Build System Revamp, Including Quality Tiers

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    TL;DR - Sorry for the length. Read the bold subtitles to catch the gist.

It would appear that Schine is of the opinion that the existing build system needs a wholesale revamp. I have outlined my objections to that necessity elsewhere and shall not belabor the point here. This post will be my delineation of how I would approach such a redesign were I the one doing it. Hopefully this will be of some use to Schine.

The Problems to be Addressed

All Quantity, No Quality. Victory goes to the one who fields the most blocks. Assuming two player of equal building and fighting skill, building for PvP, the game pretty much boils down to whomever is bringing the most blocks to the fight. That could be a server breaking titan, or a server breaking sized fleet, but it is always as many blocks as possible and it inevitably strains or breaks a server.

There is never an incentive to bring less blocks to a fight. There is always incentive to bring more blocks to a fight.

RP versus PvP. Currently there is a severe mismatch between ships that are built for PvP and those that are built for RP. With a few notable exceptions, the vast majority of RP ships are severely hampered in their ability to compete with a similarly massed ship devoted to PvP. There currently exists little to no incentive for a PvP ship to have any sort of interior devoted to crew space. It is also the case that the extra mass of greebling and the odd shapes that can oft times make a ship more visually unique are for the most part net losses to a ship if focused on PvP.

Unintuitive Mechanics. Some current systems make little to no sense with regard to how people understand things aught to work. Chief among these is the existing power system which is so un-intuitive, it often takes weeks or months for new players to even start having a clue. Any redesign should create systems that at least are not at odds with how people's intuition would understand things.

Things to Do First

Vast man hours have been spent thus far by a large number of people building assets for the game. Most of these are used by players but much, such as the fleet competitions, are meant to be used by the game itself. Any wholesale redesign of the build system must come after additional tools have been added to facilitate the wholesale rebuilding that will necessarily follow. Chief among these extra tools should be something like:

'Fill Available Space' would fill a contained empty space with the selected block type. 'Hide All But' would make it very easy to remove unwanted blocks. 'Hollow Ship' would remove all blocks except those exposed to exterior space. 'Hollow Ship Interior' would remove all blocks that are surrounded on all faces by other blocks, so as to leave intact any interior architecture.

Crew & Quarters

This is THE solution to the PvP versus RP problem. If a ship with crew and quarters is qualitatively superior to a ship built without, then RP ships will suffer no handicap other than the builders possible skill. Crew and quarters is already planned for inclusion into the game. Little more needs to be said. Consult the brainstorm thread for more.

Addressing Quantity Versus Quality

Quality tiers need to be added for a good many blocks. Higher quality blocks should be manufacturable at a rate of ten to one. Put ten basic 'first tier' shield capacitors into a special factory so as to get one 'second tier' shield capacitor that is twice as effective as a 'first tier'. Put ten 'second tier' shield capacitors into that factory and get one 'third tier' shield capacitor with twice the capacity of a 'second tier'. Yes, this does mean that it will take one hundred times the material to get a block that is only four times as good, but it needs to be that extreme to maintain balance.

Many blocks could be upgradeable this way including, shield regenerators, thrusters, power modules, power capacitors, weapon and effect systems, etc.. The end result is that many players might well decide that the resources that would otherwise be spent on a 500K mass titan would be better spent on a third tier 5K mass light cruiser that would be a lot more fun to fly. That ship wouldn't be able to defeat a titan, not even close, but it would literally fly rings around most ships many times it's mass. Unless of course those ships were built similarly, or with even second tier gear.

If someone were able to collect one hundred times the resources needed for a 500K mass titan and use it all to build a single, third tier titan, then I dare say they deserve their domination.

Addressing Power (Keep power, but add heat.)

Concurrent with adding quality tiers would be creating three slightly different power systems. First tier power systems would require no special placement of power blocks. They are essentially fuel cells that can go anywhere. They burn fuel, which is easily processed from abundant minerals. The fuel does get burned up and requires replenishment. Due to their low power density and dispersed structure, they do not generate significant waste heat. These would be extremely easy for new players to use. Such fuel could potentially explode if struck by weapon fire.

Second tier power systems are fusion systems. They also require fuel but it is a special fuel manufactured from shards. (Pick a couple of shards that are not often used for critical blocks.) This fuel is burned at only 10% of the rate as regular fuel. Such fuel could potentially 'not' explode. Fusion power systems need to be surrounded by one layer of advanced armor, creating the incentive to concentrate them in contiguous blocks. They generate significant waste heat which must be dealt with.

