Boarding drill

Reaction score
    I admit this is rather unthoughtout, but the idea is a weapon system that has a very short range(like 20 meters at most) but can slowly drill through a ship. Part of the boarding system, this would be a version of a ship mounted torch. More damage than the torch however. And a ~3 by 3 hole.

So. That's the idea, how could it be implemented? We could use pulse as it, rename pulse as drill or something and give it the forementioned stats. It's already a weapon people either never use or use as a short range weapon, so it wouldn't be affected much. People use it as astronaut deterrent but it's so strong it needs to be balanced anyway. It would have different dps and pps than other weapons, less on both accounts, but would still do enough and take enough to require a big enough ship to use it.

Yes, you could use this as a capital ship weapon, but it's short range and possiblely an exponent on the power cost could keep things like that down.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Any ship-mounted weapon that ignores shields should be limited to no-shield servers, and therefore, is a mod-only weapon. The reason: Anyone can make hundreds of small "drill" drones to completely obliterate any target over time. It will encourage homebase turtling even further.

Doesn't ignore shields? Hello Pulse Drone.

Reaction score
    Any ship-mounted weapon that ignores shields should be limited to no-shield servers, and therefore, is a mod-only weapon. The reason: Anyone can make hundreds of small "drill" drones to completely obliterate any target over time. It will encourage homebase turtling even further.

But if they're short range, and you have enough turrets, you'd be fine. Ideally there would be some system in place so you needed sustained fire to do damage. The range is 20 meters. Unless you have thousands of drones or they're lightning fast, they couldn't do much damage to a prepared ship.

Also, that ship was the one I thought about(but could not name) in the OP. It would still work with the new system, too.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Just as a side note, the linked ship there would never work as a pulse drone. In my experience, a drone AI will try to use it's longest range weapon as much as it can, meaning these things will try to stay at range and never get in close enough to actually use the pulse. A player flying one could use it, but I doubt the AI ever would.