better performance for low spec players

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    hello i want to suggest some option to turn off animation on blocks like shields-power-power tanks to improve gaming performance for low spec players or simply for those who get lagged by these things.. for example i was playing perfectly untill i started to build a huge mothership wich has near 60k shield-power blocks atm and the animations from them cut off my fps to less than half .. so turning of the animations would be great i guess such as there is for thrusters

Reaction score
    There are so few animations in the game as it is, I highly doubt turning off a handfull will improve performance much at all.

Your cause of lag was more likely the massive ship, not the animations.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    rather then having the options limited to merely the animations, we need more fps gaining options. give us more features to turn off, yet keep the game running. when you have a pos pc, and want to build a mega build, it gets hard to run even the client alone. i use servers to help me cope with my crap pc, but even still, if i can get more out of this thing, then all the better.

Reaction score
    I\'m pretty sure that if you put blocks right next to the shield dispensers, the covered side wont actually be rendered. So if you make a solid case filled with shield dispensers, and covered with hulls or something, that should help you a bit. I am not completely sure about this, but it is how i think it works. Try it out maybe?

- Werty

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I highly doubt the 2D animations have anything at all to do with this. Speaking from experience with programming with DirectX (not openGL though), all that happens to change an animation frame is that a simple, single rectangle, made up of 4 ints, is altered slightly, with this probably only 2 ints would change if the animation frames are horizontally or vertically adjacent in the texture files which I think they are. This rectangle effectively cuts out the relevant piece of the texture to render it in place of the last. Keep in mind everything else will have a rectangle too to divide it\'s texture out of the file, and these all get processed each frame. Also, each texture needs to only be loaded in graphical memory once, so the memory space taken up doesn\'t even need to be duplicated for each block.

So, unless the game is extremely horribly coded, 2D animations will have practically no impact whatsoever.. unless you\'re playing on a 1980s calculator of course.

Werty would also be correct in saying that block faces aren\'t rendered if there\'s another block touching that face (occluded), you can see that easily by flying through your ship in build mode. i.e. When you\'re inside blocks, you can see through any adjacent attached ones.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    as i stated on the title of my post i said for \"low spec players\" .. so yeah for people who have crap pcs.. mostly.. also i stated that im building HEAVY ship so doesnt matter if animations get covered by putting a block in front of it while im putting another block with animation in it.. if the animation doesnt work for the 60k blocks it shud still be working for like the 6k blocks that are facing outside.. and i cant cover them until i finish building so yeah.. its still lagging me bad.. building this shit at 1-10 fps making this really anoying to me.. dunno if it takes too much work to put a \"turn off button\" for those animations.. i mean not every1 has last gen pc.. some of us still have pcs with like single core or things like that... so turning that off would help.. i know u wont understand cuz in ur pc it would run perfectly but i want to run it perfectly too

thnx for reading and hope itll be taken in mind cya