Bug Blocks unload when I am near?

Reaction score
    Hello all, I am encountering the oddest bug at the moment. It seems that, on multiplayer and singleplayer, all blocks are invisible until I move a good distance away from them, which makes the game unplayable.

I am running Ubuntu, all my drivers are up to date (that I know of), and I'm using an AMD Radeon integrated GPU with an Intel CPU. Any ideas?

OfficialCoding

Professional Quickfire Hater
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Hello all, I am encountering the oddest bug at the moment. It seems that, on multiplayer and singleplayer, all blocks are invisible until I move a good distance away from them, which makes the game unplayable.

I am running Ubuntu, all my drivers are up to date (that I know of), and I'm using an AMD Radeon integrated GPU with an Intel CPU. Any ideas?
    Try reinstalling the game or restarting your computer. Try restarting your computer first.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    I do assume you also did ask about that on a Discord Chat?

anyways ... please provide a logfile (logstarmade.0.log from a new game start with a look at those non visible blocks).
    found in the logs folder of the starmade install. just drag and drop it into an answer here

Reaction score
    Same issue here, and it's not that they are unloading, just invisible only when very close. It kind of looks like when the nearest LOD is swapped to then they just become invisible, but beyond that then everything is visible just fine. It makes building quite difficult. I've not played in a few months (a few months before the reactor update) but it worked fine then and I've done no system changes since then... Log is not showing anything odd. Hardware is an AMD Radeon 5870, 16gigs ram, 6core AMD Phenom 2, etc.... etc...

Reaction score
    Ah hah! After going through each setting painfully one-by-one I found what fixes it!

Turn on `Simple Lighting Quality (Faster)` and everything renders fine!

_/me is wondering if there is a shader with a mis-set argument as this is a common issue with that..._

Reaction score
    • Tester
    Good to know.

not a problem on Win7 with AMD however :/

will place that in a report then

Reaction score
    Found another though likely related issue. Pilots are invisible, both me and others. Unable to find anything that enables them now...

EDIT: I am using accelerated MESA, which is the reference OGL renderer. I.E. if it's not rendering right in it then it is likely invalid OGL usage (usually some extra shader argument or something that is invalid that most drivers would ignore the error of) as MESA should always be correct, if not necessarily fast, but always correct. I'd bet there's something up with one or a couple shaders that is simple like that, that's the usual case anyway.