Better FPS for low power laptops.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I currently have a laptop that can't play star-made on planets without FPS dropping down to 3. Could there be a setting to disable smooth lighting (not normal maps, I mean like lighting altogether)? And could there be an option to disable animated textures, those two things really crash my performance.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Animated textures can be turned off in the block config.

Open the blockconfig.xml file in the Starmade/data/config directory with a text editor, notepad will do fine. Use the search function CMD+F for mac, CTRL+F (i think?) for windows and type <Animated>true</Animated> into the search bar. Replace all results with <Animated>false</Animated>

Lighting can't be disabled, but i tend to give this as a rough guide for more FPS;

Resolution ; 1280 x 800* (a lower res in the same native ratio as your monitor)
    Fullscreen ; on
    FOV; 85.0
    Max Segments; 750 (or lower depending on your needs)
    Shadows; OFF
    Normal mapping; OFF
    Procedual background; OFF
    Texture pack; Pixel - 64
    VBO (dependent on system / OFF)
    Vertical Sync; OFF
    Hi res background; OFF
    Enable background; OFF
    bloom; OFF
    Framebuffer OFF
    Atmosphere shader; OFF
    2d texture compression; ON

Ingame options, turn OFF space particles and stars.

With a low 'Max Segment' value planets won't fully load, but it should stop you getting down to 3fps.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Could there be a setting to disable smooth lighting (not normal maps, I mean like lighting altogether)?
    You probably don't want to do this, given that it would be just like the lighten tool when in adv. build mode. We all know that makes it very hard to distinguish blocks like white hardened hull.

If turning all your settings down to minimum doesn't solve the issue enough itself, I really think you should plan on buying a better laptop soon mate. My ASUS laptop from 2010 still runs starmade pretty dang well

kiddan

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    You probably don't want to do this, given that it would be just like the lighten tool when in adv. build mode. We all know that makes it very hard to distinguish blocks like white hardened hull.

If turning all your settings down to minimum doesn't solve the issue enough itself, I really think you should plan on buying a better laptop soon mate. My ASUS laptop from 2010 still runs starmade pretty dang well
    By turning off lighting I meant like minecraft's smooth lighting option, and yes I am getting a faster laptop very soon so this will not be a problem then. [:)]

kiddan

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Animated textures can be turned off in the block config.

Open the blockconfig.xml file in the Starmade/data/config directory with a text editor, notepad will do fine. Use the search function CMD+F for mac, CTRL+F (i think?) for windows and type <Animated>true</Animated> into the search bar. Replace all results with <Animated>false</Animated>

Lighting can't be disabled, but i tend to give this as a rough guide for more FPS;

Resolution ; 1280 x 800* (a lower res in the same native ratio as your monitor)
    Fullscreen ; on
    FOV; 85.0
    Max Segments; 750 (or lower depending on your needs)
    Shadows; OFF
    Normal mapping; OFF
    Procedual background; OFF
    Texture pack; Pixel - 64
    VBO (dependent on system / OFF)
    Vertical Sync; OFF
    Hi res background; OFF
    Enable background; OFF
    bloom; OFF
    Framebuffer OFF
    Atmosphere shader; OFF
    2d texture compression; ON

Ingame options, turn OFF space particles and stars.

With a low 'Max Segment' value planets won't fully load, but it should stop you getting down to 3fps.
    Thanks! this really helped, I can build on planets now on about 12/18 fps without trouble.

ImperialDonut

Overlord of the North Pole
    Reaction score
    Thanks! this really helped, I can build on planets now on about 12/18 fps without trouble.
    Quick reminder too that the amount of blocks in your vicinity is the biggest factor of them all, and natural objects dont get much bigger than planets.

So if you can play on a planet with 15 ish FPS, you can probably get way higher FPS in empty space. Meaning you can happily build a ship near a shop lag-free and only once it reaches a decent size will you start hitting that 12-18 range again.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    What you need to do is wait for more optimization. :P

kiddan

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Currently I'm using a Acer laptop that runs minecraft on 22fps (settings all turned down) and cobalt, 15fps. So I will be very glad when I get a new computer. Also I will be doing let's plays and tutorials on my new computer.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    what are your specs anyway? they sound extremely crappy

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    There probably should be more performance-related options for low-end computers.
    - Disabling animated textures should really be an in-game option.
    - A safe mode of some sort for lighting would help.
    - Smaller adjustments on the low end of the max segments setting, like 100, 150, 200, 250 instead of only 100 and 250. I can render 100 with no lag but 250 gets annoying fast if I happen to look in the direction of a station or titan, but 100 will not render the entire ship I'm working on.
    - Someone should probably make a 32x or 16x texture pack.
    - Yes, we need a lot more optimization. A... lot... more.