Block Types

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    As usual, I was pontificating in the shower (admit it, we all know all good ideas come from the shower), and thought of some additional block types that would be amazing (in my mind). As a warning, part of what I do for a living is game design, which means I come up with crazy ideas that players like and devs hate... so while I have no clue how difficult it is to implement all of these, here they are:

Weapon Types

Energy Beam - increased damage over time, exponential increase in power drain over time. This means it would look something like this: D*S*WS = S*P^2 (where D = base damage, S = seconds, WS = weapon size modifiers, and P = power, as in power drain). Obviously the formula is crap, but it's just a proof of concept.

Mass Drivers/Rail Guns/shooty stuff - large damage output, requires X resource to fire, slow velocity. Obviously this would be idea if there was some way to link containers to the ship core (hint, hint) which would then enable the ship to draw from a place other than the player inventory for required resources.

Navigation Stuff

Starmap/navigation module - I know a full fledged navigational system is in the works, I thought it might be interesting if that complete map was linked to a module on a ship, especially if that module requires a certain size, say 10x10 minimum. This basically creates a real reason to have carrier ships, and/or long/short range ships.

Jump Drive - based on the (ship mass/module mass)*distance*(some random modifier) = X Power Drain, automatically transports the ship to a given sector, this could also be linked to the above module making it required. Not only does this allow for some great faction warefare stuff, but once again gives a reason for large and small ships. You cuold also require a "beacon" at the target location, which again adds a layer of depth.

Targetting

Targetting module - (enemy ship size/player ship size) * module size, if > 1 enemy ship is targettable, or targets faster. By targetting, I'm refering to locking on. I'm actually not sure I even like this idea, but it once again creates a need for smaller ships vs larger ships.

Ship Scanner - scanner is set to a particular module (AM cannons, power bank, shields, etc). When used on an enemy ship, it highlights all of those modules (similar to the current module selection when in build mode, only with a transparency so you can see it through the ship hull). Obviously you could combine this with a counter measure of some kind.

Mass Differential - This is probably already in the works, but throwing it out there anyways. IT would be great if different hull types (hardened vs normal) had different mass's. Creating another layer to player choice when building a ship. I think 10-30% greater mass would work great as it still allows the hardened hull plating to be useful but at a cost, especially for larger ships.

Docking

Customizable Docking - this is not as much a block type, but a feature request. This would allow users to actually customize the exact shape of the docking zone, enabling players to fit things very precisely into a docking zone.

Feedback is welcome, I had a half-dozen more, but forgot them, so I'll keep adding to this if there's any interest in these... otherwise I'll just retreat quietly into the corner.