Recognized Build Mode Flashlight

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Building on pure black hull is fun and all but can get annoying when you can barely see what you're doing. Lighting mode just removes depth perception and makes it even harder. The only viable options are face your ship towards a sun (always an experience when wielding multi-million mass motherfu...ships), throw a light block down every few blocks, or go hardcore and build as an astronaut with your flashlight on.

So, how about we take the astronaut toggle flashlight and give it to the ghost of build mode too? It would make life so much easier when working with dark colours in dark areas. Couldn't be too difficult to add either since the mechanic already exists.

Reaction score
    Most of my ships are either black or white. I know your pain all to well. I'm always turning my ships towards the sun just check a line or two.

Reactions: SuperWookie
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I don't think we need a flashlight item in build mode. The lighten feature just needs to be fixed so it doesn't burn your eyes out.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Building on pure black hull is fun and all but can get annoying when you can barely see what you're doing. Lighting mode just removes depth perception and makes it even harder. The only viable options are face your ship towards a sun (always an experience when wielding multi-million mass motherfu...ships), throw a light block down every few blocks, or go hardcore and build as an astronaut with your flashlight on.

So, how about we take the astronaut toggle flashlight and give it to the ghost of build mode too? It would make life so much easier when working with dark colours in dark areas. Couldn't be too difficult to add either since the mechanic already exists.
    A flashlight mode could allow extra highlighting where it is necessary. To add to this though, perhaps the existing "lighten mode" could have a slider and at a higher setting allowing all black/darker colors to be clearly against the night sky.

Reactions: Andem

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive

This would be great, and to add to the immersion a little bit. It would be cool to see a little robot of you floating around adding and removing blocks.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Seeing as BearishMushroom's shaders largely resolve the issue, I think a whole new feature might be overkill.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Or we could just allow the free placement of light sources in build mode instead.
    That would be the same as placing a light block every now and then to see what you're doing. It would be much simpler and faster to just press a key and suddenly everything withing a certain radius in front of you is illuminated, and then press the key again and poof no more light.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    A flashlight in build mode is definitely "space-y" enough for me to approve. Even if "lighten" mode is fixed, I think a flashlight in buildmode is great along with that.

Reaction score
    or if build mode let us replace/swap all hull types without clicking all over. you could make your ship out of white hull, and click a button the switch it to black armor.

or we wait till someone makes an ingame editor like worldedit for minecraft

Reaction score
    White hull is also hard to see without a 2nd light source

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    A few new thoughts. I think a "highlight edges" and "lighten" flashlight would be better. Perhaps the diameter of the highlighting and shape could be set. For example, set it to "square" and a size to 3, and it will highlight a 3x3x3 area, centered around the block you are looking at. It could also be set to highlight and/or lighten ALL blocks, thereby replacing the existing lighten function.

Reaction score
    White hull results in me contracting "snow-blindness" and I live down in the parts of Texas it don't snow in.

Black and White standard armor are both a lot too light on detail for my liking.
    but the bigger problem is exactly as high-lit by SuperWookie, Black (the favored of hidey-types) is far too goddamn dark in build-mode.
    So the obvious solution is a build-mode flashlight, since you can actually see the different shapes with that thing.

As RavenSkySong said, the other solution is to let us select all of a Color of hull to quickswap.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Actually, that 'highlight edges' seems like a much better solution then the flashlight. It could simply be an overly texture on the blocks that inverts the color on the edges. I think that would be simpler to implement instead of messing with the lighting engine.