Third tier power systems are zero point energy devices that pull power from the quantum field. They require no fuel. They do require two layers of advanced armor surrounding them however and they generate even more heat than fusion systems.

Thrust and Fuel

Keeping with the tiered quality, the three tiers of thrust would require the same sort of fuel as the same tiered power systems. A first tier thruster would be a chemical drive of some sort and need the same fuel as a first tier power plant, and would obviously burn such fuel to create thrust. A second tier thruster would be a fusion drive and use the same fuel as the second tier fusion power plant. A third tier thruster is a reactionless drive that requires no fuel.

Dealing with Heat

A ship/station would have a degree of heat tolerance depending upon it's total mass, heavier ships can handle more heat. Heat gets radiated away from a ship depending upon the total quantity of hull or armor blocks exposed to exterior space. Due to the way the surface area to volume ratio works, this will advantage smaller ships. Larger heavier ships might be able to tolerate more heat, but smaller ships can radiate it away faster.

I caution against making the heat radiation effect dependant upon the number of block facings exposed to exterior space. The idea is to reward textured surfaces and non-blocky shapes, not to force a particular design aesthetic that would necessarily result from such a mechanic. Heat radiation will already induce the creation of ships with long fins.

This will with one blow spell the end of monotonously constructed doom cubes. The logic of doom cubes is to maximize volume to surface area. The need to disperse heat would require maximizing surface area to volume. This will also reward players who make the effort to greeble their ships.

We could optionally add heat radiator fins which would disperse heat much more rapidly than basic hull or armor. The danger with this is that it will create an incentive to cover an entire hull with such radiators. I do not off hand have a solution for this other than to not include such fins and allow players to improvise something similar using regular hull blocks.

Possibly a heat sink block could be added that is on the order of ten times more effective at containing heat as would be the mass of an advanced armor block.

Very optionally, a third or even forth tier block could be added that would be a dimensional heat shunt block, that dumps waste heat into some other dimension at a decent rate, allowing high heat ships to be built that are not reliant upon large fin structures.

Power, Heat and Fuel Conduits.

For added complexity, and potentially greater strategy in building, we could consider adding conduits for power, heat and fuel. I feel however that this would greatly complicate building and probably be too much for all but the hardest core builders, and so I do not suggest requiring it. Rather if included, such conduits should simply confer a small bonus if properly used. If the conduit is severed due to battle damage, the bonus could potentially be lost (if that is not otherwise taxing on the combat resolution).

Ammunition

While it is tempting to consider ammunition for things like cannons and missiles, we need to be careful of allowing similarly sized ships from being able to kill an opponent with a single alpha strike. The current architecture using capacitors is currently well balanced to prevent this and I would be leery of messing with that. The current weapon systems work sufficiently well as to be kept. The desire of some players to be able to field smaller weapons that can still do their jobs can be met using the tiered quality system.

Cloaking, Jamming and Scanners

A tiered block system would allow cloak ships to be built that are much more capable than current cloak ships, both by virtue of higher power generation and lower mass for their given capacities. The systems we have in place for cloaking, jamming and scanners would have to be tweaked.

I would recommend not having any extra tiers for cloaking and jamming as they are entirely dependant upon power usage. Scanners however would be able to benefit from higher tiers. Scanners should have two functions, their current active function of revealing system maps and shutting down cloaks and jammers, and a new passive ability for scanners that is able to see a cloaked or jammed ship if the scanner ability is high enough, and the heat times mass of the cloaked/jammed ship is high enough.

A low mass, low heat cloaked ship should essentially remain undetectable unless a scanner does an active pulse. But versus a large enough (or large multiplied by higher tier capacity) scanner even while passive, should be able to detect a large enough cloaked ship that is outputting any substantial heat.

A Complete Aside:

Torpedoes could use some love. We need warheads that do not clip inside hulls, that do not ignore armor, but do substantially more damage. We also need to cause any ship firing a torpedo to automatically de-cloak. We need an automatic de-cloak if a cloaked ship gets too close. And finally we need a couple of extra AI settings, one to favor firing at torpedo armed entities, and another to automatically declare enemy to any ship firing torpedoes that target the player or otherwise ramming with a torpedo warhead.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Quality tiers only benefit the guys on top. See shores of hazeron. Two factions dominated the scene because any smaller group would be crushed before being able to pose a threat.

