Better FPS(suggestion how to improve it)

serge1944

Grand Admiral of The Infection Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Hello,
    So I noticed some things that make fps drops that are realy obvious.(English is not my native language).

Critics:

First:I noticed that for some reason and no reson at all,blocks that we can not see are generated.
    Second:No rendering from far away;you can see the same block type and texture as you see it from up close.
    Third:Generating blocks that you see are not first in queue,its a whole groupe of blocks that are in the queue(example:planets generatins starts from the middle by generating the underground cubes that dont matter because you are not supposed to see them instead of the cubes on the surface.

Improvement:

First:Make blocks that we can only see and blocks that are one cube behind only be generated(huge Fps performance will be gained by there)blocks that are two cubes behind the cubes that you see will not be gnerated(Idea from other games).
    Second:Rendering going far away will make texture and blocks shape be less polished and less texture same for effects.
    Third:Make planets generate the blocks on the surface first then only two blocks of deph the oder blocks will be awaiting an explosion or the player mining.

All of this can be use using triggers around the player,for the first one and third one use a trigger in a from of a cone following the players face and some triggers messuring the player disstances with the blocks.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Level of Detail was something schema talked about in the Dev Q&A. He wants to do that to help scale.

When it comes to not rendering blocks though. I've not seen many people attempt to build it that way. Does minecraft actually do this? I'm sure people have figured out better ways then raycasting for this.

Reaction score
    I don't believe this will really affect FPS as these suggestions are for generation. THings that effect FPS are things like number of draw calls, number of polygons to be rendered, screen resolution, real time lighting, ray casting and explosion (from weapons, mining and explosions). I believe the game already only renders cubes that are not surrounded by other cubes. Lodding will help as it will reduce the polys to be rendered.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    When you De-Render something behind you and you turn around fast, Instead of gaining performance you lose it because of rapid re rendering.

And if you try to solve this issue you will likely end up with popin (AC:S good example) or you just won't do it at all.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Can the game remind blocks that were rendered last frame?
    And everything that wasn't rendered last frame can be with lower details.
    Except for near blocks in Astronaut mode.​

Everything that is only visible for a frame is blurred to the human eye anyway.

The holes in the picture can be hidden under scanner-interference effects.

And it would be a huge FPS gain if your view remains static (mini-monitor/camera on a specific target)

serge1944

Grand Admiral of The Infection Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I based myself from other games that use this i forgott something blocks that are surrounding you must be generated to avoid you seeing the generated block.
    If block that are generated(example a cube of z:3blocks,x:3blocks and y:3blocks.)and you were facing this cube only the blocks that you are seeing and the blocks behind thoes blocks will be generated the rest no(for thoes ho say generating takes fps generating takes fps only in huge amount generating one to tree blocks deosnt take at all.