Better structures on planets

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    So we all know we have these cities and pyramids, but more variety would be nice. But first:

Cities must not spawn per segment!!!!

I really don't like that. Cities aren't rare loot anymore, they're a hinderance when you wanr to build a planet base. Only once this gets fixed, should the following be implemented:
    • There should be shops that spawn on planets. This wouldn't add an extra shop spawning probability, shops should just spawn on planets by default, and every shop on a planet would mean one less shop floating in the universe (literally).
    • There should be pirate bases that spawn on planets, and once again, every pirate station on a planet would literally mean one less floating in the universe.
    • More default rare objects on other planet types.
    • The current cities (not the pyramids, those actually are quite nice) should be improved.
    • Other objects that randomly spawn on planets.
    • Objects that spawn outside of planets in the same sector, essentially orbiting them.
    As always I'm open to any tips, criticism and/or suggestions.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    4 Agrees, but on page2 :p That is bunny ... ups, I meant funny ;)

I think block-segments hidden beneath other segments should also not spawn.
    Also block-segments on the planet-segment you are currently (and adjacent) block-segments should have preference over others.​

Once I visited a 2k-diameter planet with 1/5*1/5 surface (per segment) covered by blocks.
    It loaded invisible and far away segments prior to segments beneath my ship.​

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    The universe generation is going to be changed soon (how is another matter). But the issue with planets is known (and yet still here, what?) so one may assume that they are working on it.

But why do you have a planet with a radius of 2000? Everyone knows that problems are to be expected then.
    But big planets are the least of ones problems. Ever visited a planet with a radius of 50? Not a pretty sight at all.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yet another community contest (yacc) idea:

new planet-based buildings. It'll be just like the station contest, except that because it is designed to make cities better, each submitted building should fit in a (x,x,x) vertical cuboid (e.g. 19x143x19) and be wider at the base than at the top and will be judged by apparent structural stability (no antigravity platforms, no building foundations smaller than 5x5 or 25 blocks total on the bottom. All submitted buildings need to lack any kind of glass or light. Alternatively, you can build a subterranean building that should fit in a (x,x,x) cube (e.g. 19x19x19) and fill the entire dimensions at the top, to allow a regular building to fit on top.

Disclaimer: I do not go to planets, and I haven't seen the cities, but I've seen a complaint about them before. Do they just need better buildings, and maybe some surprises? I think the community could build some really neat, futuristic cities, even if they must look abandoned and/or lack logic.

Other ideas for such a contest:
    Multiple city types: Ancient, abandoned, trade, modern, well-lit, futuristic, damaged, destroyed, cratered, space port, wild/jungle, purple alien
    Multiple building types by city type and color schemes: empty, skyscraper, ruined, active and powered, warehouse, shop, factory, house
    Multiple ship buildings: ship factory, ship warehouse, ship sale port, ship launch port, ship landing port, ship trade port, ship trap (!)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Haha, that was actually going to be the goal of this suggestion, but I thought it would be a bit to imposing, bit the main reason was that everything currently spawns per segment, so huge cities wouldn't be rare. But once it gets fixed I would love to see another contest.

They would also have to make sure that buildings that spawn in other buildings and that building don't get cut in half.

About the cities. They quite literally are just walls with a floor and an occasional floor inbetween and, wven rarer, a roof (hardly any building has a roof). The buildings float, have some random lights and a lot of ice crystals (which is the only good thing about them).
    The pyramids actually aren't terrible, and they even look like they belong. They are also a lot rarer than cities.
    And they really shouldn't spawn per segment.

And I pretty much agree with all your other ideas for structure types.

Reaction score
    Yet another community contest (yacc) idea:

new planet-based buildings. It'll be just like the station contest, except that because it is designed to make cities better, each submitted building should fit in a (x,x,x) vertical cuboid (e.g. 19x143x19) and be wider at the base than at the top and will be judged by apparent structural stability (no antigravity platforms, no building foundations smaller than 5x5 or 25 blocks total on the bottom. All submitted buildings need to lack any kind of glass or light. Alternatively, you can build a subterranean building that should fit in a (x,x,x) cube (e.g. 19x19x19) and fill the entire dimensions at the top, to allow a regular building to fit on top.

Disclaimer: I do not go to planets, and I haven't seen the cities, but I've seen a complaint about them before. Do they just need better buildings, and maybe some surprises? I think the community could build some really neat, futuristic cities, even if they must look abandoned and/or lack logic.

Other ideas for such a contest:
    Multiple city types: Ancient, abandoned, trade, modern, well-lit, futuristic, damaged, destroyed, cratered, space port, wild/jungle, purple alien
    Multiple building types by city type and color schemes: empty, skyscraper, ruined, active and powered, warehouse, shop, factory, house
    Multiple ship buildings: ship factory, ship warehouse, ship sale port, ship launch port, ship landing port, ship trade port, ship trap (!)
    This. I'd also like to see places take use of logic systems, new lighting and so forth.

I'm thinking this game in general should have most of its content created by the users anyway. Like a true sandbox, the devs have a 'pit' and fill it with 'sand', the players build their 'castles' in it. In English, devs lay out the code, we make the structures and ships. Frees up devtime.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Aww just changed size of planet in config to 2000 is looks stunning. When You're on orbit then You feel like in sci-fi movie :D
    But it takes ages to load full planet....

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Change the max segments drawn to 2000 - 2500 and change max chunks in queue (something with max chunks, don't know about the queue bit) to as high as you can. It will lag, but your planet will load faster.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well it's laggy as hell. Schema could implement algorithm that will load nearest chunks first :P Like minecraft does.

Reaction score
    Well it's laggy as hell. Schema could implement algorithm that will load nearest chunks first :p Like minecraft does.
    they dont have that yet ? because when i go on planets its pretty laggy, that might fix a bit of the lagg, i find it weird how i can load 30k mass ships and play with them with not a lot of trouble but as soon as i get on a planet, frame rates drop like crazy. t with all max settings and im not even lagging a bit, only if im really trying to get the game to lagg

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    We have that. I guess it does not work because planet segments are located near the core or it is difficult to compare the distance of chunks on different objects to each other.