Building the most effective point defense

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    New declination with cleaned up bezeling. The red light block prevents the barrels from getting so low that they would otherwise get stuck on something and fail to be able to traverse.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I noticed something interesting; Once the turrets complete their initial turn towards the target there's barely any lag. Probably since they don't need to move much afterwards. Am currently at 30 turrets on my ship and it's still playable.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Yet another version of Vilab's PD idea. This time I included the tiniest beam/cannon just so as to get pretty beams showing me where they are firing (maybe). More importantly there is no projection from the rotating ball itself that would impede it rotating 360 degrees on all axes. So this is a no collision ever PD turret. Note the base (which should be well recessed into one's hull) is longer than strictly necessary and could be easily shortened at the expense of shielding. Only the top two blocks of this turret need to project above a hull for this to have a 180 degree dome of fire. Having more that that projection however will allow it a greater field of fire.

New PD turret in foreground, ready to be fired upon.

Attachments

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I just did some exhaustive testing of multi-barrel PD, reported upon in this thread. I am not posting the PD build for that, as I really do not know what the lag consequences would be for multi player servers if people used such a collision heavy system.