Business Without Mining

Reaction score
    I think all the missions of the Fire Fly board game should be common place in starmade. I don't like that destroying worlds is the best form of mining and the best way to get money and materials. Contraband/fugitive smuggling and cargo/passenger transporting should be what people thing of when they play this game. I like bounty heads and misbehaving from fire fly too. There will always be war and mining in starmade. I see only a dead galaxy with nothing in it without some form of renewable resources. Respawning asteroids aren't enough.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    I think all the missions of the Fire Fly board game should be common place in starmade. I don't like that destroying worlds is the best form of mining and the best way to get money and materials. Contraband/fugitive smuggling and cargo/passenger transporting should be what people thing of when they play this game. I like bounty heads and misbehaving from fire fly too. There will always be war and mining in starmade. I see only a dead galaxy with nothing in it without some form of renewable resources. Respawning asteroids aren't enough.
    As it stands right now, any sort of "business", outside of mining your own stuff, is player-driven. Schine will add more "economy" stuff into the game as we go along, but what you want really requires more players (as opposed to NPCs/AI) and some sort of setup and a way to monitor the economy. Basically, you need a multiplayer server and admins who want to make your ideal universe a thing, and are willing to run and monitor the whole thing.

Reaction score
    That's too bad. From how I understand it. I can build a ship as good as anyone so I don't need products made by others. It's not like there's resources I don't feel like producing myself which I would buy from someone who can make it more cheaply than I can. I wouldn't feel like producing water, food, oxygen, jump fuel, or missiles and these things would be great to have only produced on worlds so worlds wouldn't be destroyed. Until there's things I would want to buy instead of make myself I'll keep eating worlds and destroying the galaxy a system at a time. Who needs territory when you can eat a system and leave.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    The RP server I play on has side quests and allows you to do much of what you are looking for.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Who needs territory when you can eat a system and leave.
    Owning the territory gives you a higher mining multiplier, meaning any ores or shards you mine come out at x12 instead of x3 or x6.

Asteroids do respawn, so you really don't need to move all that far, just circulate around a few systems.

As for destroying planets, I've never felt the need to. The asteroids have always been enough.

Reaction score
    I don't think asteroid respawn has been turned on in my server. I haven't seen a single asteroid in quite a while. Impressive multiplier, when my faction has a clear connection to the frontier I'll be sure to claim territory where I mine. It won't be worth holding systems if I continue to see no asteroid respawn.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I love asteroid respawn, but it's kinda false economy and well not what would really happen. Look at the tv show The Expanse. Eventually, the belt will be exhausted and the only continued resources would be in deep space. Which is coming by the way.
    On that note, the Killjoys have bounty hunting as the main theme, but they do go on various quests and missions of their own. I especially like the inter-dimension mission to get them back to their own universe. :)

As for quests, I do like it being player driven, but something built into Starmade would be nice. Even if it's like Grand-theft Starship where you can sell ships to the NPC's.

The RP server I play on has side quests and allows you to do much of what you are looking for.
    Which server would this be? I'm keen to try it.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Asteroids are large enough knowadays that planets aren't a better choice of mining, especially since you can refine and then sell carved rocks if you mine asteroids instead.

EDIT- Also, this isn't really a suggestion.

Reaction score
    That's too bad. From how I understand it. I can build a ship as good as anyone so I don't need products made by others. It's not like there's resources I don't feel like producing myself which I would buy from someone who can make it more cheaply than I can. I wouldn't feel like producing water, food, oxygen, jump fuel, or missiles and these things would be great to have only produced on worlds so worlds wouldn't be destroyed. Until there's things I would want to buy instead of make myself I'll keep eating worlds and destroying the galaxy a system at a time. Who needs territory when you can eat a system and leave.
    I don't even want to think of what it would take a clear a system of asteroids. That's got to take FOREVER