Building techniques collection

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    In this thread you can post your building tips and techniques. From interior to engines, from systems to cosmetics. Just make sure to use spoiler tags on images, so the thread doesn't get to overloaded.
    (also yes, I'm aware that there are thread like this already, but they are outdated)

I'll start with some interior stuff:
    First: Corridors. Try to avoid cubical 3x3 hallways. By using wedges and slabs you can have hallways which take up almost the same space, but look way better:
    If you happen to have a long, boring corridor, try to break them up with bits and bobs like shelves
    Or add structural elements every couple blocks. Here are some more examples:

Next up: Chairs. Most people use wedges as chairs. I personally dislike the look of those. Instead I use full blocks, but embed them into a slabbed floor, so they don't stick out too much:
    Or just use slabs

Last but not least: tilted displays. To compensate the fact that we don't have wedge displays I use a displays docked at a 45° angle. Perfect for bridges

Downside of those: most variables like speed, power etc. don't work because they show the stats of the docked entity, not the ones of the mothership.

Now it's up to you. Show us your techniques to help improve our all builds :D

jontyfreack

Pipe-God-Emperor of starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    I guess I shall start us off with the wonderful pipe block that can be used in many ways. The first of which I will now show you
    first make a hole on the hull of the ship, then build a 4 deep hole, add pipes like so and make sure they overlap, then add lighting in the corners of the hole to add a bit of colour, and bam, nice little detail.

Reactions: Scypio and Calhoun
    Reaction score
    All hail the Pipe, personally a meta sheet of all the youtubers. And test/example blueprints and templates. toastborst display stuff, raiben school of design, etc. This would prove very usefull