[Bug] Linux+nVidia Optimus+Starmade imcompatable.

Reaction score
    More and more laptops these days have nVidia optimus systems. Mine just happens to have one as well. I run Linux Ubuntu 13.04, and cannot get StarMade to use my nVidia GPU. It works fine on my Intel, but if I start StarMade with 'optirun java -jar StarMade-Starter.jar', The launcher starts, but once you hit start game, it does not run StarMade.jar.

Hirearchy:

My situation:

'CTRL-ALT-T' -> 'optirun java -jar StarMade-Starter.jar' -> Launcher Starts. -> Hits start Game -> Terminal output normal, terminal shuts down. Nothing happens.

Normal situation:

'CTRL-ALT-T' -> 'java -jar StarMade-Starter.jar' -> Launcher Starts. -> Hits start Game -> Terminal output normal, StarMade.jar starts, game plays as normal.

I beleive this has to do with the way StarMade.jar is started. If you could fix this, it'd be great.

Also, awesome game schema and beetlebear, keep up the good work!

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hi,

I need more output of what happens. Is there an error message?

Starting the launcher with that option is also probably not the right way, since the launcher starts another java instance of the game. I don\'t know how exactly the command works.

You can start StarMade.jar manually with the \"-force\" option. Be sure to reserve enough memory with -Xmx, or starmade will probably crash instantly (since the default memory is only 64MB)

ImperialDonut

Overlord of the North Pole
    Reaction score
    But can\'t you just set Starmade.exe to use the discrete card in the nvidia control panel?

That\'s how I got minecraft.jar to work on my old alienware laptop.

Reaction score
    Schema, there is no debug errors or anything, so theres nothing to post.

I will try what you said, so far, it seems to work.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    look into using

cd folder with StarMade-Starter.jar in it

DRI_PRIME=1 java -jar StarMade-Starter.jar

you\'ll have to do some reading .. this is using the NU and intel drivers not the NVIDIA drivers...

I was getting 100+ fps prior to the 75 update... (if i load single player 73 fps over 100) if i load with 75 fps is less then 5

this is with archlinux i can get versions if needed.. but as i said everthing was amazingly stable untill the 75 update any logs or tests i can do let me know

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ok Figured it out... it\'s the BLOOM Effect option must be turned off....

not really sure how it got turned on...

Traxie21 if you need help with getting it running on linux hunt me down... i\'m on starmade.teamspeak3.com server

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hi,

I had the same problem : a laptop on linux, with optimus and I can\'t run starmade with bumblebee ; when i do \"optirun java -jar StarMade-Starter.jar\", the launcher start but the game not.

But I can use \"optirun bash\", and next \"java -jar StarMade-Starter.jar\", it will launch start-made with your Nvidia GPU, it works for me.

I hope that this solution works for you too ;)

ps : forgive me for my english, it is not my natural language.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have the same issue with optimus.
    I have tested your solution beletteFurtive but I think that this do not resolve the problem. The game is launched but the nvidia card is not used. The solution will not be to launch the starter with optimus but the game itself. I think that the starter launch a new instance of java and do not inherit of the optimus context...