Build mode improvement and new mechanics.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I'm experienced player and admin on trekster-wow.eu/starmade server.
    I think there should be change in ship building system and there should be more logic in that system. Keep in mind that there are new upcoming features like items and tools and I think that what I'm going to propose will fit better than current building system.

How new building system should look like:

In build mode you should place ghost blocks instead of physical blocks. When project will be finished we should be able to save it as a blueprint to actual blueprint list or physical blueprint item. Ghost structure should be indestructible, as far there is a ship core still, so even if our ships were teared apart anyone can fix it. Imagine building/repairing with friends ship from ghost blueprint, could be more easy and fun.
    All structures should have their own ghost file for future structure upgrades in build mode. Visibility of that ghost structure should be swichable for visual sake(is invisible normally, visible when you select welding tool or astrotechnician in hotbar).

Different ways to assembly/repair your ship/space station:

-option 1

You place your ghost structure from blueprint somewhere, grab welding tool and start assembling block by block. You gonna need used blocks in your blueprint in your inventory. Now your ghost ship will slowly become a physical one or you can speed up process by asking your friends to help you. The same for repairs.

-option 2

You go to special structure called shipyard (it can be shop temporary). Chose your blueprint and shipyard will inform you what blocks(or what amount of credits, depending server conf option) you should give them, what amount of time it will take (1sec per block?). After that you will wait for assembly and when finished it will spawn assigned to your faction (if you have any).
    And what about repairs? Well, almost the same. You go to shipyard, open repair panel while in ship and will show you amount of time to repair missing blocks and blocks(credits) you need.

-option 3

What about that "no so useful" Astrotechnician you built earlier? Now you can use it to recreate missing blocks because they are like 100% damaged block there so it can repair them even faster than your welding tool. The same for building new structures like space stations, ships, constructions on planets.

Advantages and disadvantages of this system:
    -ship can't be damaged or destroyed when you building them, because you building ghost structure not physical one
    -no ship spawn in the middle of battle or nonsense fast field repair and upgrades
    -easier recreation of damaged structures/ships even those that have been taken from the enemy after fight
    -no more mining with build block, because you will remove only ghost blocks. Using salvagers and future hand drill will have more sense.
    -roleplay. Building factions finally will have more sense
    -players will build smaller ships and it will affect servers performance
    -blueprints file sizes should remain the same
    -objects already spawned could double their files size
    -big servers will decide to reset universe
    -Schema will be nominate by players for man of the year again xD

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is a very good idea. This would be very useful for players of any style.

For some reason, I can only think of shops no longer indestructable but just regen blocks over time.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    i can\'t agree with this :| this would severly hinder large fleets and would make large ships take much longer to actually build. I do like the idea of having the ghost model of a ship\'s blueprint for repairs though.