"...But on the bright side, rocks."

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah... So, these will be base rock for planets? Or just cool rare bits you might find?

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    ... The wonders of tiling natural textures. Though I really hope they don't look like this from far away;

(Also, I think they are rocks corresponding to their crystal type and ingot. Very interesting - Blu planets @_@)

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    ... The wonders of tiling natural textures.
    (Also, I think they are rocks corresponding to their crystal type and ingot. Very interesting - Blu planets @_@)
    Ha, yea it's no easy thing. Especially when using such small textures that repeat so often.
    Don't worry, efforts are being made to avoid exactly what you posted. They'll repeat of course, but not so harshly.

Ithirahad Hopefully Calbiri will give more info on this content closer to it's release. We're pretty excited about it!

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: Zeno9141
    Reaction score
    Are these crystals or planet terrain? I'm going to assume terrain...

1st one is alright, I'm guessing alien terrain? Will we be keeping the old vine and top stuff? I hope so.

I don't like the 2nd one for water or ice, ESPECIALLY ice. I like the ice that looks reflective IE the current one. Please Kupu keep the reflective ice, not this pacific island water crap.
    3rd one looks...radioactive. Schema said he is planning new planets, but I didn't think they'd come for a while. I like it, but I hope it isn't the Warm Terran planet's terrain...
    4th one I really love, it looks like actual lunar regolith. I'm assuming this is rock texture? I seriously love it.
    5th one looks like...some kind of lava. I don't like it.
    6th one is my favourite, it looks like actual Martian terrain and is very attractive.

Can't wait to see what magic you guys whip up with this. It looks like a awful lot of time and effort has been put into this.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    ToyotaSupra Thanks for the review, lol.

Although i should point out that some of your assessments are based of false assumptions. Try not to put these samples against or instead of current rocks / terrain. That's not the aim here. Think of this as a small cog in a larger system.

They're all rocks, not ice, not intrinsically radioactive nor lava. They're all based of real rock samples too. The "pacific island water crap" is Larimar. The green rock, Variscite. The diversity of rocks will be extended. Like i say, small cog, big system.

Glad you like some of them :P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    is there a plan to make real elements if there is then you could make so certain types of elements are found near or inside a certain rock
    red rock= iron maybe

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    is there a plan to make real elements if there is then you could make so certain types of elements are found near or inside a certain rock
    red rock= iron maybe
    Not that i'm aware, no.

Reaction score
    ToyotaSupra Thanks for the review, lol.

Although i should point out that some of your assessments are based of false assumptions. Try not to put these samples against or instead of current rocks / terrain. That's not the aim here. Think of this as a small cog in a larger system.

They're all rocks, not ice, not intrinsically radioactive nor lava. They're all based of real rock samples too. The "pacific island water crap" is Larimar. The green rock, Variscite. The diversity of rocks will be extended. Like i say, small cog, big system.

Glad you like some of them :p
    Hey, I did say it was unwanted! I assumed because they looked much more HD than the current textures.

So any chance you could tell us what you're gonna do with these new rocks? I'm guessing new planets/asteroids but I wonder if there is anything else here? I'm wondering if these are to be used in the new crystal system, will these be refined? Too early to say?

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Hey, I did say it was unwanted!
    Nah, feedback is always appreciated when presented in civility. :)

So any chance you could tell us what you're gonna do with these new rocks? ... Too early to say?
    Yea, i'm afraid it's too early (for me) to say. Hopefully more info will come out about future plans with this soon.

Reactions: ToyotaSupra

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Ha, yea it's no easy thing. Especially when using such small textures that repeat so often.
    Don't worry, efforts are being made to avoid exactly what you posted. They'll repeat of course, but not so harshly.

Ithirahad Hopefully Calbiri will give more info on this content closer to it's release. We're pretty excited about it!
    BTW Minecraft is moving to a way, where textures on top of grass and sand are rotated randomly. Maybe you should do this to make rock look less formally aligned.

Reaction score
    BTW Minecraft is moving to a way, where textures on top of grass and sand are rotated randomly. Maybe you should do this to make rock look less formally aligned.
    Aye, but MC has pixel graphics, so only a few pixels need to be changes. I like the idea, but it might take a while with graphics this quality.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Yea, i saw that. It works nicely on their pixel style, but as soon as you put that effect on something with a directional pattern (strata in rock, waves in sand, layers in ice) or anything with artificial directional lighting on the texture, it breaks.

It's also need to tile omnidirectionally, so we'd get this checkerboard pattern of the same pieces of rock all the time with a randomly rotating center. Could probably look worse that the current system.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    will water and lava flow in the future or does schema not tell you that much