Breaking the e/sec soft-cap

Reaction score
    I do not know what the previous generator rules were but what if you add a volumetric parameter to generators, so x*y*z instead of x + y + z and you put in a soft cap on groups and not on total size?

So a high powered generator is really big. You need a big ship to fit it inside the hull.

Reactions: jayman38
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Can anyone link me a schematic for a dock-able reactor? or information on the logic setup and what is needs to be worth while? No-one seems to have pictures/video on this thing. All i know is i need a clock. power supply beams, and power.
    I dont even mind if its a 1mil reactor. just need to know how it works.
    Here you go:
    Generator Pack

Althougth some parts of his generators arent to my taste.
    It seems quite in-effcient to have lots of beams to me and laggy instead of just one.
    When I get time Ill upload my current version, it kinda looks like a giant car battery, supplys 1.8mill e/s and has decent protection and easy docking and use.

Any questions feel free to ask!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    'Soft cap' as its usually called is actually referring to a bonus not a penalty. It was meant to give smaller ships an edge against super giant ships by giving them a lot of extra power with just a few blocks while larger ships will only get the normal power/block after they hit the limit of 1mill e/sec. However docked reactors have kind of broken that idea.

Only way I can see to 'fix' docked reactors would be to remove the bonus, which individual server admins can now if they so choose through the block configuration files. Not like anyone would actually do that because it would break every non-mega ship build ever made anywhere besides that server.

Simplest way I've seen to reach the soft cap is 1x1xAnyLength strips of power reactors, alternating power storage in between the strips.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    the reason that this is an issue is because large ships with many "power bricks" can get lots of power re gen. so one way this could be fixed is by making changes "NOT" to the reactors themselves, but to the power transfer beams. if the beams had an inefficiency of say 50% or 75% then using "power bricks" would not be a very viable option. BUT it would still allow for smaller ships to have their edge.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    the reason that this is an issue is because large ships with many "power bricks" can get lots of power re gen. so one way this could be fixed is by making changes "NOT" to the reactors themselves, but to the power transfer beams. if the beams had an inefficiency of say 50% or 75% then using "power bricks" would not be a very viable option. BUT it would still allow for smaller ships to have their edge.
    Docked reactors already have inefficiency, and smaller ships already have their edge.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    if the beams had an inefficiency of say 50% or 75% then using "power bricks" would not be a very viable option.
    Power supply beams have an efficiency of 80%, which is bad enough, given that the destruction of a single block can undock the the whole reactor.

I'd favor a solution with something like a logrithmic or root function that penalizes bigger ships without an artificial cap, but makes docked reactors unnecessary.