I feel like a broken record at this point

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Quality tiers only benefit the guys on top. See shores of hazeron. Two factions dominated the scene because any smaller group would be crushed before being able to pose a threat.
    The essential mechanic that leads to that is already in the game. He with the most blocks, wins. The difference is that right now, it scales linearly from one to (well beyond) a hundred, with one hundred times more blocks resulting in one hundred times more power. With the tiered quality mechanic I suggest, it would no longer tier linearly from one to one hundred, but with a negative logarithm that nets a player a four times increase for one hundred times the cost. The tiered quality mechanic I suggest will result in 'less' of an extreme than what exists now.

Moreover the way it works now, because it rewards the building of the biggest ships and the biggest fleets, it necessarily rewards breaking the server. We need a mechanic that rewards a player for 'not' doing that, that gives them an incentive to 'not' build two million mass ships.

I would further reiterate that a ship that has been built with tier three components is nowhere near 100 times more powerful than a ship that is built with tier one components but is therefor 100 times bigger. The bigger tier one ship will win every time. It will have 25 times more shielding and 25 times more firepower.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    The essential mechanic that leads to that is already in the game. He with the most blocks, wins. The difference is that right now, it scales linearly from one to (well beyond) a hundred, with one hundred times more blocks resulting in one hundred times more power. With the tiered quality mechanic I suggest, it would no longer tier linearly from one to one hundred, but with a negative logarithm that nets a player a four times increase for one hundred times the cost. The tiered quality mechanic I suggest will result in 'less' of an extreme than what exists now.

Moreover the way it works now, because it rewards the building of the biggest ships and the biggest fleets, it necessarily rewards breaking the server. We need a mechanic that rewards a player for 'not' doing that, that gives them an incentive to 'not' build two million mass ships.

I would further reiterate that a ship that has been built with tier three components is nowhere near 100 times more powerful than a ship that is built with tier one components but is therefor 100 times bigger. The bigger tier one ship will win every time. It will have 25 times more shielding and 25 times more firepower.
    I feel like this also counters Gigantism, because it makes people with stupid amounts of resources build higher-tiered instead of bigger.
    [doublepost=1487197918,1487197645][/doublepost]Saying that, I would favor more powerful, more complex systems instead of straight better ones. Like the advanced thrusters in FTD. I've never used them, but they can be really space efficient if you build them right.

If it's just better versions then people would just complain, no matter what, that someone else is just better. If they instead had the option to dabble in a mysterious, expensive, but potentially extremely powerful system, then they wouldn't complain as much.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    RP versus PvP. Currently there is a severe mismatch between ships that are built for PvP and those that are built for RP. With a few notable exceptions, the vast majority of RP ships are severely hampered in their ability to compete with a similarly massed ship devoted to PvP. There currently exists little to no incentive for a PvP ship to have any sort of interior devoted to crew space. It is also the case that the extra mass of greebling and the odd shapes that can oft times make a ship more visually unique are for the most part net losses to a ship if focused on PvP.
    The difference between RP and PvP designed ships is massively overstated. An RP ship with the same mass as a PvP ship will usually have much higher armor HP levels, and can take more large hits due to the interior acting like a massive amount of spaced armor. Greebling is actually beneficial in combat as it can push missile explosions further away from the main hull, reducing both shield and hull damage.

The real reason most RP ships are worse in combat than PvP ships is because the RP ship has garbage systems, and not because RP ships have inherently worse systems.

Quality tiers need to be added for a good many blocks. Higher quality blocks should be manufacturable at a rate of ten to one. Put ten basic 'first tier' shield capacitors into a special factory so as to get one 'second tier' shield capacitor that is twice as effective as a 'first tier'. Put ten 'second tier' shield capacitors into that factory and get one 'third tier' shield capacitor with twice the capacity of a 'second tier'. Yes, this does mean that it will take one hundred times the material to get a block that is only four times as good, but it needs to be that extreme to maintain balance.

This does nothing to fix the issue of more blocks being more powerful. Players are either not going to use higher tier blocks at all because it's a total waste of resources, or you're just going to have the people who are already building on the edge of game breakingly large ships, except now those ships are more powerful.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    This does nothing to fix the issue of more blocks being more powerful. Players are either not going to use higher tier blocks at all because it's a total waste of resources, or you're just going to have the people who are already building on the edge of game breakingly large ships, except now those ships are more powerful.
    I'm not so sure. I will build battleships and titans, but when I do they just get parked. They are absolutely no fun to fly. I think a great many people might well be motivated to use the materials they might otherwise put into a titan to instead build themselves the equivalent of a 5ooo mass 'Defiant' that flies like a fighter but can give a fight to a heavy cruiser. Building and flying ships like that would be a dream, even if they can't destroy everything in the game. I think a lot of the size pollution would be mitigated.

