Bugged Turrets

Reaction score
    I have been building a 150m long ship for the last week. This evening I was finialy able to mount turrets on it to test there placement when I encounted a serious bug. I had noticed while I had one turret mounted to the hull it kept sitting at a slightly weird angle when shifted out of the turret view by pressing the UP or Down arrow. However it stoped or so I thought after a few minuets and I continued mounting the rest of the turrets. Everything went fine as I placed Turret after turret.

However once all of them were attached I started to remove the engins off of the turrets switching between them using the UP and Down key. I suddenly noticed all the turrets were at weird angels. Not only this but two of them were upside down! The turret mounting points are correctly positioned but the turret is flipped 180 degrees at a weird angle. Its not even sitting even to its pivit axis. I have taken screen shots of this and will upload them later when I have the time.

A few points on this Bug.

1. My turrets mounts are only one square appart from their lower counterparts, but even removing the lower opposit facing mounts did nothing to correct the bug.

2. None of my turret enhances were attached to the turret mounts. However I did try to attach one of them but there was no change and the turret was still bugged.

3. Only the lower backwards facing turrets flipped 180 degrees into the upright position. However all of the turrets were sitting at an angle they should not have been able to obtain under normal conditions.

4. The two upside down turrets controls were reversed (Or functioning normaly if the turrets had not been incorrectly flipped )

5. I did not encounter the bug until I switched between turret views using the Up and Down arrow keys.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    For me to replicate this, I only have to make a ship of any size and then hand-make any turret.

The first time I attach it, there\'s about a 80% chance after adjusting and fiddling around with it, it will skew 30 degrees to the right (along the front-and-back Z axis), and 10 degrees back as its default facing. This happens in flight mode, not in build mode. I\'m not exactly sure what specific action causes it for me.

When I removed the broken turrets and reattached them anywhere, they had the same skewed-angle problem with many of the quirks you mentioned.

Workaround:

After I finish designing a turret for its size, remove it, register it in the catalog, then remake an identical turret from the shop, it doesn\'t happen again with the new turret, ever.

I think it might be related to using \"x\" to make the turrets? But again, not exactly sure. It seems kinda sporadic, albeit frequent.

Reaction score
    While the error your describing sounds similar to mine I did note some differances. I had no issues with the origional turret until I copied it several times and attached all the others. None of the turrets malfuncioned upon attaching them they malfunctioned after I used the UP and DOWN keys to cycle through views.

In the picture below you will note that the bottom turrets are flipped 180 degrees. None the less their controls are still aligned as through the turret was upside down (properly aligned). They are however skewed at strange angels. I have saved this hull to blueprint and reproduced it. It was not skewed when I saved it, nor when I purchased it into the server. However the moment I climbed in and started adjusting he turrets and using the UP and DOWN keys to cycle through views things ended up as pictured below.

I hope this helps, if I can provide more information to track down this turret breaking bug please just ask.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    when you change the direction a turret is facing in any way and then switch out of it and in again.

Easiest way to reproduce the bug is:
    - Enter in a turret
    - switch to flight mode
    - press and hold C until it will aling to sector but may have a wrong position for the docking port
    - while still holding C press R to exit the turret, the angle seems to be saved in that position

This also happens on update/conversion of older blueprints. Since the saved orientation for the \'docking blocks\' did change several times.

To \'repair\' it again you have to:

- undock it
    - place and remove a single block below the core (to reset its angle)
    - redock

instant fix :P

Didnt have this bug while switching through a ships turret that had the turrets in a \'proper\' position before.
    After repairing all turrets angles it should never break again on UP/DOWN switching.

- Andy

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    For me what fixes it is:

1. Undocking and re-docking (usually fixes it)

2. Logging out and back in, far away from other players so that the sector stops loading, and re-loads when you join (worked the first few times I had the problem, not it dosen\'t seem to work often at all)

I am using an old blueprint, but none of these turret docking units were on it orriginally.

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    and redocking fixes it, without having to recalc the area it is docked to...

Do you play with the option:
    Ignore_docking_area
    enabled?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Is there a way to check if it is enabled/disabled on a server? I PMed the server owner, so either way I\'ll figure out.

Your fix seems to work sometimes, about the same ammount of the time as undocking and re-docking which makes me think that placing a block under the core dosen\'t have an effect (for me anyway) I have also taken the docking module off, and put it back on, but it still happens :-/

I\'m not entirely sure what the ignore_docking_area config does, but if it ignores obstructions in the docking area, or lets you dock any sized thing on the dock, then it is deffinitely disabled.

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    not sure about any other possible reasons for it to happen.

(Since on my computer it may bug on conversion, and after repairing once it stays okay.)

Any other things to make this somehow reproducable?
    (Maybe its related to the server only? Does this happen in single player on your client too?)

- Andy

Reaction score
    Same thing happens on our server. Turrets are rotated completely out of alignment so the turrets are docked on their edges - not even close to the ship core. Our fix is to delete the entire ship and all it\'s turrets, and then respawn it, but that doesn\'t guarantee that it won\'t happen the next time someone loads the sector the ship is in. This happens most frequently with any ship that was built before the latest patch.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'ve gotten this issue as well, when cycling through turrets using uo/down. One of the ships was built during the prebuild, the other was built during the previous stable release. It also happened a couple times just when exiting the turret.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    But cycling up/down through the turrets is a definite cause for me. I have a ship with 8 turrets on it, and 5 of them are on the sides/bottom. All 5 of those ended up thinking they were on top of the ship, which made construction on the ship incredibly difficult. This ship was built quite some time ago.

The first ship I had this problem on was built way back before 0.00934, but didn\'t have any turrets on it at that point. They were all added in the current release.

Trying to fix the turrets is almost like playing whack-a-mole. You get one to work right, and then two more of them act up.

Reaction score
    My experince has been very similar to everyone else\'s. All I can add is that I am currently building in my own private sandbox and not on a server.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    in the above post it was single player where 5/8 turrets were upside down. I found out that if you rotate your ship so it is sideways, but the turret will be aligned with the sector when you hit C and switch out of it then it will (kind of if you get it lined up juuust right) go back to a normal state, or at least so it is functional. Not sure if that information helps or not.

If there are any settings I can switch up in singleplayer to see if it fixes the problem please let me know, I\'ll do just about anything to help figure out the cause of this bug so it can be fixed. I don\'t know of any settings that would effect it other than Ignore_Docking_area, and as far as I can tell that didn\'t change anything with my turrets.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Or is it just in the works to be fixed in a patch? I completley understand, finding the cause and fixing it takes time and effort :)

Reaction score
    I\'m also wondering if there has been any progress on tracking down this game breaking bug. I do realise there are many priorities right now and I just saw the new planet concept video which was frankly amazing. None the less it does little good to advance the game if it breaks everything that was working. Yes I realise I\'m only talking about turrets but those are still a major componet of this games combat. I guess Im just looking for a nod from someone who\'s in a position to know that its being worked on. Not trying to armchair program here.

Thank you,

Gopher