BobbyAI Repair Option

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I was reading this idea New Armor and Effect Idea., and thought why don't we add an option to the BobbyAI to do this.

That way you could have repair drones you deploy to do hull repairs. And these drones could be installed at stations or carried with the ship.

It would behave much the way harvesting does, but seeks out hull damage.

To be able to replace missing blocks, it would need access to the original blueprint of the ship. So, I guess this could be complicated unless we can have some kind of communication between the drone and the ship it's repairing in order to know what to replace or repair.

I would suggest as an introduction, it could be configured to only repair damaged blocks and not replace missing blocks.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think AI drones hunting down and repairing partially damaged blocks would be a big deal and a nice thing to have.

Reactions: Lukwan
    Reaction score
    I was reading this idea New Armor and Effect Idea., and thought why don't we add an option to the BobbyAI to do this.

That way you could have repair drones you deploy to do hull repairs. And these drones could be installed at stations or carried with the ship.

It would behave much the way harvesting does, but seeks out hull damage.

To be able to replace missing blocks, it would need access to the original blueprint of the ship. So, I guess this could be complicated unless we can have some kind of communication between the drone and the ship it's repairing in order to know what to replace or repair.

I would suggest as an introduction, it could be configured to only repair damaged blocks and not replace missing blocks.
    (I need to just make a docs with this idea so I can copy-paste it every once and a while)

What if they could also place blocks from a connected storage onto a ship, according to the design in the ship core? This is my(from my first post, modified but still original) balance and implantation of it.

AI would be set in a fleet and made to repair a target(for starters they would need to be loaded, you select from a pop up nav screen). They would continue to repair the target unless ordered to stop-even if you change your own selected target, and stay on standby near the target until damage occurs.

When the target gets damaged, the the repair fleet scans the ship from top to bottom and find which blocks were destroyed. In the AI configuration screen, where you set the options(you know, turret/ship, on/off, missiles/astronauts/any/selected target) and can set the "blocks per drone" configuration. You would set it to a value(either an input box or an arrow thing with preset values), say 10, and then for every 10 damaged blocks(rounding) in a chunk one drone would go to it.

When it finds a destroyed section, it flies over to that section and fires Astro tech in the same way they mine. Whenever they hit a destroyed block(they have full punch through and can hit anywhere), they place the correct block there, but at one HP. Once all the damaged blocks in the area are repaired, they go back over the area and repair all the damaged blocks. Then they either go on to other sections, using the original scanning method, or if no open areas are left they check for other damaged blocks and fly around repairing those until none are left. Then they wait once more.

Ouch that's become a wall of text:oops:.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    (I need to just make a docs with this idea so I can copy-paste it every once and a while)

What if they could also place blocks from a connected storage onto a ship, according to the design in the ship core? This is my(from my first post, modified but still original) balance and implantation of it.

AI would be set in a fleet and made to repair a target(for starters they would need to be loaded, you select from a pop up nav screen). They would continue to repair the target unless ordered to stop-even if you change your own selected target, and stay on standby near the target until damage occurs.

When the target gets damaged, the the repair fleet scans the ship from top to bottom and find which blocks were destroyed. In the AI configuration screen, where you set the options(you know, turret/ship, on/off, missiles/astronauts/any/selected target) and can set the "blocks per drone" configuration. You would set it to a value(either an input box or an arrow thing with preset values), say 10, and then for every 10 damaged blocks(rounding) in a chunk one drone would go to it.

When it finds a destroyed section, it flies over to that section and fires Astro tech in the same way they mine. Whenever they hit a destroyed block(they have full punch through and can hit anywhere), they place the correct block there, but at one HP. Once all the damaged blocks in the area are repaired, they go back over the area and repair all the damaged blocks. Then they either go on to other sections, using the original scanning method, or if no open areas are left they check for other damaged blocks and fly around repairing those until none are left. Then they wait once more.

Ouch that's become a wall of text:oops:.
    That would be very cool, especially if you incorporate the storage system. Although, the repair bot could be quite large if you want to be able to replace every kind of block. Unless you can transport/transfer the materials between ships. Then you cold have all the blocks on a mothership and the repair drones transfer what they need with/without storage onboard.

Reaction score
    That would be very cool, especially if you incorporate the storage system. Although, the repair bot could be quite large if you want to be able to replace every kind of block. Unless you can transport/transfer the materials between ships. Then you cold have all the blocks on a mothership and the repair drones transfer what they need with/without storage onboard.
    Or more complex fleet commands so when they run out of storage they restock.

Reactions: Lone_Puppy