Read by Schine Big Book of Aliens, Creatures, and Unidentified Entities

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Hmm so would you automatically get every body part on the server in this DNA table? Or would you have to kill a creature and it drops DNA that you can collect to put in it?
    I was thinking that the creatures would work similar to how I expect the shipyards will work. You have a design-table/DNA-table where you can design without any limits what-so-ever. During the design phase, you have access to your own saved blue-prints and any the server has made public and an unlimited supply of all blocks/components/parts. Once you finish your design you get a blueprint. The blueprint is taken to a different block/station/ship-yard/creature-lab where you construct the ship/creature by feeding in all the required components.

The specifics of how shipyards will work once they are implemented have not been officially shared by the Devs. I would expect that it could be rigged to designing/spawning creatures with only a few changes (so long as creatures are voxel based, like ships).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Dont forget the ability to multiply.

Eggs.

Aliens that change into other forms.

Give them a lifespan not just a spawn point.

Infectious creatures.

The ability to create Alien, the movie.

Tribbles, not dangerous but fill up your storage slots.

:eek:

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Tribbles, what breed like only tribbles could and then just sort of hang out on the ship, or sneak onto another one when docked. In the dozens. Clean your rooms, kids!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Would be amusing to suddenly find a space groundhog living in asteroids that get ejected when you mine the blocks they're in.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Would be amusing to suddenly find a space groundhog living in asteroids that get ejected when you mine the blocks they're in.
    or close to their home, they shouldn't like their home exposed.

EMC007

The guy who's always in way over his head
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Really, all I want are giant space worms that try to eat your ship that live in asteroids.

Though, in order to incorporate that, We Need A Bigger Asteroid!

Hope at least someone gets the reference(s).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Really, all I want are giant space worms that try to eat your ship that live in asteroids.

Though, in order to incorporate that, We Need A Bigger Asteroid!

Hope at least someone gets the reference(s).
    i think there should be bugs, like bees or something. they cant look like bees just weird bugs. they are aliens after all
    [DOUBLEPOST=1436058854,1436058763][/DOUBLEPOST]
    We need alien nests when you break them, the aliens that live there would attack. planets, go close to them and hostile aliens will attack. some may let you come in.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If we are going to implement something like DNA, then we can mess with, and control how creatures spawn on worlds.

Like some DNA will allow them to live on planets that are close to the sun, on planets that are far away from the sun, etc etc.

DNA could also be a trade able resource, for new factions, components for WMDs, that remove life from planets for ease of mining, or the building block for a army of clone slaves.

I also think that this could be used for a quest system. One of the key problems with minecraft, is you no longer need to explore unless you need a buttload of resources.

But imagine a quest: Why is Yhole on all these planets? and later on, we discover that yhole was made by an ancient race that has the secret plans for the ultra reactor blocks. So you have to travel from planet to planet, looking for genetic markers to find the home world of this ancient race.

This is just one example of the type of sci fi stories that can be tossed in with such a mechanic.

See, starmade can be more then just minecraft in space, it can be a huge story experience.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    If we are going to implement something like DNA, then we can mess with, and control how creatures spawn on worlds.

Like some DNA will allow them to live on planets that are close to the sun, on planets that are far away from the sun, etc etc.

DNA could also be a trade able resource, for new factions, components for WMDs, that remove life from planets for ease of mining, or the building block for a army of clone slaves.

I also think that this could be used for a quest system. One of the key problems with minecraft, is you no longer need to explore unless you need a buttload of resources.

But imagine a quest: Why is Yhole on all these planets? and later on, we discover that yhole was made by an ancient race that has the secret plans for the ultra reactor blocks. So you have to travel from planet to planet, looking for genetic markers to find the home world of this ancient race.

This is just one example of the type of sci fi stories that can be tossed in with such a mechanic.

See, starmade can be more then just minecraft in space, it can be a huge story experience.
    technology timline

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I want to be able to turn creatures into NPCs. My ships will be crewed exclusively by uplifted tribbles!
    Also potentially the ability to play as something besides a human (or just an enhanced human)

I want all of the creatures of Starmade to be interesting and unique, each with their own flavours of awesome. Each alien creature would have body parts and special features like arms, legs, heads and etc. They would also have traits that are not externally visible such as survivable habitats and special abillities(Like acid spit for instance). How the game would keep track of this is by making a string of characters similar to "DNA". Each of the 8 species slots would have this "DNA" code in them.

The code might look something like this: 0-1-9-1-1-3-31-46-2-45-12. The first number would be for which area it survives in- space, planets, or both. The second number, "1" determines if the creature walks upright or not. If it walks upright, the body will always be facing upright, if not, it will be perpendicular. The third number, "0", determines if the creature is intelligent or not(if it can natively open doors etc). This creature has a 0, so it would be a regular mammal without any real intelligent capacity. 1 might be the other end of the spectrum, like being an intelligent alien. Anyway, you get the picture, so here' a recap for how aliens would generate.
    Very nice idea.
    I'm not sure the bit about "walking upright" is exactly how it would work, but hey, the general idea.
    More things in the genetics:
    HP (or rather, HP scaling - how much HP does it have when it's the size of a human?)
    Typical size
    Jump height.
    Grapple strength: How much push/pull/stop damage you need to apply to shove something off your ships.
    Wall climbing (yes/no)
    Native attacks/abilities
    What equipment you can give it
    Breeding patterns - how often, how, and how many
    Intelligence tags: Can be ordered around, can give warnings, can operate computers, can operate ships.

Possibly more stuff.
    Then, there'd be a resource cost for making these, and for breeding them, depending on what the stats are. If you want a super-solider, be prepared to pay for it. If you want weak specialized creatures, you'll save.

Reactions: MeepMoop
    Reaction score
    Something i would find intriguing is evolution of creatures. the DNA system would be set up and after maybe, say, 500 hours of gameplay a species would evolve, adding depth and incentivizing play time indirectly.

PLIX

Thats XCOM baby!
    Reaction score
    what you are suggesting is very complicated i think there should be several of those and a 1 in 5 chance of an intelligent race being on a station or ship
    [DOUBLEPOST=1464670811,1464669745][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I would like to take one of them hostage and offer a ransom to their home world and get money that way. a mini game of bluffing? they can come after you and kill you. also with the new boarding stuff added, it would be fun if npcs boarded your ship and you and your crew needs to fight them
    [DOUBLEPOST=1435631164,1435631054][/DOUBLEPOST]well, what I personally want is interaction with high intelligence creatures
    [DOUBLEPOST=1435631361][/DOUBLEPOST]also it would be cool to have rare monsters. they could be missions broadcasted across the server then players can be like "hmm i'm going to fight this big whatever it is and get the money." then on the road they might encounter over people trying to do the same thing, they can split the loot or fight for it. then when they actually arrive at the "area of detection" they can stop and be like "hmm, maybe someone already killed it" then a big explosion or thunderstorm in space happens and a big giant thing shakes everything with sounds and debreee and the player get frightend and be like "oh my god what the hell is that!!!" trying to run or deciding to fight, it would make an epic adventure.
    how about offering money but sitting in a cloaked ship waiting to kill the bounty hunters