Blueprint/Catalog abuse FIX

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Possibly...

-----------------

New block: Catalog block - this block projects a field (much like the store field) around it, which allows people to use the catalog feature inside said field.

Mechanic change: Catalog block draws materials for the ship to be built either direct from the store (in the case of a catalog block combined with a store, which is going to be the case at each store station), or alternatively from storage bins connected to it.

-----------------------

This means that you cannot transmute credits into unavailable blocks any longer, and additionally, you can no longer use the catalog in empty space (somehow throwing mass amounts of credits into the void magically generates a ship)

This does not address the factory issues which I am hearing about (have not reached the point of making a factory in my single-player game as of yet).

But really, the catalog issues are not a part of the factory issues...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    With some tweaking, this could be used to auto-build AI defense ships/turrets around the catalog block in response to attacks - although obviously this would only last as long as the resources feeding the catalog block did.

Also this would allow stations to spawn defense fleets like they threaten to do...:D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    My bad...is this the same as another suggestion? I didn\'t see that thread...

Speaking of which, where is the search forum function?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Personally, I don\'t see it as a \'abuse\' that you can buy a ship from the catalog even though the blocks / bricks aren\'t available...yet.

Why? because this game is still very much in the test stage at the moment.

But, once the game get\'s more advanced it should be looked at.

On some servers (where people just want to build stuff without restrictions) it should probably stay as it is now.

On servers where people want to faction PvP - yeah, there need to be restrictions.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I can see how servers that allow for massive constructions would be interesting for some persons.

I was attempting to think of a relatively simple (I think) fix for the issue.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yeah, not a bad idea either.

It really does depend on the style of server.

Looking at the game as it is - it\'s too easy for any kind of meaningful PvP / RvR play.

There needs to be some kind of \'death penalty\' and simply being able to go to any shop and immediately buy back your ship no matter what is in stock would really annoy most Role Players and PvPers too in a finished game.

So something like your idea is needed.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The reason this thread comes up so much is because it\'s (one of) the biggest issues in the game right now. It breaks every kind of gameplay outside of tournament PVP. RP, proper PVP, trader, industrialist, miner... all of it rendered meaningless by the BP system.

There\'s a reason so many server admins disable the catalogue.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    With the current state of shops, I could never stand to try and rebuild from just what they have in stock. Unless servers restock the shops regularly to at least carry a thousand of everything, any attempts to build something large would require far too much time. Ships get blown to pieces in combat, it\'s unavoidable. If everyone has to look forward to hours of mining or shop-hunting every time they want to make repairs, PvP in general would be destroyed. No one would bother leaving faction space.

If you want to limit people from constantly rebuying everything, just make credits a little harder to come by. If you don\'t let people wander around with billions of credits, then over-buying never becomes an issue.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well as I said, this kinda ties in with the factory issues - my understanding (I have yet to set up a factory system myself) is that currently, you can basically craft anything you need out of dirt (or so I saw someone comment).

If so, it\'s just a matter or setting up a factory to churn out parts, and connecting a catalog block to the factories or a bin with their yield in...or something...

Still, I agree that large ships would be a major undertaking, but then that only makes sense. In minecraft, if you want to build a large castle or something, you have to go mine/gather all the stuff you need, process it in various ways, etc, etc.

You can\'t just rapidly build a large construction, without some prep work.

Now, I know this is not minecraft, but it similar in many ways...

Even though this game has that excellent symmetry system which allows for much more rapid construction...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The admins could set the stores to a high cap and consant resupply, to allow unlimited blueprint use.(albeit inside the catalog area).

Hell, you could even change the area around the catalog block that could be constructed in...make it the whole server if you wanted.