Build mode lockout

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    I want to lend people ships they can't edit. Keep the build mode camera. BUT no disabling turrets or changing thruster profiles or selecting weapons modules/messing with logic. None of that. Just let them fly it, fire the weapons and use the build mode as an easy freelook camera.

My idea was to make a carrier I could load players onto and take into a hostile sector. Everyone chooses a fighter and goes out to have some fun with the hostiles. The trick is: I need to give them shipcore access without giving them build mode editing. I also want to make sure they can't change how the ship behaves (thrust, logic; so on) however I do need them to be able to access storage and medical cabinets and the like. Because once all the raiding hostiles are popped there's going to be loot and I would like folks to be able to take the loot out of storage to take home. But at the moment shipcore access means not only full flight mode but also full build mode access. Last thing I want is to recall a ship to the carrier and have it stuck because thrusters were changed or missing (not destroyed but taken) or have one opportunistic user harvest all the ship parts and suicide themselves home.

Reactions: Lukwan

Erth Paradine

Server Admln & Bug Reporter
    Reaction score
    Sounds like an "easy" approach to this could be a faction permission option that prevents entity editing, combined with a server-side script (NPC-triggered?) that shuffles a user between factions and ranks.

Or maybe a build inhibitor block that can only be removed by the owner?

Last edited:

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    i'd avoid messing with factions as a faction with zero members goes POOF and too many single user factions exist to ignore that.

tho an inter-faction squad mode would be interesting. form a squad, assign players, assign assets from any of their factions and everyone gets a privilege set. basically everyone can fly each other's assets but no one can edit them unless they match faction and rank? i ono