Better ideas for maps (lets hear yours too!). Also, minor nav ideas.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    As many of you may already know, you can get a little peek at the current really-rough in-progress "map prototype" currently in-game by pressing shift-P. As it happens, that map is... well, rather iffy. I'm fairly certain most of us could think of some better ways to represent things with maps. So lets do so. I'll start first.

First thing's first, if every single randomly spawned station, planet, and other whatnot get automatically put into maps, using them will be a pain in just about ANY configuration due to the sheer clutter of stuff in the map. Which is one of the issues with the current prototype. As for how to deal with this... well, once maps get worked on a bit more in any form, perhaps a new block type could be added that adds objects its placed on to the map when turned on. Options to allow you to show/hide natural objects could also work. Finally, a way of being able to track players would be good. Only fellow faction members, for sanity reasons, but still.

If maps were to get added as customizable items, some coding work would be needed to get it so that inventory items can be made to be useable while inside a ship (so you can look at it without getting out). An alternative for "personal maps" could be to have it saved as part of a player's data. In this event one would not be able to "trade" them, but then captain's logs could be used to record coordinates if the need to trade arose.

Now then, how should the map be laid out? The current prototype is, well, reasonably straight forward, but too cluttered in appearance due to the way it draws out sectors (this is BEFORE we add all the objects to it as well). It also doesn't indicate your current direction very well.

So what better ways are there? Perhaps a 2D map with height indicators would work. That is, a flat grid surface represents the universe as it is at sectors with a Y value of 0. An object on this map is marked at the X and Z coordinates on this grid. If the Y coordinate is not 0, then a line extends from this mark either upward or downward an appropriate distance to indicate how far off the horizontal the object is. Its by no means perfect, and will be just as troublesome if every. single. shop. and. station. is shown on it. But would be workable. Preferably, an indicator will show which way you are facing.

On that note, some things that could be nice:

1. Some form of "compass", so we don't need to have HUD indicators for adjacent sectors. This "compass" could be any number of things. It could for instance have a fighter-jet style artificial-horizon-HUD with attitude markings to indicate your pitch relative to the horizontal X-Z plane.

2. There is currently a visual graphic for the background that shows the galaxy. It is also about 20 degrees off from "actual horizonal," which makes it troublesome at times because I keep subconsciously trying to use it as a visual reference. Rotate the darn thing.

3. A toggleable option for "auto-level" When enabled, your ship will attempt to automatically roll until the roll-axis is level with the X-Z plane. It would not turn the ship in any way (neither left-right or up-down). It would only affect role. Having an option for turning on automated system to keep you right-side up would be nice. This would be unnecessary if artificial horizon attitude indicators are around, though, as those would convey your roll status along with your pitch status.

So, anyone have other ideas for styles of maps that would work? Be they examples from other games or whatever, lets hear them!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'m sure at least someone has a good example of a good looking 3D map style from somewhere.

Raz

Reaction score
    Dont know if anyone has played any of the x series by egosoft but I\'ve always thought the in game map was done incredibly well. Aside from having a toggle for 2d/3d view and indicators that show roll/pitch/yaw/x/y/z each map object type be it ship/station/asteroid/other can be toggled. I think some of these features can be highly beneficial to navigation such as toggles for some objects and a better directional indicator of the player and the ability to set personal waypoints

On a side note: I think it would be neat to have a block that would project the 3d map from it and it be sizable that would itself be realtime as well (ex. having a 3d projection block in the middle of a plan table in a tactical room of a cap ship/station/base and have a size option when the player gets in it so it can be made to fit the room or table)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Google failed at finding a decent screenshot of the map, and I don\'t have HW2 installed at the moment, but it had a fairly intuitive and option laden map.

The X series maps are good for single sector or 2D space, but not really 3D space.

The map thingie that is already in the game (no not that mini mini-map in the upper right, the p shift one) is very unique and I would love to see it used. But it would need filters, direction indicators. Oh lightbulb! Maybe pressing P by itself (or some other keybind idk) would bring up a holographic compass around your ship, with the main arrow pointing towards 0,0,0. Or maybe pointing to the sector \"in front\" you, higher in the (X,Y,Z?) Z direction I think. Any direction should work as long as it always points that way. A compass in the main HUD would be very useful, but please don\'t make it as intrusive as those sidebar thingies. I\'m very happy with how easy the texture pack is to change, I made those bars invisible ASAP.

And waypoints, oh man do we need saveable waypoints, not just at stations or planets sometimes I want a random waypoint in some random spot in space.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Looks like it follows the idea I was thinking of (2D surface with relative heights put in to indicate vertical coordinate values).

On the note of other systems, one of my favorite Radar-type displays I\'ve seen was the one from the Freespace series. Its the center bottom thing in the following screenshots.

Basically, the area in the center of the radar is the area ahead of you, the 4 areas around it are your left, right, above, and down. The rear are basically stretched around the outermost area in a ring, which makes it easy to know which way to turn to most quickly look at a dot that is almost behind you. Also, if you have a current target, that target has a larger dot then normal on the radar.

On that note, in Freespace, turrets do not have their own icons, but rather are \"subtargets\" of a main target. This is something that starmade could use, to prevent clutter of target indicators whenever a capital ship with turrets and docked things is around. We could also use a new filter option or two in the nav menu that hides docked objects from the list to make it easier to look around in areas with lots of docked things.

Freespace doesn\'t have a real \"map\" though, outside of its briefing screens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaMlSwDdWzc

Watch one if you want. Its good for briefings, but would not be suitable for a map in starmade without fusing it with the Star Conflict style a bit.

Here are some gameplay videos from Freespace 2 if you want a look at the radar (or gameplay) some more. The game itself is old, but a while back the company released the game\'s source code, and a coordinated fan project has been continually updating the graphics and models on their own, so it can still look pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBC5d5gvM6c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff5aCE4Wz0E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXTEZB2-OE4

Its worth noting that it follows classic sci-fi fallacy number one: spaceship momentum shifts on its own when the ship turns, as if it were a fighter in an atmosphere or a ship in an ocean. Not realistic, but still good to use sometimes simply for gameplay purposes. If need be, you can make some excuse that the convenient seemingly infinite-power generation system interacts with subspace or the space-time-continuum in some manner that results in \"space drag.\"

Reaction score
    But I do like the the \"new block type\" idea. Perhaps a block for each type of object could be added. One for life signs(extremely short range..like in-ship range), one for natural objects, one to detect ships, one for players, and one for stations and shops. They could be like any current weapon: The range scales up the more of the blocks are added with bonus range for specific patterns. I think they should be only placed on the outside of the ship, in a sensor array, with the exception of the internal life sign sensor.