build mode angled axis

Reaction score
    No doubt other have thought of this, not sure if it has been suggested though. (Not sure what search terms to use to check :davetongue: and tonight I am lazy I admit.)

anyhow, would like to suggest the ability to build along 45 degree angles. Building in long straight lines along X Y and Z is ok, but being able to build in long diagonal lines would be awesome, especially for tedious wedging with heptas and tetras.
    In simple terms building along NorthWest instead of just North or West.

On large builds clicking in tetras and such one at a time to make a build look great takes so long and honestly sucks, I think this would really be a great addition if possible if only for the hours of our lives it will save.

Sure there is copy and pasting an already made line, but that can be finicky and problemtic in it's own right, mostly due to the way the build/copy/paste box aligns to structures.

Any way, that's my 2 cents, would love it if something like this was added. Cheers.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yeah, I'd like if Advanced Build mode was expanded (maybe with tabs?) so that you could not only change the overall dimension of a placement, but also line-by-line offsets. For example, to place a diagonal wall of wedges, imagine setting the X offset to 1 or -1, so that each row that is placed is moved over one block, creating a large, smooth wedge, instead of placing wedged walls one row at a time.

You wouldn't be limited to just "X" offsets. You could set Y and Z offsets, and multiple offsets at once, to "draw" in virtually any direction from the origin point.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    I'm not knocking this, I see where you're going.
    You CAN however save yourself a bunch of the tedious tetra-hepta work by using copy/paste and learning to rotate with ctrl/shift/alt+scroll. :)

Reaction score
    I'm not knocking this, I see where you're going.
    You CAN however save yourself a bunch of the tedious tetra-hepta work by using copy/paste and learning to rotate with ctrl/shift/alt+scroll. :)
    I do this, but as I said in OP, copy pasting can be a pain. I often have to add extra blocks to what I am copying to get it to copy, e.g make the copy a "cube" when it is such an angled line. then when I go to paste I then have to add extra blocks to the structure being pasted to for the paste to appear correctly as despite the ability to rotate the object, it will sink into the structure instead of sitting on top of it.

If anything the copy n paste can actually make it even more time consuming. Amgled building would eliminate all that and make the in game building a much easier, smoother and pleasant experience for all.

More so a pain getting things to line up if you're not doing symmetry work. as if it won't align properly where you need it, no option to go to the other side where it does work as it should. (an option to reverse the build areas start and end points might fix that?)

My factions used to always get me to do their wedging due to how tedious, difficult and time consuming they found it, where as despite feeling the same I have a tonne of patience, but yeah, I do not enjoy doing so anymore than they did. But hey the alternative was everyone flies chunky blocky looking ships.

Only so many hours in a day. we'd rather spend that playing than trying to get hundreds of rows wedged.
    Not so bad when you're making a small fighter or freighter, but it soon becomes a nightmare when building a 7 million+ block titan.

Anyway, this is why I made the suggestion. If I felt the current methods were working as they should I'd not have made it. ;)

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    I do this, but as I said in OP, copy pasting can be a pain. I often have to add extra blocks to what I am copying to get it to copy, e.g make the copy a "cube" when it is such an angled line. then when I go to paste I then have to add extra blocks to the structure being pasted to for the paste to appear correctly as despite the ability to rotate the object, it will sink into the structure instead of sitting on top of it.

If anything the copy n paste can actually make it even more time consuming. Amgled building would eliminate all that and make the in game building a much easier, smoother and pleasant experience for all.

More so a pain getting things to line up if you're not doing symmetry work. as if it won't align properly where you need it, no option to go to the other side where it does work as it should. (an option to reverse the build areas start and end points might fix that?)

My factions used to always get me to do their wedging due to how tedious, difficult and time consuming they found it, where as despite feeling the same I have a tonne of patience, but yeah, I do not enjoy doing so anymore than they did. But hey the alternative was everyone flies chunky blocky looking ships.

Only so many hours in a day. we'd rather spend that playing than trying to get hundreds of rows wedged.
    Not so bad when you're making a small fighter or freighter, but it soon becomes a nightmare when building a 7 million+ block titan.

Anyway, this is why I made the suggestion. If I felt the current methods were working as they should I'd not have made it. ;)
    I totally agree with you man. just sharing my current work-around experience :)
    try building a hepta/tetra combo from forward-left to rear-right. copy that as your "brush" (I save mine as "--7by8heptatetra" for example). you can then load that template and rotate to cover "most big jobs" "quicker." and just remove/replace to swap out hull types

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'd like to see subset mirror axis options.

Like lets say I'm working on building this shape: O---O
    I'd like to have an axis down the middle to mirror the O's on either side, but I'd also like a secondary mirror axis down the middle of the O so that I only had to do half the O.

Reactions: RabidBat