Recognized by Council Build helper - segments

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I couldn't think of anything better to call it, there's probably a better word.

Anyways, one thing that frequently comes up in building is wanting to place blocks in a specific pattern, such as "every 3 blocks" or "two blocks, two gaps" or whatever.

It would be really useful to have a tool to enable this to be done easily, so I drew this diagram a while back:

Essentially, it would work by setting a segment length which is how many blocks make up the segment (up to a sane maximum). This determines how many check boxes appear on the interface.

The checkboxes next to (or under) "Pattern" correspond to gaps and blocks. In the example drawing, there is one block, one gap, one block, 3 gaps, two blocks.

Segment Count is how many times the pattern will repeat.

There should also probably be an axis button or something that I forgot to draw on to specify the direction of the pattern, unless it's possible to dynamically adjust it similar to the normal block placement. Width and Height would be handy too.

Once it's all set up it would create a helper to allow you to just flood fill the placement.

I'm not familiar with the codebase, but it seems like this should be relatively easy to do given the tools that already exist in the game and it would save a significant amount of time.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I think the word you are looking for is one you used after saying you had no idea:
    :p I'd like this a lot, maybe have it be a sub-part of the paste tool, allowing the player to choose to place a row of the current clipboard?

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I've been wanting the same thing, especially when I build harvester clusters that have alternating checker board clusters handled by two different harvester computers. It would be cool to just set the pattern I want and click, all done. in particular, when the cluster is a shape or even just a circle or square.

I would use copy/paste, but that doesn't make connections to the computer even though I have the computer selected. The only way I do it these days is;

1. create a massive block in the shape I want while connected to computer 1.
    2. cut out holes in all the cannons in a checker board pattern to accomodate the cannons for the 2nd computer.
    3. select 2nd computer and fill in the holes with the additional cannons.

With a preconfigured pattern, this would be way quicker.
    Same goes for power reactors, but these copy/paste ok.

If the copy/paste worked with the logic connections I would be happy with that.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The biggest problem would be where to put this new thing, the advanced build mode is already stuffed full with tools. If I remember correctly there is almost no space left. But for the rest I think it could possibly be useful for some logic builds too.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I have long wished for the addition of "offsets" on all three axes to be added to advanced build mode. Offsets would change how subsequent blocks are placed. Imagine placing a large, angled wall consisting of wedges with just a couple of clicks.

The biggest problem would be where to put this new thing, the advanced build mode is already stuffed full with tools. If I remember correctly there is almost no space left. But for the rest I think it could possibly be useful for some logic builds too.
    I think the answer to that is tabs. Split up the advanced build mode overlay with tabs and put different controls on different tabs.

Example Tab Layout:
    Templates, Edit (which would contain the Copy/Paste/Replace stuff), Placement (which would contain the size and offset settings), Mirror (which would contain mirror and symmetry), Shapes, Limits (in-game size/shape limit editing with number-entry!), Misc.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I have long wished for the addition of "offsets" on all three axes to be added to advanced build mode. Offsets would change how subsequent blocks are placed. Imagine placing a large, angled wall consisting of wedges with just a couple of clicks.

I think the answer to that is tabs. Split up the advanced build mode overlay with tabs and put different controls on different tabs.

Example Tab Layout:
    Templates, Edit (which would contain the Copy/Paste/Replace stuff), Placement (which would contain the size and offset settings), Mirror (which would contain mirror and symmetry), Shapes, Limits (in-game size/shape limit editing with number-entry!), Misc.
    I would then rather go for pages and keep everything that is there right now on page 1 and add new things to page 2, you would select the page on the top of the advanced build mode.

Reaction score
    Or just put tabs for advanced means of doing things that are already on the adv build mode screen, and keep the build panel as it is now. As in, this new advanced screen contains these segments and maybe some ways to customize other functionality.....like mirroring something using two mirrors but only having it appear in one quadrant.