Bookmarked Selections - VERY USEFUL + EXAMPLES

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    In many PC-games (countless ones), you can select units and bookmark the selection on 123467890-keys.

The very same could be useful for:
    • Marking targets for your attack-wing
    • Linking a logic bus (a bunch of 8 activation blocks to another 8)
    • Input commands (if we had buttons that react on being selected by a player)
    • Fleet control (ty Lone_Puppy )

Active Selection + [CRTL]+[1] = Bookmark Selection to button 1.
    [1] = Select bookmarked selection from key 1.

It would be even more useful, if we can enter/exit/use the bookmark mode like a shipcore or menu entry.
    • Press ^ to enter bookmark mode until after the the next keyboard input.
    • Press ^^ to enter the bookmark mode until exit
    • Press ^^^ to change a bookmark and return to entered bookmark mode (the same key ^ is not available for bookmarking)
    • Press ^^^^ or ESC to exit the bookmark mode
    Instead of ^, you could also use any F# key or ´`~'·¶… other keys.

EDIT: Some prefer number-keys for ease/habit, but some prefer to access all keys needed with one hand so that the other can be used for mouse control (I am one of these later mentioned peoples).

For example, you could have numpad÷div and numpad×mult for entering general bookmark mode and entering the selected block's bookmark mode (input capture).

Last edited:
    Reactions: Lone_Puppy

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Love it. Want it. Need it.

I'd like if the game was context-aware, so that ship-selection is kept different from block-selection. (E.g. Flight mode selection vs. Build mode selection vs. Fleet mode selection, etc.)

Example:
    It would be nice to have Group 1 in the build mode be a selection of logic blocks, then have Group 1 in flight mode be an auto-selected ship or station. Then when going back to build mode, Group 1 selects those logic blocks again, instead of the group being overwritten by the ship selection, as ship selection would be meaningless in build mode.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'd like if the game was context-aware, so that ship-selection is kept different from block-selection. (E.g. Flight mode selection vs. Build mode selection vs. Fleet mode selection, etc.)
    The ^-key-map is just one of many possible maps above your normal key-map.
    It is a 3D keyboard where the depth is the context toward a key and the other 2 dimensions are left/right and up/down.
    Each key could hold a default action, one action depending on the active context and one third action for a temporary context (just for the next keypress) in the simplest implementation.

I have suggested the above flexibility before, but I think it's too complex for young minds (young in terms of experience with a particular topic).​

Reaction score
    The ^-key-map is just one of many possible maps above your normal key-map.
    It is a 3D keyboard where the depth is the context toward a key and the other 2 dimensions are left/right and up/down.
    Each key could hold a default action, one action depending on the active context and one third action for a temporary context (just for the next keypress) in the simplest implementation.

I have suggested the above flexibility before, but I think it's too complex for young minds (young in terms of experience with a particular topic).​
    I was using fn f3 in minecraft 3 months after I started. I used the cntrl thing in stronghold at the pig's lair, and in every RTS from that point onward. They don't need it, it's just useful. Like time dialation in ksp. But not as important.

Last edited:

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yes please!
    I often wish I could do this for fleet controls.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    In many PC-games (countless ones), you can select units and bookmark the selection on 123467890-keys.

The very same could be useful for:
    • Marking targets for your attack-wing
    • Linking a logic bus (a bunch of 8 activation blocks to another 8)
    • Input commands (if we had buttons that react on being selected by a player)
    • Fleet control (ty Lone_Puppy )

Active Selection + [CRTL]+[1] = Bookmark Selection to button 1.
    [1] = Select bookmarked selection from key 1.

It would be even more useful, if we can enter/exit/use the bookmark mode like a shipcore or menu entry.
    • Press ^ to enter bookmark mode until after the the next keyboard input.
    • Press ^^ to enter the bookmark mode until exit
    • Press ^^^ to change a bookmark and return to entered bookmark mode (the same key ^ is not available for bookmarking)
    • Press ^^^^ or ESC to exit the bookmark mode
    Instead of ^, you could also use any F# key or ´`~'·¶… other keys.

EDIT: Some prefer number-keys for ease/habit, but some prefer to access all keys needed with one hand so that the other can be used for mouse control (I am one of these later mentioned peoples).

For example, you could have numpad÷div and numpad×mult for entering general bookmark mode and entering the selected block's bookmark mode (input capture).
    Good idea.