Better Shops

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Currently we have planets, stations and shops floating all over the place in starmade universes. Shops look very plain and non-functional. Stations are basically abandoned salvage and planets are uninhabited rocks. If would be nice if shops were hybrid with planets and stations. Resulting in planetary or station shops with working docks and some minor defense turrets owned by the trading guild.

Im suggesting we take the existing station structures to start with and add shield blocks with defense turrets and some docks in the obvious places as the shop/station. For planets take the same station structure but add a base column at the center so its elevated a little above the planets surface making a shop/planet/station combination.

This way the trading guild can look like real player structures the same way the pirate bases do.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Agreed. Shops should also be 9 by 9 or 7 by 7 rather than 6 by 6, and should have wedges.

Reaction score
    Definetly, shops could use an overhaul. They're very plain. Not only that, but sometimes there's a cluster of shops that will spawn in 1 area (like 12-16) and it just looks like a cluster of towers floating around everywhere in space.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Shops would be vastly improved on the RP aspect if they included a warehouse and a trading guild docking port.
    Perhaps ship docks of varying sizes, couple of capship docks at the top and bottom, etc.
    They also need turrets.

Someone design a shop to replace the vanilla ones, and maybe a megashop to replace the NPC shops? :eek:

Reaction score
    Shops would be vastly improved on the RP aspect if they included a warehouse and a trading guild docking port.
    Perhaps ship docks of varying sizes, couple of capship docks at the top and bottom, etc.
    They also need turrets.

Someone design a shop to replace the vanilla ones, and maybe a megashop to replace the NPC shops? :eek:
    I very much like the idea that you got there. Perhaps they could use our Station Blueprints (when that's implemented) as well, or perhaps it's own set of shop blueprints that we could create and generate in our world.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I very much like the idea that you got there. Perhaps they could use our Station Blueprints (when that's implemented) as well, or perhaps it's own set of shop blueprints that we could create and generate in our world.
    we should see the trading guild moving with convoys with mutch of supplies and some guarding ships guarding the big trading guild ship

Reaction score
    Yea having a massive Trader Guild station atleast one in every solar system would really add the immersion that the universe isn't just a lawless deathmath and warzone but a larger place with AI controlled commerce stations and the already-existing ability to build your own commerce stations :)

Reactions: DarthHonky
    Reaction score
    Much win here. There should also be an easier way to limit shop spawning, like 1 shop in a 5-sector cube or something like, instead of going into the settings config file and entering a number and hoping for the best. I really want to be able to design my own shops and have multiple designs floating around.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Given a solar system is current a 16 cubed sector area, maybe limit based on number of shops per solar system. That is really great idea. I both dislike when its set really high and you can get two in the same sector or when its really low and maybe none for three star systems.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    To start off with, there should be more than one standard design for shops. But I do think shops will be changed, just maybe not immediately. :) Have faith. :P

When it comes to Station Shops and Planet Shops, I think Shops should be a form of station anyway. Again, more varied designs though. More Stations would be nice too.

Planet shops I'm not fussed on. Maybe if there were small villages on some planets, some of which had inhabitants which you could trade with for rare items or something, I think that would be a better way around.

My opinion, anyway.