Block suggestions (No, I don't mean adding more blocks)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    So after the slab update and suggesting this in one thread, I came up with some ideas about block placement.

1. You can only craft uncolored hull blocks
    Hold on, hold on, before picking up your pitchforks saying that this will remove the liveliness of the game, hear me out. I'm thinking that instead of crafting the colored blocks before hand, you only paint the blocks when placing them.
    Say, you have 1 hull block. You realize that you need it to be color blue. Instead of walking your lazy ass to the factory and making a blue hull block, just bring up a menu, choose the color you want for the blocks you will place, and consume both the hull block and the blue paint. What if you want to remove it? You pick up blue hull instead of the uncolored hull and blue paint. Realized that you're a filthy peasant and you hate blue? That's the only time you'll need to go to a factory and craft the blue hull with a new item: paint thinner.

2. Slabs only taking up a fraction of a block.
    Wouldn't it make much more sense for a slab to take a part of a block to place instead of an entire? Here's me idea:
    Instead of taking 1 whole block, it'll only take a fraction. Say (here we go again) you have 3 whole hull blocks. Instead of being only able to place 3 half slabs, you can place up to 12 quarter slabs, 6 half slabs, or 4 3/4 slabs!
    When you place a half slab (with you having 3 blocks), it'll display 2.5 instead of 2.

That's what I can think of, so far.

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    I don't necessarily like your approach to the paints on hull. But I do think that there could potentially be a better system for colored hulls then the current one...

I read somewhere that if the slabs don't take up one whole block area and only fill up the amount of a block area that they are that they will take up much more "space" or something? "Space" as in a heavier load on the game's performance. also that would allow for slabs stacked into one block area to allow for more damage reduction then what they are intended for, armor, (if they are left with the same hp and damage reduction as a whole block). I think it would be cool to stack slabs onto each other. But I'm just sayin'....

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    There seems to be a misunderstand here.
    What I mean "fraction of a block" as in inventory. You have one block of hull. You place 1 half slab. The inventory should say you have 0.5 hull instead of straight 0.
    This will allow me to place 2 half slabs just from 1 block.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    There seems to be a misunderstand here.
    What I mean "fraction of a block" as in inventory. You have one block of hull. You place 1 half slab. The inventory should say you have 0.5 hull instead of straight 0.
    This will allow me to place 2 half slabs just from 1 block.
    Ah i see. Because slabs currently occupy the same space as a full block, they have the same structural stats as a full block.
    Your suggestion would allow 1 full hull block to cover more space, for less cost, at the same stats by using the slab form.

Unless structural stats changed per slab type, this would be imbalanced.

Reactions: nightrune

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Originally coloured hull was kept instead of a Space-Engineers mechanism because somebody said it encourages trading between players.
    MAYBE there are enough blocks now that this is not an issue anymore.

To fix the HP-imbalance, blocks can have (static)armour, (static)damage-transparency and a lower (dynamic)hp.
    • -- For all non-programmers: static only takes space once per block-type (1byte all the time), dynamic once per used block(1 byte per block).
    • damage-transparency would allow a certain amount of damage to pass through to the next block.
      • mainly deco, less armour.

But it is up to schema, council and devs whether this makes it in.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I think it would encourage trading. I know its influenced our builds early game based on what materials we got from pirates.