Building tool/Handheld radar jammer

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Building tool: A tool for an astronaut. Slowly builds blocks on structures, regardless of faction.

Stats:
    Range: 5 meters
    Tier 1: 60 seconds to place a block(Cost:1 million)
    Tier 2: 45 seconds to place a block(Cost:3 million)
    Tier 3: 30 seconds to place a block(Cost: 5 million)

If you press "c" on a computer or logic block, when placed your block will be automatically connected to said computer/logic.

Radar jammer: Works like the build blocker. When activated, your astronaut disappears from your radar screen. Can be deactivated by scanners. Here's the catch: When a scanner disables a handheld radar jammer, your ship's scanning systems are disabled for 3 minutes. They can be repaired if you reboot your ship. Scanners will still show you're in the sector, though.

Scenarios:
    You board a hostile ship. When he fires and breaks his scanners, your faction slips several ships by him as they cannot be detected
    You board a faction's base, and use your building tool to place several warheads, which are activated from a cloaked ship nearby. You board, and kill everyone you see.
    etc

Reactions: spunkiethefirst
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think that the "scanner breaking" feature of the jammer is very OP indeed. Remember that turrets wont (I think) fire at a jammed target. Just make it so that the player does not show up on radar (or to antipersonnel turrets) as long as he has the jammer in his hand after he has activated it. Putting it away drops the jamming.

A block deploying beam is a good idea, but I can see it being abused often by griefers. I think we had better just stick with the cutting tool.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    hmm sounds like a good way to destroy things larger than you with little effort

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I think that the "scanner breaking" feature of the jammer is very OP indeed. Remember that turrets wont (I think) fire at a jammed target. Just make it so that the player does not show up on radar (or to antipersonnel turrets) as long as he has the jammer in his hand after he has activated it. Putting it away drops the jamming.

A block deploying beam is a good idea, but I can see it being abused often by griefers. I think we had better just stick with the cutting tool.
    Turrets do fire at jammed targets.

It can be abused by greifers, but honestly they can't do anything with this that they can't do with the cutting torch.

hmm sounds like a good way to destroy things larger than you with a lot of effort
    Fixed that for you

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Turrets do fire at jammed targets.

It can be abused by greifers, but honestly they can't do anything with this that they can't do with the cutting torch.

Fixed that for you
    no my original statement was already said the way i intended to say it. no need to fix what aint broke

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well, it was wrong. You would still take ages to destroy something.
    so you beleave that you are correct above all others?
    that aside are you telling me the ability to place warheads/disingrators on ships not of your faction is not op? you can easily disable a ship with them

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    so you beleave that you are correct above all others?
    that aside are you telling me the ability to place warheads/disingrators on ships not of your faction is not op? you can easily disable a ship with them
    It takes 30-60 seconds to place one, and since they armor update they are very weak. It would take a large amount of time to completely destroy a titan.
    Things you could do:
    Reset a charging jump drive
    Remove a cockpit
    Destroy some computers
    Mess up a sensitive power design
    Blast open a door
    Destroy a logic system
    Blow open some cargo crates

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like this idea as long as it does not apply to home bases. Not sure how well the game would react if you try to split faction permissions with logic blocks you place vs ships protected logic, on the other hand, it would let you place permission blocks to use the ships logic.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Building tool: A tool for an astronaut. Slowly builds blocks on structures, regardless of faction.
    Terrible idea for so many reasons. Let me guess you also don't want it to count as a hostile action to place blocks?

The potential for griefing with this tool would be beyond the effort needed to implement it in any sane way.