Bigger Sectors.

Would you want bigger sectors?

• I agree

Votes: 46 95.8%
    • I disagree

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    I've seen in the occasional comment and its came up in chat quite a lot, but I think there are quite a few people who want bigger sectors. I didn't see a subject on this so I decided to post one. now I have some reasons, but not many as I'm having a bit of a drowsy day.

Reasons for this could be:
    Giant areas being used for battles, dramas, ships, and stations.
    Another could be bigger planets, to be to a bit of a more realistic scale instead of a base being noticed from far away.

now, I imagine there will be many technical reasons against, and on the contrary there are many reasons for it, so let me know what you think.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    The only technical reasons I could see, would be, that less sectors can be reached(due to limited storage capacity), and that loading sectors could take longer. Also the conversion from old size to new size can take a little.

Reaction score
    This is one of the many reasons why I think doing battles, surely with the slightly bigger ships, in SM is a total waist of time. Any ship to take any decent amount of detailing will be 100-300 m in at least 1 direction big. For a more combat oriented ship you're looking at 80-300 at least. With a sector being 2000m^3 big your ship is already 1/20 at least of a sector. Add 100 or so speed on most server and you're doing nothing more but jumping sector after sector in a short amount of time.

Now ppl don't sit still while fighting, they move like crazy, ofter constant at the max speed of the server, surely when ppl start noticing they are losing the fight. So when you lose or win you will end up sectors away from where you started the fight.

Now I believe gigantism shouldn't be promoted, surely not in overdrive. But everything as it is now feels so ... small, compaired to the ships.

And yes I can imagen it's the way it is because of some technical reason.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    But everything as it is now feels so ... small, compaired to the ships.
    That may be both the small sectors and the fact that big ships on most servers are the most common ships. I'd suspect that both could be changed - sectors could be somewhat bigger and regular ships somewhat smaller (probably economy and design will have to be reworked here so players won't immediately achieve great wealth and cargo of materials build dreadnoughts).

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Schema has said he wants sector sizes bigger, and server side configurable, it is just a matter of getting the core optimised enough to handle them.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    The sad thing is my base on Infinite havoc was right on the corner of a sector unknown to me so only a small part of my planned base is actually fully protected from sector protection. Though I did get three new random spawn stations within 1000m to do with as I please :)

Reaction score
    yeah I support this idea also. There is ships being created that can easily cover the majority of a sector, size should be scaled up atleast 2x >.>

Reactions: Ithirahad

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Yes to increasing sector size like you can with planets.

Also, the thruster changes will probably help a bit with large ships going max speed, with needed to choose how to allocate thrust in different directions.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I wouldn't even mind 5km sectors. That would make it a little easier for massive ships to move around.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I want bigger sectors, but could negative consequences can come of them?

One thing that comes to mind is the way stations are stored as exported sectors. Until we get a revamp for how stations are stored as blueprints (and that might not solve this), importing sectors of differing sizes might not work I'd think. We are playing an alpha of course, so some things are bound to get broken, but from what I've seen Star Made progressively works around problems instead of discarding things and screwing with people's work.

Not that I have a problem with that, we all know the game is still experimenting with new methods.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I want bigger sectors, but could negative consequences can come of them?

One thing that comes to mind is the way stations are stored as exported sectors. Until we get a revamp for how stations are stored as blueprints (and that might not solve this), importing sectors of differing sizes might not work I'd think. We are playing an alpha of course, so some things are bound to get broken, but from what I've seen Star Made progressively works around problems instead of discarding things and screwing with people's work.

Not that I have a problem with that, we all know the game is still experimenting with new methods.
    You can also use commands to save a station entity and spawn it in with those commands. I've never done it myself, but I know there's a /save-entity or something along those lines and a /load-entity <entityname> or something like that.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Another could be bigger planets, to be to a bit of a more realistic scale instead of a base being noticed from far away.
    Can everyone just SHUT UP :mad: about bigger planets. They are not small, and if you really want big ones in the new update you will be able to tweak the config so each side of the twelve sided dodecahedron planets are as big as a planet now. Gosh... I can't even fully load a regular planet.

Reactions: karkinosz
    Reaction score
    Can everyone just SHUT UP :mad: about bigger planets. They are not small, and if you really want big ones in the new update you will be able to tweak the config so each side of the twelve sided dodecahedron planets are as big as a planet now. Gosh... I can't even fully load a regular planet.
    I thought it was just my crappy PC but someone else has that problem too.

(Almost clicked 'insane' rating on this comment, those buttons are too close to like/reply.)

Reactions: karkinosz
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I thought it was just my crappy PC but someone else has that problem too.

(Almost clicked 'insane' rating on this comment, those buttons are too close to like/reply.)
    yeah, I mean the macbook air i'm using right now is kinda crap with intel graphics, and it loads enough for how good it is...BUT my (windows corrupted) desktop with a 500 dollar graphics card and 6 core processor with 8gb of ram can't even load a planet at a steady 60 :(

Reaction score
    yeah, I mean the macbook air i'm using right now is kinda crap with intel graphics, and it loads enough for how good it is...BUT my (windows corrupted) desktop with a 500 dollar graphics card and 6 core processor with 8gb of ram can't even load a planet at a steady 60 :(
    Mac laptops are difficult with games, they are too thin and can overheat quick when gaming...Also try £650 GPU and Intel I5 and STILL lagging. Apparently though the next fix should bring us some physics fixes which should reduce the strain.

Reaction score
    On subject though, it would be nice to have bigger sectors.
    Bigger planets was only just a reason. Anyway, the point about the planets was how in realistic terms its not that big. Id always imagine if someone built a city it would take up an entire face and the planet look like some kind of strange squid thing. I understand it kills computers but suggestions are for the future. The better starmade. The one that could sustain this type of planet.

Reaction score
    Agreed totally on larger sectors.
    I feel like sectors should be something that makes players feel like they've entered a whole new section of space, instead of being small cubes where they simply flick by while travelling.
    It doesn't just need to happen to sectors too - everything from planets to shops could do with extra size. While this has the potential to add more lag to the game, the current sizes feel like a planet is the equivalent to me walking around the park (I know they're getting bigger, planets are not my main point here), and a shop... doesn't really feel like a shop at all.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Agreed totally on larger sectors.
    I feel like sectors should be something that makes players feel like they've entered a whole new section of space, instead of being small cubes where they simply flick by while travelling.
    It doesn't just need to happen to sectors too - everything from planets to shops could do with extra size. While this has the potential to add more lag to the game, the current sizes feel like a planet is the equivalent to me walking around the park (I know they're getting bigger, planets are not my main point here), and a shop... doesn't really feel like a shop at all.
    that is why we have starsystems

Reaction score
    How is that why we have star systems?
    please, be a bit more informative