Recognized Build Helper - Change how to select the center

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Hello. So this idea is to make the build helper select a block exactly like how the create docking has you select where the core will go. The reason I suggest this is because many times I want to create a shape over an area that already has a docked entity, and right now I have to undock things and redock them. Sometimes this isn't possible, so my options become limited.

Badebadebadee, That's all folks! :D

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Could you rephrase the suggestion? Or add example pictures/drawings? I have problems understanding what you are suggesting. Thanks.

Please tag or quote me to get a faster response.

ZektorSK

Poor boi from northern Hungary ^^
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Hello. So this idea is to make the build helper select a block exactly like how the create docking has you select where the core will go. The reason I suggest this is because many times I want to create a shape over an area that already has a docked entity, and right now I have to undock things and redock them. Sometimes this isn't possible, so my options become limited.

Badebadebadee, That's all folks! :D
    You should first build the ship, then the turrets..
    But what did you mean with that suggestion ?

=EDIT=

I think you mean when you are building HP generated circles, that the strucuture will be placed like the docking ?

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Could you rephrase the suggestion? Or add example pictures/drawings? I have problems understanding what you are suggesting. Thanks.

Ok, no problemo. I will do my best to clarify. :D When you use the build helper, you have to select a block as the center. Right now it has to be an existing block on the entity you currently in, as shown here.

This is problematic if that area is blocked by another entity, or if you just want to build in the air somewhere, you have to basically build up to that spot and undock any entities that might be in the way. For example, here I am trying to place the center of a circle where the core is for this docked entity. But I cannot. The selector simply passes right through to another block that is on the base I am currently editing.

Now, with the "Create docking" mechanism, it starts the same way, except you have to select a rail, but then the SECOND selector actually selects from the air.

This is what I'm proposing we have as an option to select the center of the build helper. This would allow us to easily place the center of the build helper anywhere, whether it's blocked by another entity, just in the air, or already part of the structure we are editing. This could be set as an option, perhaps call it "Freeform Selection." It would look something like this:

Well, I hope that helps! :) Have a great day!

[DOUBLEPOST=1462535207,1462535120][/DOUBLEPOST]

I responded, but I'm not sure if I had done it as a reply to your post (I added the quote in after the fact), so I'm just putting reply here to ensure you get tagged! Thanks again!

Reactions: HolyCookie

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    If you edit the quote in after posting, it will not tag HolyCookie.
    But this will. ;)
    Yeah, that's why I did a second response to him, where I replied and tagged him or her, just in case. Thank you though for also tagging HolyCookie for me. :)

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Yes. This is probably the way a lot of build mode placement things should be handled and I would like for it to operate this way for the build helper. Thanks for the suggestions.