Planned Build Mode: Flip Axis

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Dunno about anyone else, but I seem to work better on a top down build orientation, as in I find it easier to work on something when I'm slightly above it looking down than I do from below looking up.

Makes it harder for me to get enthusiastic about doing the under side of ships and stations because of the angles involved.

Could we perhaps get an option to flip the axis while in build mode so that we can work on the bottom like it was the top?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Maybe I'm one of those people for whom this suggestion cannot help, but I'm having trouble understanding. How will flipping the axis help? Do you just want to stay in one position and not "travel" to the underside of a ship? Do you want to be able to flip the ship, so that the area you are working on faces the sun, for easier viewing? Do you have a hang-up on which way the "forward" arrow is pointing while you are building?

I just don't understand what this will do for the player, but I might agree if I better understand the suggestion and the problem it solves.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You can only look "up" to 90 degrees. Not beyond that. Working from the top you can choose any angle. I get what the OP means.

edit: OK its actually the same either way but looking down and rotating seems more natural than looking up to do the same. Odd.

Last edited:

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Solution: I'm going to make a rotating ship....danm it wont work.

Reaction score
    Couldn't you just put some thrusters on for the time being and just rotate the whole ship

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Doesn't this "flip" simply happen when you "align" with blocks on the bottom of the ship? I think that is how I built my fusion torch ship, to the point where I had no idea where galactic north and up was while building. Or maybe I am mistaken or remembering wrong or build-mode alignment has changed since then.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Couldn't you just put some thrusters on for the time being and just rotate the whole ship
    The player itself would flip (top becomes bottom and bottom becomes top) This suggestion doesn't effect the ship or any player (besides the builder himself). It is simply to flip the perspective. Much like you can rotate in space engineers but then in build mode.

I definitely know some people that would love this, including me.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Doesn't this "flip" simply happen when you "align" with blocks on the bottom of the ship? I think that is how I built my fusion torch ship, to the point where I had no idea where galactic north and up was while building. Or maybe I am mistaken or remembering wrong or build-mode alignment has changed since then.
    No, because there is no aligning like that in build mode. Top is top, bottom is bottom, and thats the way it always is.

Being on bottom has a limited range of motion in where you can look, which makes it difficult to build.

This flips the ship around in build mode (which again, you cannot do currently) so that its easier to work on.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hai,
    Congrats! This suggestion has been recognised by the council and the devs, it has been added to the phabricator workflow. You can check out all the accepted suggestions that have been added to the planned list over here http://phab.starma.de/tag/group_council/
    (you have to scroll all the way to the right to see them)

I hope many more fine suggestions will come from you.

(I will totally not use this as a copy paste message)

Reactions: Edymnion