Brand new laptop, 100% load before crash, halp?

Reaction score
    I had a question regarding the graphics driver problem. I've tried to do some research on my graphics card, and according to this page ( http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033757.htm ), the graphics card I have, the Intel 4th Generation Core HD Graphics Family et al et cetera et cetera 4400 can support OpenGL 4. From what I've been reading, the minimum for Starmade is OpenGL 2.1... So by all rights, I should be able to run it. I have literally a brand new computer (Toshiba Satellite E55-A just purchased today), running Windows 8.1 64-bit, with the latest version of Java (7.6), sufficient ram (6GB, 1 of which is allocated to Starmade on startup of the launcher); the graphics drivers /are/ up to date, and in all honesty I'm just completely at a loss as to what I need to do to fix this. Any help would be welcomed.

Upon reading one of the other threads here it might be relevant to add that the program does not crash until it reaches 100% loaded. At that point the entire thing closes.

Reaction score
    The problem is that you chose a laptop with Intel graphics chip. You may have problems in other games as well because of this. You should have considered a laptop with an AMD apu or a dedicated graphics card if you plan on using it for games.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    i think i read some where that windows 8.1 didn't work well with starmade

Reaction score
    I'd try some common things:
    • Run launcher as administrator and/or edit permissions in Starmade folder so that the program won't be prevented from changing files.
    • Check memory settings under options on first launcher screen, post your numbers here.
    • Check in control panel --> programs (if windows 8.1 even has control panel) that you only have one java version. (multiple copies can cause trouble)
    Some people have said they could only get starmade to work with 64 bit java, that might be worth a try (there is no automatic installer/updater though)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Here is how someone else solved this problem, but it's practically only updating java and graphic card driver. You have the latest version of java but make sure that You have 64bit version of it.

Also if You have brand new laptop, probably many of the drivers and software on it are outdated, i'm using SlimDrivers to download the latest versions of drivers and i must say it's pretty convenient program. Maybe You don't need this, because windows 8.1 may have an buil-it option to download latest drivers, i don't know since i'm using win 7.

Plus like already mentioned above, there were few cases of Starmade not working properly with win 8.1, probably because there aren't many players using this system, so there wasn't a proper testing on it.

If nothing works please wait for someone more into IT-stuff to help You out.

Reaction score
    I had this problem and it was neither Window 8.1 or my Intel graphics card for me. I recently updated Java and the game was trying to run the 32bit instead of the 64bit. So I uninstalled Java and reinstalled the 64bit. This seems to be the solution to this problem.

Edit: The first time i used the auto installer the second time I downloaded the offline 64bit version. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I'm using windows 8.1. It works okay normally and all the graphics drivers and java is updated, but I have a similar problem. My starmade loads up to 62%, then stops. If you CRT alt dlt and use task manager it crashes, but it you press enter it carries on to 99%. Then it goes on the moving screen. If you press spawn, it crashes.

Haven't been able to sort it out yet, it only started today. If anyone can give me some advice, please feel free to do so, because I so far have found no other similar cases.

Edit:Actually, this is a similar case, but still, the solutions do not solve my problem.

Reaction score
    This may be completely unrelated to the problem, but try running it with only the x64 textures.

I had a problem awhile back where it would crash at 100% when I tried using x256 textures.