Buffing power tanks, and limited gens

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    YEAH, Energy shouldn\'t be something like \"Oh I\'m not generating enough energy, lets slap on a few more gens\". Mass and energy balance and management should be dreadfully imporant.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    What about OCx10 ships? Lowering power removes their concept from the game.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    power tanks would kind of repalce power gens. Yes it couldn\'t permacloak. But a cloak ship could cloak and jam for at least a few minutes specialized cloakers maybe even up to 10 minutes.. IT doesn\'t matter, you could go into the next sector or behind an asteriod, turn off cloak while leaving jamming on, and regenerate.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    For a 100 mass ship, this costs 150,000 e/sec. To cloak for one solid minute would need a power storage of nine million energy, this does not take into account how much additional energy it would cost to fuel the engines. Unless the mechanics behind Cloaking are changed, it is completely unrealistic even with you start with giving power tanks five thousand capasity increase each, it would take close to two-thousand tanks to hold that much power.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Holy crap. Did not think about amount. Cloaking definately needs to be changed as well :P. These major changes would probably put the game in teetering balancing for a while :P. Power tanks making cloaking and jamming only be possible for a limited time would allow ships that aren\'t even built for cloaking the ability to cloak with some refitting (Probably major with some ships that don\'t gen or store that much). Not for very long but still :P. Though i\'m sure non-speicalised ships will never survive the later rounds of balancing, it would never work, OP stuffs and being too easy to run away.

Reaction score
    I wholeheartedly agree with the OP, although with cloaking in mind I guess we have to be careful about limiting those in regards to cloaking and all. But, I\'m all for making power tanks WAAAAYYY better for smaller ships.

Also Elijah, with this power change in mind, I\'d urge you to take a peek at http://star-made.org/content/overhaul-ship-core

I\'d value some of your feedback there.

Reaction score
    Capacitor ships are a good idea, and powertanks should be buffed, but power generators should not be nerfed. Also, unlike everyone thinks, bigger does not mean slower. People think that a megacannon would take a long time to reload because of massive bullets, but as the regular one has a reloading system so does this one, and to scale, and there is no reason that would be slow because the things that move it would be bigger too. I get your idea but power modules should not have to refuel, as that would mean having to get fuel somehow, and would end in everyone out of gas. Cloaking shouldn\'t be changed just because you want capacitor ships to be able to use them, as that is unfair. Capacitor ships would be good carrier ships as the carrier could refuel them, but should not be granted overpoweredness because we like them.

Please look at my post and give feedback and critisism to make it better:
    http://star-made.org/content/faction-funds-clearance-and-more

Reaction score
    Power generation should get more effecient as it goes, if you have noticed. Power storage would be good for fighters but useless for capital ships as it would be a waste to need a giant capital ship to power yours instead of just putting them in one.

Reaction score
    I feel that nerfing the regen more would cripple most capital ships. As it stands mine has 4.6 mil e/sec. And I STILL cant fire and move indefinitely. So to compensate I have an utterly MASSIVE power tank. With it I can even radar jam for some time. But i feel that any further \"nerfs\" to power would only serve to hurt capitals. I like fighters but I still think having a giant ship with giant tanks should have its perks :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Might want to pull one trick I have seen. Have power capacity of around 20+ million. Dock 23x23x23 power cubes within the ship aligned infront of power drain beam arrays. When you get low in power scroll to the power drain and recharge an additional million per set up, so for 30million in tanks with a core of 4million and six docked generators, the tanks will refill completely within three or four seconds while moving. This is well under the time the enemy large ship\'s main shields to recover.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I have never seen a small ship that needs more then 20,000 energy per tick.

Why are tanks needed for small ships?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Yes, but I\'m one of those people who wants massive storage and recharge for my bigger ships.

The reason why they are only useful in large amounts is because some giant AMC arrays need over 20000 power to fire (you probably cant fit these big guns on small ships and make them work properly) so,you have to have a larger ship (more room for the tanks) to be able to use those guns effectively.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Why would you want to require powertanks on smaller ships? It\'s already hard enough to make decent looking ships with all the weapons, power and thrusters you want.