Broadside weapons?

Reaction score
    Hi I would like to ask if anyone knows if broadside weapons will be possible in the next patch or a planned in the future?

I am currently building a large ship and would like to install them for other players to use. But then I would have to plan the ship that way and leave free space inside the hull.

The thought of my battleship breaking in enemy lines and just when they thought the main weapons cant harm then Phhhaaaammm!!! :D

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
    Well, broadside weapons are already usable for the pilot (in theory). I can't say, however, that I've heard of an upcoming patch that will enable stationary mounted weapons. But I can tell you that the cockpit rotation bug can be expected to be fixed in the near future.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    From what I can tell, you can set up computers facing either direction and have a player enter them to fire in that direction :u

Otherwise, you can use Chain docking and Enabling the AI on the docked ships to simulate it o -o No players needed.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Personally, I'd like to see stationary(ish) banks of autofiring weapons too... Though this can be done already, it's a bit awkward since the shots will hit your ship. Balance has to be achieved somehow, though, I guess. Since I'm busy making a ship right now, I may mess around with that idea though, actually...

Reaction score
    Well I wanted them to be used by player but if we can automate them it would be even better. But that would somehow make turrets very useless, unless the fire arks are extremely limited. But I would like to have the possibility not to use the turrets.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Well I wanted them to be used by player but if we can automate them it would be even better. But that would somehow make turrets very useless, unless the fire arks are extremely limited. But I would like to have the possibility not to use the turrets.
    Limited, yes... 100-120 degree arc outwards (As opposed to turrets' 360), with the same up/down range as turrets.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    aye, Chain docking means the Hardpoint cant rotate at all :u and theres the issue of hitting your own ship (and it sometimes doesnt work if its set up wrong)

Problem is, if you embed them inside the ship, they take up shield space :u (need the couplet and all), and then have to keep the Port clear :/ I dunno, needs a litter tinkering around, But it doesnt turret from Turret bugs * ^* and can be party covered by the main ship for added Protection, so I say they are something worth trying :p

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    The idea of having fixed cannons is appealing, but what about turrets with a fixed firing arc? Like you'd be able to set the orientation and firing arc of the gun, allowing for the much vaunted broadside. Also, changing the orientation of turret docking would be a godsend.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    The idea of having fixed cannons is appealing, but what about turrets with a fixed firing arc? Like you'd be able to set the orientation and firing arc of the gun, allowing for the much vaunted broadside. Also, changing the orientation of turret docking would be a godsend.
    Future additions and possibilities are nice :p but those are not something we can do now. Marcus is looking to add broadsides with the current version of the game, which is a tad annoying to set up - 3-

Would love to see a simpler way to do broadsides someday, cause there is move more room for dakka down the sides ;p

Reactions: Miow22 and Incap
    Reaction score
    That would not be good. Essentially you would have turrets which are less able to engage the enemy but would still rely on their own shields.

What I want are weapons that are part of the ship and share the shields of it.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    That would not be good. Essentially you would have turrets which are less able to engage the enemy but would still rely on their own shields.

What I want are weapons that are part of the ship and share the shields of it.
    How would that be better? It'd be redundant if you make it so that turrets are covered by the ship's shields. But viola, fighters are now useless as an anti-turret measure.

Reaction score
    How do you want to make turrets share the shields of the mothership?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    How do you want to make turrets share the shields of the mothership?
    One way would be that the system reads the main ship's shield values, and links them to the turret(s)'s.
    Another would be so that the docked entities' weapons don't get interfered by the main ship's hull and shoot throught open plexdoors (althought if the thing with turrets not being able to shoot throught open plexdoors is solved, then open plexdoors would aswell let incoming enemy fire to pass throught).

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Docked Turrets sharing the shields? That'd be very OP o -o Docked entities? Maybe, since even if they were weaponize, they would have very limited arcs

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Docked Turrets sharing the shields? That'd be very OP o -o Docked entities? Maybe, since even if they were weaponize, they would have very limited arcs
    Exactly. This way, broadside weapons could be docked and not die instantly... but turrets don't suddenly become OP.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    It is a huge difference if a turret has 20 million or 20 thousand shields.
    I have no idea what you mean :u and you pulled a Quote out of context. He was saying that docked entities (Fix docking) could share shielding, but not Turrets