A similar scale investment could be used to build say a tier two battleminer that doesn't handle like a slugboat and can actually fight worth a damn. I think this would add a lot of extra variety to build options, as well as give people perhaps a slight pause when doing their mental calculations as to who might be an easy target.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Tiered systems do not work in a game like Starmade. They work in games where you select a single premade weapon and strap it to your premade ship.
    The top dogs will only ever use the high tier gear - preventing any other faction from advancing to the point where they can pose an effective threat, and even if a faction does get to that point? Then you're back to quantity over quality again.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Respectfully Crusade, did you even read my post?

The 'high end gear' is literally 25 times LESS powerful than using the lowest end gear if you measure it by the cost of the materials. To build any given ship with third tier gear would cost literally 100 times as much material and result in a ship with equipment that is only four times stronger. Any supposed 'Top Dog' that 'only' used top end gear would find themselves completely outclassed by everyone who did not, until such a time that, while outclassed, they managed to accumulate 25 times more material than their opponents.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Large factions do not care for the cost of materials - you should know this.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I tend to agree with crusade. Unless there is further balance, you simply have a game of who can absorb the most resources in the same timeframe, and those with large high tier ships will dominate even if other factions spend their resources on the low tier equipment.

If we have tiered equipment at all I would go with nickizzy's suggestion of those higher tiers being firmly in the realm of something you can incorporate only occasionally if you've got the time to fine tune your design, otherwise getting no real performance benefit beyond lower tiers.

I would actually suggest adding ammunition/fuel requirements on top of manufacturing costs for the highest tier equipment to function at all, making them a vulnerability if not properly supplied, and a faction dependent on high tier gear needing vastly greater, and thus more vulnerable, supply lines.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Large factions do not care for the cost of materials - you should know this.
    I have only ever played on survival servers over the last two years. Not once in that time have I seen a faction so wealthy that they could pop off titans by the dozens. Resources are indeed a major limiting factor. And even if they were not, if a faction could in fact come up with the materials for 100 titans, which would you rather they field, one titan with four times the shields and four times the firepower, or 100 titans?
    [doublepost=1487218972,1487218514][/doublepost]
    I tend to agree with crusade. Unless there is further balance, you simply have a game of who can absorb the most resources in the same timeframe...
    That is the game we have right now! Whoever can come up with the most blocks the fastest wins. There is absolutely nothing in the game to mitigate this 'win' strategy. As I just said a moment ago to Crusade, would you rather your opponent have 100 titans or 1 titan with 4 times the firepower? The tiered system weakens that strategy to the extent people use it, it does not increase the effectiveness of resource gathering. To the extent that they go for the higher end components, they actually weaken themselves in terms of raw strength. The point of the tiered components is to permit smaller ships of greater capacity which would be more fun to fly, and to give people something to work for once they've done the titan build.

Reaction score
    I have only ever played on survival servers over the last two years. Not once in that time have I seen a faction so wealthy that they could pop off titans by the dozens. Resources are indeed a major limiting factor. And even if they were not, if a faction could in fact come up with the materials for 100 titans, which would you rather they field, one titan with four times the shields and four times the firepower, or 100 titans?
    [doublepost=1487218972,1487218514][/doublepost]
    That is the game we have right now! Whoever can come up with the most blocks the fastest wins. There is absolutely nothing in the game to mitigate this 'win' strategy. As I just said a moment ago to Crusade, would you rather your opponent have 100 titans or 1 titan with 4 times the firepower? The tiered system weakens that strategy to the extent people use it, it does not increase the effectiveness of resource gathering. To the extent that they go for the higher end components, they actually weaken themselves in terms of raw strength. The point of the tiered components is to permit smaller ships of greater capacity which would be more fun to fly, and to give people something to work for once they've done the titan build.
    But couldn't you just take each ship design and click the(through hours of find/replace) tier 1 -> tier 2, and get a stronger, faster, more powerful, and just better ship for no apparent change? It's not like there's any real skill in improving your designs at this point.

