buff dumb missiles

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    aiming with dumb missiles is a hard job, especially when in battle.
    buffing the dumb missile damage would encourage people to use them.
    now a titan would probably be out maneuvered by ships, but scouts and other small fighters.... they could have a giant advantage of using dumb missiles, and it would make both dumb missile and small ships a better idea to use. a lock on missiles is pretty useless if you are right next to the enemy, nor is a heat seeker of any advantage.
    so if you boost the damage of DUMB missiles, skills are encouraged to be used.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Agreed, dumbfire missiles have near no reason to be used for anything other than PD saturation.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree that dumb-fire missile should get some love. But I think it should be speed that is boosted. The refire rate on DMs already gives a dps comparable to other missiles.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Vanilla config could probably make them 2 times as fast and they would not be approaching being overpowered yet.
    Also let ai lead better with them.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I agree that dumb-fire missile should get some love. But I think it should be speed that is boosted. The refire rate on DMs already gives a dps comparable to other missiles.
    yea the speed would be nice, then you are more likely to hit a target as it won't move as much, say, in a scenario, the travel time of a missile went from 2 to 1 second, the enemy ship would have moved 1 second less.
    also, the chance of being shot by PDT would be less likely, about that, maybe 1 more hp for missiles (against PDT)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Am I wrong to say, though, that for all the space you could have matched the missile modules with beam modules, that if you instead just added more missile modules, that you'd then have a much stronger dumbfire torpedo?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    They should be best for small vs large, slow ships Id say. A bit like torpedos :3

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Am I wrong to say, though, that for all the space you could have matched the missile modules with beam modules, that if you instead just added more missile modules, that you'd then have a much stronger dumbfire torpedo?
    Nope, because the beam modules also add to the dps of the weapon. So in the end two similar sized weapons will have identical dps (damage per second) no matter the combo (excluding damage modifying effects like overdrive).

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yeah, speed is where they should be buffed. That way dumbfires would be a middle thing between cannons and lockons, which is how it works best.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Nope, because the beam modules also add to the dps of the weapon. So in the end two similar sized weapons will have identical dps (damage per second) no matter the combo (excluding damage modifying effects like overdrive).
    Oh okay, I feel you. Yea, I feel like there should be a reason to make a 'pure' weapon system. I could see them being slightly less effective though, I guess.