Blueprint corruption (and solution, but it still needs to be fixed)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The uploader stopped halfway, so here's this:

For a reason I can not discern, some blueprints of mine were corruppted, and refused to spawn, showing only the square on the hud, which would dissappear after a moment. Curious, I headed into my blueprints folder and poked around some files, and found that the uncorrupted blueprints (Lets use my mining ship, GFS_Sokolov, for example) had a SMD2 file in the DATA folder called ENTITY_SHIP_GFS_Sokolov.0.0.0.smd2. Ok, nothing unusual there, but if we go to a corrupted blueprint (Repair_skiff), but istead of ENTITY_SHIP_Repair_skiff.0.0.0.smd2, Q0-BbGom4xK5MqLctEKe8ylJ.0.0.0.smd2 shows in the DATA folder. Well, there's the problem. Making a duplicate file called Repair_skiff_test, and naming the SMD2 file correctly, remedied the problem. Oddly, though, all my uncorrupted files were the ones I had exported.

Aside from asking you to check the difference between exported and unexported files, I can't help with the fix, but that's that.

Reaction score
    This fixed my problem. I tried to save my ship over ten times, but it just wouldn\'t save properly. Renaming the file works perfectly.

Reaction score
    Does the name you change it to matter? I\'m guessing it does, but im just making sure.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    what directory are you in, I\'m not sure where to begin. Played all night last night building a ship and don\'t feel like starting over at stock ship core.

Edit: nvm figured it out, thank you sir, you are a scholar and a saint.

Reaction score
    For these instructions replace \"Ship_Name\" with your ship\'s name.

1. Try to build your more epic creations in singleplayer or a personal server so you have access to admin commands to prevent corruption. Always load a ship immediately after you save it to be safe.

2. The Directory of the .smd2 file you are looking for depends on where you keep the exe. Go to your exe\'s location then open Starmade\\blueprints\\Ship_Name\\DATA

3. Rename the gibberish smd2 file to ENTITY_SHIP_Ship_Name.0.0.0.smd2

Reaction score
    this seems to be the problem i was having. for some reason, 2/3 of my ship would save, and the other 3rd wouldnt. i checked the file, this corruption thing seems to be the problem. thanks.

Reaction score
    while this does seem to be the problem for me, i have a new problem. everytime i try to change the middle third of my ship (the one that doesnt ever save correctly), then save over, the file immediately gets corrupted again, so renaming doesnt really seem to fix the problem for me. if i cant keep it from getting corrupted in the first place, it gets corrupted EVERY time.

Reaction score
    this renaming solution isnt working. the second i try to make changes to my ship in the area of it that refuses to save properly, it immediatley gets corrupted again, and renaming only returns the ship to an earlier state (returning to an earlier state is the very problem im trying to fix). this would work for already completed blueprints, but not for me, being only halfway done with it. if this is the best current solution, then i have no choice but to dismantle my ship and start over, which is a pain in the as$ considering its size.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I tried this and for some reason i have 2 SMD2 files for one ship, one file is 685KB and the other 110KB. When i do this for each file it spawns around half the ship for each file. Any fix for that? Seems my ship file has split in half somehow D:

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'m not so sure about this one. The Isanath is named Isanath.smd, but most of the data files in my directory are just random conjuctions of numbers. These saves are not corrupted, even though the names are scrambled. In addition, the name of the .smd file is sometimes what the NAME of the ship was when I saved it, and not what I saved it as. I\'ve not tried this on a corrupted file yet, but I\'ll be back to report if it works if the problem comes up again.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    On large ships the information is saved in multiple files. I have three in my dfata folder, and four more attached folders. (ATTACHED-1, ATTACHED-2, ect.)

I\'m not sure how this guys solution relates to those, try renaming the ones in the Data folder to what the name of the ship is, but just leave the ATTACHED as how they are, if there are any.

cheers

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Keep working on it and just wait, this bug is being reported so often that I\'m sure Schema will adress it in the next bug fix.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The exported files are saved as .sment, which containes all the ship information inside one file. So there\'s that.

Reaction score
    my files look like they might be getting corrupted again. im thinking this might have to do with multiple copies of starmade on my computer. i went into starmade and found 3 zipped backups in it, all with a ship entity ive been working on, all seem corrupted with a different random sequence for a name. im thinking it doesnt know where to save the ship into, and having multiple copies corrupts it somehow. (of course, i could just be talking out of my ass). but the reason there are these multiple copies in the first place is because i have to redownload starmade everytime i want to play, because the starmade.exe isnt in my downloads folder. i think i have a starmade.exe somewhere on my computer, just not in downloads or any other logical location. anybody know how to fix this?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Here\'s my thread about this issue, with a more in depth explanation/fix:
    http://star-made.org/content/catalog-issue-baught-ship-i-built-it-wont-spawnfix

To OP; thanks so much for finding this out and sharing it with us. :)

Feel free to copy and paste whatever you like.

Reaction score
    this bad ship spawning is from incorrect scripting that tells the blueprint how to save. it tells it to save as an XX file instead of a YY file (just variables). this problem has affected stuff like chunk loading and stuff and schema needs to rework and maybe even overhaul the scripts that control chunk loading and file/folder saving if we are to see a solution that wont require file diving

Reaction score
    Why is it on my ship, most of the turrets don\'t have data folders? I mean when they do have it, renaming fixes it, but is there a way to pull the ship directly from you current game?