Bugs that are non-reproducible

Reaction score
    Here is a place to post your bugs you cant get to occur again. I will start out with mine that occurred tonight.

Dev build v 0.200.124
    Was just building and moved out to see an over all view and saw this:
    20171021222324_1.jpg
    Here is it again with a build helper to show that isn't what it is:
    20171021230339_1.jpg
    Now lets see yours...

Last edited:

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    DukeofRealms is correct. That is a feature, which is currently lacking other GUI elements and some other block related systems.
    It should be more clear what it is, and how it works in the next few builds.

Reaction score
    Well, now I have to spend the next 500 hours trying to reproduce it figuring out what this feature is. o_O:thinking:

Update: got it back and it wont go away :confused:

Last edited:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Presumably, it's a visualization of the stabilizer radius, but is missing a shader or something to make it not look horrible and obscure your ability to see what's inside it. I'd have to go in and look myself, though.

The_Owl

Alpha is not an excuse
    Reaction score
    Schine Pocket sun, As seen on TV.

From JML

Reactions: JinM

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    ...Okay, I've managed to figure out what it is, and it is not a bug. Here is how it works.
    When you place down a group of shield rechargers and some shield capacitors, then have shield rechargers or capacitors selected in your building hotbar, you should see this (if not, relog/restart the game client):

That bubble is your shield radius. No, it is NOT A BUBBLE SHIELD, but it indicates the maximum radius in which the shields from your generator will fill capacitors and protect blocks. Blocks outside that radius will not be shielded. Larger generator groups have a larger radius.

Those pink line things are two arrows, showing that the shield capacitor groups are associated with that shield generator module.

If you try to put a shield generator group in the radius of another group, what you get is this:

This means that the second shield generator is not active. Note how the arrows for the shield capacitors still point towards the first group of shield generators, and not the second. If two or more generators exist inside each other's effect area, only the largest and most powerful one will be active. If the areas overlap but the generators are only within their own bubble, both shielding areas will work, but the larger group seems to take precedence in the overlap area. (Don't quote me on this, as it may not be correct.)

Again, as apparently this is a common misconception, these are not bubble shields. Projectiles travelling into the bubble will not be stopped by the shields until they hit a block inside the radius.

Reactions: JinM
    Reaction score
    updated my Dev build today and I will have to say you are right. Defiantly interesting the direction they are going with this. Looks like one may need to spread out your shields on the ship or face areas on larger ships that wont be shielded.

Just glad the giant white sphere is gone:
    20171024182347_1.jpg

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    That's a lot of random separate shield blobs... Just for manageability and maintenance's sake, I wouldn't do that even in release build/old systems. o_O

Reaction score
    In Dev build v0.200.133 they updated it in such a way that is what you see closer in. However, if you pan out you see an over all shield effective area (guess).
    20171024184250_1.jpg
    Going out on a limb but due to there being separate bubbles for recharge and capacitor i would assume that there will be some sort of relationship distance between them in the future.

[Please dont judge build, still testing...]

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    This is a very intersting development, and I think it deserves it's own thread.
    Just some thoughts:
    -Will you beable to have seperate shielding systems for your ship?
    -Or is the radius simply where your total shield will cover?
    -If there the possibility of being able to have seperate shieliding for internal components?
    -What is counted as a group? Would this encourage grouping your shield capacitors togther with some lines out to include the rest of your ship? Or does having multiple groups not matter as long as they count your ship?
    -How would this work with damage? Does knocking out shield capacitors in an area remove shielding from there?
    -What sort of coding is being used? How performance intentise is it?

Thanks for the new development devs!

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    This is a very intersting development, and I think it deserves it's own thread.
    Just some thoughts:
    1. Will you beable to have seperate shielding systems for your ship?
    2. Or is the radius simply where your total shield will cover?
    3. If there the possibility of being able to have seperate shieliding for internal components?
    4. What is counted as a group? Would this encourage grouping your shield capacitors togther with some lines out to include the rest of your ship? Or does having multiple groups not matter as long as they count your ship?
    5. How would this work with damage? Does knocking out shield capacitors in an area remove shielding from there?
    6. What sort of coding is being used? How performance intentise is it?

Thanks for the new development devs!
    1. Each shield group has its own radius, its own recharge and its own capacity.
    2. Radius is for the local shield group, there's no total shields anymore (unless you use old system).
    3. See 1 and 2
    4. No touching required, just that 2 groups need to be "close" to auto link up. We're probably going to end up changing some of it though but the auto link system seems to be quite good.
    5. Any block that falls within a shield radius, is shielded. As soon as that particular shield is destroyed or emptied, it starts taking damage. It is possible to have multiple local shields overlap, it's just not allow that the center point of 1 shield sphere is part
    6. Performance should be just fine although you wouldn't really be allowed to have a huge amount of separate, small/big shields overlapping with each other.

Reaction score
    1. Each shield group has its own radius, its own recharge and its own capacity.
    2. Radius is for the local shield group, there's no total shields anymore (unless you use old system).
    3. See 1 and 2
    4. No touching required, just that 2 groups need to be "close" to auto link up. We're probably going to end up changing some of it though but the auto link system seems to be quite good.
    5. Any block that falls within a shield radius, is shielded. As soon as that particular shield is destroyed or emptied, it starts taking damage. It is possible to have multiple local shields overlap, it's just not allow that the center point of 1 shield sphere is part
    6. Performance should be just fine although you wouldn't really be allowed to have a huge amount of separate, small/big shields overlapping with each other.
    Are there still shield capacitor blocks? Or only Shield generator blocks?

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Are there still shield capacitor blocks? Or only Shield generator blocks?
    In the current dev build, we re-use the shield cap and shield rechargers for this. 2 new blocks would be a bit cleaner but we aren't going to take away the ability to customize the shield HP vs its Shield regen.
    There's also shield radius now, that's most likely just going to scale with the shield group size though.

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    In the current dev build, we re-use the shield cap and shield rechargers for this. 2 new blocks would be a bit cleaner but we aren't going to take away the ability to customize the shield HP vs its Shield regen.
    There's also shield radius now, that's most likely just going to scale with the shield group size though.
    And the ability to turn seperate shield generator on/off (with logic)? Is that allready a thing or is it planned?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Seems that tying regen to radius isn't the best idea. The current setup effectively favors large shield regen over large storage, to get the maximum possible coverage and avoid multiple systems that don't help you if you're not getting shot in that area (effectively wasting power). It's a bit more complicated, but I find that this calls for a third, 'shield projector' block.

The added complexity of having three blocks for shields seems acceptable to me, as they're supposed to be an 'advanced' form of protection anyway.