Building things should be mostly optional.

Reaction score
    Now I not sure if this can even be a thing or if this is where we are heading towards but I think it could be useful. If you can just go around and complete missions and buy better space ships and space stations without having to build a thing. i think it would be a more complete game and have something to work towards. In my mind it would be more immersive that i could go around in be dinky starter ship doing jobs for factions, getting money then buying some better ships from the factions i have reputation with. Maybe make it so you can borrow their shipyard or they have some already premade ships docked in some kind of spaceship dealership.

I really want a spaceship dealer ship.

So thoughts are welcome.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Don't get me wrong, but starmade is before anything, based on building, it's the true essence of the game, so I don't see the point of playing it if you don't even try to build something :D
    What you describe us there sound more like a space GTA like game :D

Anyway, i'm sure that adding some missions with different factions would be a cool idea to add some dynamism in survival.

Reactions: Tadsf321
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I'm sure this was suggested before... And devs said all we need in their threads ;)

Reaction score
    Whilst I don't think the main appeal of Starmade will ever not be the building, I do agree that still having a worthy game experience even if you ignore it is a decent benchmark to aim for.

Reaction score
    I believe that this is the end goal. Although starmade's biggest strength is its building tools right now that doesn't mean that is the main focus of the game. In the future you'll be able to fight, trade, and survive without having to design things yourself.

Although you don't really need to build your own ship now anyway. The dock has endless options for you to choose from so you can just get a ship that way.

Reaction score
    When the new PGF fleets come out, there will be plenty of ships to experiment with in-game, with no need to do anything other than perhaps mine a bit. No decent building skills required. Just mine enough to buy and fill a blueprint, and you're set.

Erth Paradine

Server Admln & Bug Reporter
    Reaction score
    Now I not sure if this can even be a thing or if this is where we are heading towards but I think it could be useful. If you can just go around and complete missions and buy better space ships and space stations without having to build a thing. i think it would be a more complete game and have something to work towards. In my mind it would be more immersive that i could go around in be dinky starter ship doing jobs for factions, getting money then buying some better ships from the factions i have reputation with. Maybe make it so you can borrow their shipyard or they have some already premade ships docked in so kind of spaceship dealership.

I really want a spaceship dealer ship.

So thoughts are welcome.
    If all you want to do is mine, trade, buy pre-designed ships, and level-up, why does StarMade even appeal to you? Why not EVE Online or Vendetta Online?

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    I am all for being inclusive. If SM can evolve it's RP and sandbox elements further your dream of never needing to build will be realized. But...
    if you never explore the build aspect of this game you are only playing half of the game. This begs the question: why? SM without building is like pretty much every other space game out there. There are a ton of them; some are sandbox, some have a lame story, and a few allow you slam some weapons onto a few pre-made hulls. (Yawn)

Ask for more features....fine, but do NOT mess with the finest build-engine I have ever used!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    From what I understand, AI Empires/factions will be fleshed out more and you will beable to gain/lose reputation with them by assisting them is various tasks etc.
    Each faction will have its own unique style of ships which you can (presumably) aquire through gaining reputation with that faction.

OP, all of that is planned. Dont expect it soon though XD the AI Factions are a huge body of work.

Reaction score
    I think even if you don't want to build there is plenty that starmade offers. The engine itself it unique in many ways. All things in the game are blocks, meaning that environment manipulation is far more in-depth than most games. Also having a continous infinite universe is a cool feature.

I can totally see how this game could be appealing to non-builders. Even more so when the game has a lot more to it.

Reaction score
    I think some people might just want to buy premade ship and customize them a little bit. Besides one of the biggest draws for me to starmade is not actually building things (though i do enjoy that ) but how awesome it looks to have a war torn ship with massive scars, tell the tale of my epic battle.

Reaction score
    I think some people might just want to buy premade ship and customize them a little bit. Besides one of the biggest draws for me to starmade is not actually building things (though i do enjoy that ) but how awesome it looks to have a war torn ship with massive scars, tell the tale of my epic battle.
    I couldn't agree with you more. I have a fetish for seeing the aftermath of destruction. I feel like every explosion leaves a special little snowflake/scar.

JonasWalker

Old Newb
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    This honestly sounds likes a good idea personally. Having less time and resources sunk into a ship if its mostly off the shelf verses a complete custom design that took weeks to lay out and build means your likely to care less if it gets damaged or even destroyed as you have less personal investment. Possibly would actually make faction stuff more viable too along with making the game more accessible to players.

Wolverines527

Warrior/Builder
    Reaction score
    This honestly sounds likes a good idea personally. Having less time and resources sunk into a ship if its mostly off the shelf verses a complete custom design that took weeks to lay out and build means your likely to care less if it gets damaged or even destroyed as you have less personal investment. Possibly would actually make faction stuff more viable too along
    Making a universial design that is fast to build while also conserving resources would make factions more viable

PLIX

Thats XCOM baby!
    Reaction score
    its like a half made shoe it has no sole that was puninteded (another bad pun good one me) the whole urpose of the game is to build if you want to play a game about flying spaceships or other things get eve online for example why starmade is so popular is it is the only good game about space and building not counting KSP cause thats about rockets and planes but i mean like scifi spaceships

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    The whole purpose of the game is is not to build. Nor is to pilot, trade, roleplay, or fight. Admittedly, the building aspect of the game is currently the most fleshed-out, and perhaps the foremost shared interest among the current playerbase, but for the n'th time- this is alpha. Last I checked, this game was supposed to invite a wide variety of playstyles. It is, after all, a sandbox. If one is content with operating in pre-builts, focusing instad on trade, piracy or running a taxi service, that option should certianly be available. Naturally, a skilled builder who can adapt their ships with precision will still have an advantage, all things being equal, as with any other skill.

