Build Mode in survival makes no sense

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    In build mode make it so other structures become invisible. Since you don't need build mode to dock a turret or ship. Your radar will still warn you if another ship is approaching anyhow.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    In build mode make it so other structures become invisible. Since you don't need build mode to dock a turret or ship. Your radar will still warn you if another ship is approaching anyhow.
    Eh, no thanks... I'd rather be able to see what's going on around me, as well as any nearby (possibly accidentally undocked) turrets or ships.

Reactions: MossyStone48

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    You'll know it's undocked because it disappeared. Go out and redock it or have a mate do it.
    Also if you are building without being docked to a faction home or without some sort of defense mechanism in place you better be offline with simulations disabled. Or you're going to have a bad time. Regardless of the visibility from build mode.

Reaction score
    Thanks to these that get what im saying. Why are they pissed ? dunno.

...fanboy drones.... legitimate hardcore survival experience... feels like cheating.....it looks stupid. It's not intuitive and makes no sense... is beyond ridiculous
    Presentation is a huge part of conversation. If you come into a conversation with an aggressive tone, call everyone that doesn't agree with you a "fanboy drone", cheater, stupid, or nonsensical... You better be prepared to get the same in return. You started out somewhat OK, albeit harsh... Then you jumped right off the cliff of reasonable debate by calling everyone out. When you approach a problem, don't tell the other party they are wrong and your way is the only acceptable method. It doesn't matter how much you believe it. Don't call some method stupid, ignorant, or retarded. Present your idea on what needs to be changed without demeaning the other position and you'll get a much better response.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    You'll know it's undocked because it disappeared. Go out and redock it or have a mate do it.
    Also if you are building without being docked to a faction home or without some sort of defense mechanism in place you better be offline with simulations disabled. Or you're going to have a bad time. Regardless of the visibility from build mode.
    It isn't a question of defenses; I just want to be able to see what people are doing, enemy or otherwise. And Andir , I agree fully; that's what I was trying to say but I did it in kind of an assholeish way myself.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    I'm having trouble mentally visualizing a strict need to see what anyone else not working on the same structure is really doing. As an admin I have used the build mode to peek inside of ships and bases. It has been instrumental in finding sources of lag and alerting the owner of a fix. Huge factories and undocked internal structures were the usual culprits. But since admin only structure faction override is a thing life could carry on without external structure visibility.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I'm having trouble mentally visualizing a strict need to see what anyone else not working on the same structure is really doing. As an admin I have used the build mode to peek inside of ships and bases. It has been instrumental in finding sources of lag and alerting the owner of a fix. Huge factories and undocked internal structures were the usual culprits. But since admin only structure faction override is a thing life could carry on without external structure visibility.
    Not sure if it is still a thing, but build mode camera was very useful in fleet formation, since you could get a better idea of how close you were and your angle. I honestly couldn't line up to non-galactic north without it. (thinking outside the box is fun sometimes)

That, and I cant build while confined to a docking area, since I never really know how far up or down I will extend (few times I have, the docking module itself was in the way). So looking around for enemies is something people do.

I'd also notice a random free-floating turret quicker than I would a blank space on the hull, but that's just me.

Reactions: Keptick

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I don't understand how someone could be masochistic enough to build in astronaut mode...

Reaction score
    This is what people is doing these days:
    1) Start on a survival server ...
    Second line and major fail, the only game mode is Sandbox, if the server has not been adequately configured to be 'survival' enough for you, make your own.

That's what I did, and I made it more creative (200x200x200 build area), because it's more fun for my players that way.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Several people had. Just not so bluntly. Leading with a good example I suppose.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Also, just going to ask because I don't know if this is true or not, does space engineers have the same type of advanced build options we have, or should OP play SE? >_>

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Also, just going to ask because I don't know if this is true or not, does space engineers have the same type of advanced build options we have, or should OP play SE? >_>
    no they don't,

however doesn't mean that it couldn't be an alternate game mode in starmade too
    [DOUBLEPOST=1419114699,1419114483][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Presentation is a huge part of conversation. If you come into a conversation with an aggressive tone, call everyone that doesn't agree with you a "fanboy drone", cheater, stupid, or nonsensical... You better be prepared to get the same in return. You started out somewhat OK, albeit harsh... Then you jumped right off the cliff of reasonable debate by calling everyone out. When you approach a problem, don't tell the other party they are wrong and your way is the only acceptable method. It doesn't matter how much you believe it. Don't call some method stupid, ignorant, or retarded. Present your idea on what needs to be changed without demeaning the other position and you'll get a much better response.
    I think you should look at what people said to him in the beginning of his thread. To me he did present his idea pretty firmly and has a very valid point.

Fanboy drone is actually quite a correct term. People don't like this just because it would have major changes on gameplay. But no, people completely disregard it as an alternative "hardcore" gamemode. I'm not surprised people are being called fanboys or stupid.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Fanboy drone is actually quite a correct term. People don't like this just because it would have major changes on gameplay. But no, people completely disregard it as an alternative "hardcore" gamemode. I'm not surprised people are being called fanboys or stupid.
    That's... not how it was presented... The way the idea was presented suggested that the topic's author believed that Build Mode should be completely erased from existence because it's "beyond dumb." If he had suggested it as part of an alternate game mode - or simply as a server option - I and many others would probably have agreed.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    That's... not how it was presented... The way the idea was presented suggested that the topic's author believed that Build Mode should be completely erased from existence because it's "beyond dumb." If he had suggested it as part of an alternate game mode - or simply as a server option - I and many others would probably have agreed.
    That's what I'm saying, why not suggest a compromise like I did?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Correct me if I am wrong but it seems like the to do list on the old website said something about a future "Survival" mode where you start out on a planet and progress into space. I think different gameplay modes are a planned feature. This will really be a cool feature when there are hostile alien mobs added. Just think what a challenge it will be to find and process raw materials into a ship all while defending against space bugs. Starship troopers, yeah!