x00
    MIRROR_X = 0x01
    MIRROR_Y = 0x10
    textureXYfrontMirror = MIRROR_NONE;
    textureXYrearMirror = MIRROR_X | MIRROR_Y;

SIZE = one of {4,8,16}
    x,y %= SIZE
    currentSide & MIRROR_X => x = SIZE-1 - x
    currentSide & MIRROR_Y => y = SIZE-1 - y
    blockTextureOverlay = texture[x<SIZE][y<SIZE]
    Overlay = darken, lighten, ...

Reactions: svd321
    Reaction score
    A lot of my latest heavy fighter/gunship class designs revolve around using display blocks as something like a monitor for a forward camera, I openly support this idea.

Reactions: SkylordLuke

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Camera blocks currently have a "viewscreen" texture on the back (opposite side of the actual camera texture) that approximates what you see when in flight mode. I'd like to see the texture actually show in low resolution what the camera is seeing. Then it would be neat if you could combine a whole wall of camera blocks as a group, and pick one as the "output" like you can with a weapon group. Then the whole wall of camera viewscreens would appear as a single viewscreen, showing the output of a single selected camera. It would be best if you could select unattached cameras as part of the "big-screen tv" camera group, so that the single large viewscreen in one part of your structure could view the output of that one remote camera. And while I'm thinking pie-in-the-sky: Maybe be able to link the viewscreen to multiple outputs, so you can somehow select your output in a way similar to how you pick which cockpit/camera you are looking through in flight mode now. Then you could select the output of different cameras on the same screen.

It may seem wasteful to have more than one block able to show full-motion viewscreen, but I think it would be a great way to keep from being locked to a specific block type for such a utility, similiar to how we have multiple decoration-only computers. Plus, it would be an easy way to create multiple adjacent viewscreens. The video output would need to be server-configurable, and probably set to False by default, to keep lesser game servers from lagging heavily under the load of re-creating the camera output in low-resolution in real-time to the texture of the same block.

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Yes I like it and had an odd/interesting thought.......

1. Combine screens = awesome display
    2. Combine even more screens = Giant display at a Station...
    3. (My mind going places) Holy S%@#! Drive(fly) in Theater's!! Find a way to stream a movie from the web /or server to those screens.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raytrace

It takes advantage of "rendering visible objects only". Increasing it to 360° view angle (with monitors) could make render much slower.

But I would like a block which channels the rays through your ship to the edge of it's boundary box (you could already do that with a hacks (transparent png, opaque block-config and no empty block inbetween - maybe as place-holder)