Bogdan

Grand Master of OOB
    Reaction score
    The whole purpose of the game is is not to build. Nor is to pilot, trade, roleplay, or fight. Admittedly, the building aspect of the game is currently the most fleshed-out, and perhaps the foremost shared interest among the current playerbase, but for the n'th time- this is alpha. Last I checked, this game was supposed to invite a wide variety of playstyles. It is, after all, a sandbox. If one is content with operating in pre-builts, focusing instad on trade, piracy or running a taxi service, that option should certianly be available. Naturally, a skilled builder who can adapt their ships with precision will still have an advantage, all things being equal, as with any other skill.
    Nothing really prevents one from adapting in my opinion.
    blalblagoo
    You want to work for money? Ask around on server (s) you play on which big factions need help. Here are some options I can think off atm off how you can make a living in starmade. Each off these is very profitable

Taxi/Delivery Services. (Regular Low Reward).
    E.g. I am not always up for going to collect something from point a to come back to my homebase, or if I want something delivered etc. Same goes for taking people from one place in another, just get yourself a small ship with a chaindrive and you can get anyone anywhere quickly. Charge extra for confidentiality off not revealing location or who you were transporting. Approach factions far from spawn area via pm [In case you don't know how, just right click on a player's name in chat and click private message], ask if they need a delivery, or taxi services etc. Set a fixed percentage extra e.g. If you are transporting 100k volume of material, you might want to set extra fee at 10mill. Let's not forget guarantee in case cargo is lost, for an extra cost of 1/10th of cargo value. For this you need a ship with chaindrive, high storage capacity and good shielding.

Bounty Hunter. (Rare Very High Reward).
    There already are many servers with server script commands for bounty lists. Just go around, find these people and kill them. Then leave as quick as you can. After all, it's all business. You will get some necessary credits that way. You can also check forums on the respective server (s) where you play, often these have 'bounty boards'. So that's some more credits there. Ask around using a pm [In case you don't know how, just right click on a player's name in chat and click private message]. Check factions' diplomatic relationships through the faction diplomacy tab (h->rightmost tab). Find factions that have more than 5 players and are at war with more than 2 factions. Those are good potential candidates for bounty hunter work. Approach people in pm, ask around if they have anyone they hate on server, or who they wish eliminated. That will no doubt earn you some more interesting jobs as a bounty hunter, with some factions maybe making specific requests such as capturing ship and bringing it back, or taking a pic. (Charge extra for these services so you end up with very decent amount of money). For this you will need a ship which can cloak, jam and fire at same time. All 3 are necessary if you wish to be able to perform the high-end deals, such as taking down leaders of factions who might be dangerous or careful in how they move about.

Mercenary. (Fixed Salary).
    There are very many factions off all sizes, shapes, types, genres etc., who want to cause damage to another but do not want to do it themselves. They want to avoid a war, or have another faction do the dirty work for them. They don't want the finger to be pointed at them and this is where you come in. Offer your services for a contracted period of time, asking for pre-payment and payment after each battle/kill etc. Some factions would be happy to hire you for a week/month etc. Charge significant amount of money (doesn't matter if you only come on every second day, charge for 24/7 hour service). This option leaves a lot of possibilities, such as creating a mercenary group, a freelance group etc, however it is important not to move too much towards piracy otherwise you will not be trusted to perform delicate or specific tasks. Much better to balance out jobs, not only taking raiding jobs. Don't have a ship? Find one on starmadedock. Ideally something fast, capable of jamming and/or cloaking while firing weapons and has a jump drive+scanner. Don't worry there are lots of available options. If you don't want to go through trouble of filling the bp in, just upload it, purchase from a shop for free and give to the faction you are working for. You can set that as your pre-fee. They fill it in and you work. Once you are done, they pay you 'x' amount of credits.

Reactions: JonasWalker
    Reaction score
    Well I think the game is already going there but what i want is to be able to have a game where i can just fly around and do missions and buy some cool looking ships. This does not mean get rid of the building aspect. This is supposed to be the things you can do with your newly build ship or with a premade/faction ship.
    Because building is fun and all but being able to help a NPC faction take over another faction sounds like it would be fun, and when you get burned out building your mega ship and you want a little break, being able to buy a premade ship instead of just throwing something together is something i want to be able to do.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    I'm sure that on most MP servers you could put out a message that you want to buy a ship and there would be people ready to sell to you. This is also a great way to meet other players. The additions to the game, over time, will no doubt provide options that make this kind of transaction simpler.