Build Block and Advanced Build Mode abuse

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    At some point the access to advanced build mode using a build block on bases and planets needs to be curtailed to faction home bases (not talking about ships at this point, just bases - especially those that are spawned by the server).

Using a build block one can simply place it on a base or planet and enter advanced build mode, set up a 10 by 10 by 10 block and start removing massive chunks.

This negates the usefulness of salvagers, even the need of the item in the game at a certain level.

I've tried to think of ways to keep both in the game and resticting 'removal' of blocks in advanced build mode in large chunks seems to be the best way. I hope you do somethgin about this later on.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Advanced build mode options should only be available in a legitimate dock. No dock means building by hand.

NPC shops would need buffs to have have moderate sized docks, but that shouldn\'t be a problem.

Should build blocks even exist in game? They seem to be more useful for exploits than any legitimate construction.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Build blocks are the only way to enter build mode for anything that doesn\'t have a ship core, I.E. player-made stations and planetary developements. Also, what do you mean by \'dock\' exactly? Ships need to be docked to another ship/station to be built? If shops have moderate sized docks, people would need to build shipyards to create huge ships (Which would be neat). But how would loading schematics work with this, hmm?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Blocks can still be modified without build mode. That isn\'t a problem.

Docks already exist as the docking module and docking enhancer. The area generated by these systems are easy to use as construction yards for all the advanced build features. That keeps build features from being abused against the world.

Loading ships could be a direct spawning process, or could be part of a more complex constructon/repair process. The latter is likely to be added. Obviously, it would not be possible to load a ship larger than the dock.

> But what about building space stations?

Ah, but that\'s the best part. Players would need construction vessels- ships with massive docks that allow large scale construction projects. Small ships build medium stations, which build bigger ships to build huge stations. The problem practically solves itself. No build block is strictly required- just an ability to construct things without a ship core.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Instead of using build blocks, there should be a space station core when you start a space station. That way you can enter advanced build mode only in ships and your own space station.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    space stations need to have their own core and restrictions should be placed on planets and asteroids. i can understand why they would have it set up like it is currently for testing reasons but in the future it will need to be changed.

Reaction score
    I believe a solution to this problem that I have thought up is to have an option to \"LOCK\" your ship from any edits and this would be password protected. Also this would prevent any edits within build mode or with out to your ship. This could be turned off by simply switching to build mode typing in the password. An option to share build-mode to your faction would aslso be available.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    i have enough trouble remembering where i put my keys let alone the passwords i use XD

why not just lock it to user ID? that way you can grab your ship and run if your in a hurry. the other thing is what would you do when a few people are working on a ship? I\'ve got a few friends working on projects together and it could be hard to manage but i totally agree with having a way to protect your stuff. the last thing anybody wants is their stuff stolen or changed without their permission but i honestly see this game become very team based so having a way for people to work together is a must.

i would recommend using the faction module for this but if i get into a large faction i may not want everyone been able to touch my stuff.

ideas?