Read by Schine Better Respawning

Reaction score
    The way respawning works right now, it's fairly easy to get spawn camped, especially if you make a station design mistake or are just starting out. This is a form of dead-lock and should be avoided.

My solution is that people can set their respawn points, same as ever, but that they also have an option to spawn at a server-wide protected spawn point should the need arise.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    So, like, you can set multiple spawn points and just choose where to spawn?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Being able to choose from many locations you've set in the past, yet are within the same galaxy as where you died, sounds like the best of both worlds. A server-wide protected spawn is still a known spawn, and if you can't use a jump drive to escape because you're completely broke, your enemies will be able to shoot you when you try to fly away.

But if you can spawn at any shop or station you've visited and set spawn at previously (and haven't chosen to boot from the list, because let's face it, if we have this option we need a way to manage the list of locations), that could be anywhere, and other players wouldn't even know where to begin, and you could have plenty of time to recuperate.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    But if you can spawn at any shop or station you've visited and set spawn at previously (and haven't chosen to boot from the list, because let's face it, if we have this option we need a way to manage the list of locations), that could be anywhere, and other players wouldn't even know where to begin, and you could have plenty of time to recuperate.
    I agree with this, and wish this and the taxi system found on some servers to be in some essence in the vanilla game, though I can see this exploited to credit farm by going to shops that buy for cheap and get your friend to kill you so you could sell for higher somewhere else.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Being able to choose from many locations you've set in the past, yet are within the same galaxy as where you died, sounds like the best of both worlds. A server-wide protected spawn is still a known spawn, and if you can't use a jump drive to escape because you're completely broke, your enemies will be able to shoot you when you try to fly away.

Being able to spawn anywhere (ok, not quite anywhere, but close to it) could easily be exploited.
    I think that as the distance either from your main undeathinator(station undeathinator) or from where you died increased you would need to pay more and more credits to respawn there. Perhaps undeathinators on stations owned by your faction would be free, giving motivation to expand outward and not stayed holed up in your homebase

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    If you can spawn at any faction station for free, you can fling yourself to the far side of the universe instantly, for free, so long as you've built a station there. But that's still an exploit. You can build a station right next to an expensive shop and spawn there, and one at a cheap shop, and commit suicide as often as needed. Assuming the profit from selling crap is more than the cost of the stations.

Unless we remove players being able to keep their inventory contents when they die. But then, if you were flat broke and under siege, being able to spawn anywhere you've set as spawn previously wouldn't help you anyway; you'd just be stuck, broke, and without a core or any other components. If you can spawn anywhere you've been previously, like a really expensive station, and dont lose your inventory on death, and if the spawn cost for the distance isn't prohibitively high, you can make a profit anyway. If spawn cost is dependent on what's in your inventory, you're paying for everything as if you'd lost it. If spawn cost IS so high, someone who has no cash and only the stuff in their inventory couldn't spawn anywhere except right where they're being spawn camped. If you can only spawn at a few preselected locales that are available to everyone, your enemies can wait for you there and kill you as soon as you leave that sector, say if you have to fly out in only a core because you don't have/cant afford anything else. Those are also exploitable if any of them are near a shop that lets you sell for more than a shop near another public spawn. If you can only spawn at the same point repeatedly, you can be spawn killed repeatedly.

And thus, this conundrum leaves us with nowhere left to spawn. :p

Of course, players would still be making the same profit, or more if they still had credits to their name outside of the goods in their inventory, if they just flew there with a jump-capable ship. It would only take a little longer, your friend could come with you, and you don't have to fiddle with the spawn mechanics to avoid losing faction points for dying because you timed your suicide wrong.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    There is another solution... option to spawn at a random planet instead. Kind of like my suggested "crashed ship" start scenario, except without the crashed ship.

I also like the idea of being able to respawn resetting your credits and gear to the start values, in cases where you really get boned.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    The way I read the OP was more you had only two options. Not respawn anywhere you felt like whenever you felt like it.
    You spawn at your undeathinator or spawn and the initial server spawn.
    I would limit the second option to only if you had died X times in X minutes.
    If you are still being hunted at server spawn, you have 3 options. Call an admin, deal with it yourself, or log out. It depends how you feel about griefing and isn't really relevant to the thread.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    So, like, you can set multiple spawn points and just choose where to spawn?
    Calbiri and i were discussing this only the other day.

I'm not going to apply a planned prefix (yet), but it's definitely being thought about.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Will we be able to put undeathinators on ships anytime soon?
    That would be a bad idea. Ships can be blown up, faction homes can't. Also, planetary or asteroid bases only show up as planets or asteroids, so it would be harder for an enemy to find your spawn point if it's based at a planet.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Will we be able to put undeathinators on ships anytime soon?
    That would be a bad idea. Ships can be blown up,
    If we can figure out the secondary spawn point issue, then having the ship blown up becomes less of a problem.
    And if my ship happens to be larger then most bases? Having a spawn on a capital ship would do wonders for carrier/capital ship combat.
    And what if I get killed during EVA? My ship is fine, just 5 quadrants away with all my resources.

Spawn on a ship may not be a good idea in every situation, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be an option. Building a missile launcher on your bridge aimed at your core may be a bad idea, but there is nothing in the game/code that prevents it. As I recall, this is a sandbox game. Let me decide what is or is not a bad idea.

Now I have an idea for a trapped ship with a Big Red Button (tm). :D

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    The way I read the OP was more you had only two options. Not respawn anywhere you felt like whenever you felt like it.
    You spawn at your undeathinator or spawn and the initial server spawn.
    I would limit the second option to only if you had died X times in X minutes.
    If you are still being hunted at server spawn, you have 3 options. Call an admin, deal with it yourself, or log out. It depends how you feel about griefing and isn't really relevant to the thread.
    Thats the way I read the OP also