Bioengineering

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    So, in another thread I proposed a new set of resources, and one of the things I suggested that they could be used for is for bioengineering.

So now I have to suggest how to do bioengineering. Basically: Analysis, Synthesis, Growing, and Mutating

First, you analyse a creature, and get an analysis.
    You would get Part information, Structure information, Behavior information, Trait information, and Ability information.
    • Part information lets you make another creature that looks like the current one, at the texture/individual part level.
    • Structure information lets you make another creature with the same overall shape and size as the current one.
    • Behavior information lets you make a creature with the same behavioral traits, such as aggressiveness, clingyness, jitterness (how often it moves around), bravery, etc. Each one only specifies one value only.
    • Trait information describes what the creature can do in the game. Can it cling to walls, lay eggs, explode when it dies, grapple to ships, combine with other similar creatures to make a larger one, etc? Does it have an inventory, and if so, how big? Can you give it a weapon? Can you give it armor? Does it require air?
    • Ability information is basically what built-in weapon it has. So you may get an ability analysis of "Cannon-laser30%. Getting an effect here would be rare.

The analysis comes in the form of metaitems, that tell you how much of X resources you need to use when you create a creature with that trait. Part information requires resources per part used so if you have 5 legs, you need 5x the resources listed on the leg analysis. Structure and behavior costs only need to paid once per creature. Ability costs are paid once for each part you put the ability on. So a space octopus that can shoot lasers from each tentacle requires 8x the resources listed on the metaitem. Trait costs are paid per part of the creature.

Second, you synthesize the analysis to make a zygote/blueprint/pattern/genome whatever. Grab a structure, copy it into the zygote, then grab behavioral values that you like. If you don't set a behavioral value, then that value will wind up random each time you use the zygote. Then add traits and parts and put an ability onto whichever parts you want. Now that the zygote is finished, you can copy it as many times as you want, no problem.

Now, you can grow your zygote, once you've copied it. Put it in a growth tank with all the resources required and wait. Once it's done, it'll pop out and start doing whatever it was made to do. Of course, you need to have a properly large growth tank.

Of course, you may not have the exact value you want for something, like say you want a slightly larger laser bear to maul your enemies. You can use a mutagen. You make one of these, then use it on a creature, hopefully one that you have contained. Mutagens come in a few strengths, ranging from slight to "oh wow my DNA just exploded." and for each different class as well (Part, Structure, Ability, Trait, Behavior)
    These will alter the values for whatever class you used.
    Note: Structure mutagens may cause uncontrolled growth. Please contain creature in extra-large tanks when using structure mutagens.

Needed: Analysis block, Analysis metaitem system, block for combining analyses, growth tank controller, growth tank, mutagens, mutagen factory.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Science stuff and research is one part of the game that I think has been overlooked and is lacking. There has been no major information regarding anything like it. Bio engineering is definitely sci-fi and worth a place in this universe.

Reactions: Mariux
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I was thinking less spore and more a way to design a creature to do what you want, then clone an army of them to destroy your enemies while shouting "THEY SAID I WAS MAD!!! I'LL SHOW THEM!!! I'LL SHOW THEM ALL!!!!"

Reactions: Mariux