I'd rather have tiers be something like regular power, then Volumetric Reactors: A Comprehensive Alternative Proposal Power System™,
    then Power System Overhaul Proposal. With more power for each one. Rough metaphor, but that's how it could work. Each version is a bit more complicated than the one before, and the higher the tier, the more powerful the system. Notice that the higher tiers also have more setup, so they can't always be used right off the bat.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    If heat is going to be used, I don't want it influencing the shape of a ship, which is what would happen. I understand the current power mechanic does this already, especially with cloakers, and that is a problem I personally want dealt with. So, with that in mind, I like the premise behind using the surface area of a ship for heat dissipation but I would adjust it to use the total block count of your ship instead. That way no shape is superior to another. Unless that's something people want, but judging the reactions to "doomcubes, and chandelier ships" I would think that's not the case.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    But couldn't you just take each ship design and click the(through hours of find/replace) tier 1 -> tier 2, and get a stronger, faster, more powerful, and just better ship for no apparent change? It's not like there's any real skill in improving your designs at this point..
    Yes and no. First off, the first and second tier power and thrust systems use different fuels. The tankage needed for first tier would likely be a lot more than needed for second. The power systems however are completely different, and unless you'd built your first tier power using the required configuration for second tier, your second tier power module blocks simply would not work. Third tier power and thrust requires no fuel and has yet another different armor requirement than second tier.

Finally, and perhaps more importantly, it is unlikely that someone would build say a 100K mass battleminer, and then mine ten times the materials it took to build it without making any upgrades, and then want to do a straight one for one swap of everything to tier two, even if they had configured it's initial construction to do so. There would be all manner of inefficiencies that would result. Tier two salvage arrays would only need to be 50 blocks long, the power soft cap (assuming it still exists) would be exceeded resulting in needlessly overlarge generators and auxiliaries, weapons that were designed to optimally penetrate armor blocks would now be too large, etc., etc..

In short, it is far more likely that people would gather sufficient resources to do iterative improvements, planning access and spaces for such upgrades, and rebuild sections entirely. At a certain point, it would make more sense to scrap the existing build entirely and rebuild it from scratch in order to better optimize it's layout. Optimizing a battleminer to tier two components would take as much effort as building a mega-titan. I doubt many people would mine that long without wanting to make tweakages. Getting that battleminer to tier three would require the material sufficient to build ten super-titans. There is no way someone will hold off on tweakage for that long to then do a highly inefficient one for one swap.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Panpiper
    I for one love how you're thinking and would prefer these changes to the game!

I could see many positive things coming from just the tier system for the start:

The tiered system sounds fun and balanced as you have to waste loads of resources to get to the next tier and every tier would always be more fun to fly.

High tiered smaller ships would also make more valuable to be sold as everyone wouldn't be able to craft them at the beginning.

This would also make exploration worthwile if there were ancient dungeons with epic hi-tier loot. There could even be missions that prompt you to find such exotic tech.

In addition to those three tiers of thrusters, there could be a tier zero anti-G drive or something like that... A slow, not very power economic engine that would not use up fuel, so you could have some backup thruster when you run out of fuel or get your uber thrusters rekt in a battle. That tier zero would also serve as hover engine for small planetary maintenance ships and ground vehicles (if there will be use for such).

Also, as you stated not in these words exactly, compared to low tier fleets, high tier gleets would have less ships that are smaller, more maneuverable - opposed to low tier fleet which would have lots of ships that are bigger and clunkier with less firepower...

...We kinda had this effect in modded a Minecraft server (IC2, redpower etc.) you could have lots of solar panels that took lots of space, or you could cram lots of cheap panels to make small advanced panel... There would be loss of efficiency/materials used, but you'd get your builds in a neat manner in small space... This resulted the high tier players going for the advanced panels eventually.

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I have only ever played on survival servers over the last two years. Not once in that time have I seen a faction so wealthy that they could pop off titans by the dozens.
    You haven't been pissing off the right kind of people, friend :P

There's always at least one group like this per server. Having a tier system will just make it worse, and will make the rampant duplication exploits even more painful for those negatively effected by them.

Reaction score
    You haven't been pissing off the right kind of people, friend :P

There's always at least one group like this per server. Having a tier system will just make it worse, and will make the rampant duplication exploits even more painful for those negatively effected by them.
    Because a titain on a server is based on what takes a certain amount of time to get the resources for. A big faction on one server with no mining bonuses sends all it's players out with mining fleets to sectors and makes a bunch of "Titains" on that server, on a x100 mining bonus server they send the players out with massive miner fleets and mine entire systems, and make their server's titans. It's all relative.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Again... If this is true, would you rather that faction gain 100% of the power of their resource gathering exploits or only 4% of it? All these arguments that some factions possess a magical ability to conjure up infinite resources is an argument FOR such a tiered system, it is not an argument AGAINST it!