Buffering the Energy Consumption

Reaction score
    When looking at some before 0.15 ships I noticed that the current power management doesn't thread them well
    Before,Weapons consumed little to no Energy and the 50K Energy pool was plenty to draw off when supplied with an 1million regeneration.(Stealth ships were great)
    However with the crazy expensive energy economy in the current verision the flaws of the system become apparent.
    I noticed that when running out of power the energy regeneration is blocked for an second, which is great...ly unhelpfull when running short on power.
    Even when having an 1million regen, just 50.001 energy consumption can make your ship incapable of mostly anything.This is reinforced by the explosive powerconsumption by shields.(which will be fixed certainly though)

To solve this problem,"buffering" the energy production would suffice.
    So instead of drawing the energy from the storage the actual production is used up first.
    Stealth and Radar blocking already use this mechanic for example.
    Effectively this would equal to heaving an additional storage equal to the amount of power generated each second,which only very small sized,or stealth ships would have an great benefit from this since the powerstorage is rather effective and can be easily installed on apropriate room (a 9x9x9 cube is over a million already)

Reaction score
    I think the problem can be fixed by redesigning your old ships. Also, shields are massively OP at the minute. I think once ships optimised for the new weapons are built and the strength of shields has been suitably reduced, a lot of issues will be resolved.

Reaction score
    Well it is rather an mechanic problem than an:" We can ignore it no one is going to bother anyway" thing.
    I am very well aware of the fact that shields are contributing to the problem and other stuff is going to be fixed too.

The actual problem here is that the mechanic greatly disturbs energy:
    Run out of power=You can't get 1 second of energy
    Not as much power as weapons,shields and engines can require at ANY time=You are f*** pretty much
    Full energy storage=You can't get 1 second of energy,actual generation gets lost since ONLY energy in the energy storage will be used
    +: You need an power storage build to support your power output

This has an impact on every ship,that currently everything is so broken that it is clearly noticeable doesn't mean that it won't exist anymore if the rest is acceptible.
    Ignoring obvious (easy to fix) misstakes is a bad attitude with really bad effects

Reaction score
    I'd like to see an option to disable shields, or disable their regeneration. Ultimately I'd like shields to have a constant drain on power (rather than only draining power when they recharge) but I don't think that's a popular idea.

I've not had the problem you've described on any of the ships that I've built for the update. Old ships, sure, but my new ones are designed with the new power draws in mind.